Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

He was special enough for Barcelona to fork out £142 million for. Whether hes is that player now who knows but if anyone can uptap that talent Gerrard can

based on what? Has Gerrard some amazing track record of untapping lost talent

Just now, Zatman said:

based on what? Has Gerrard some amazing track record of untapping lost talent

Based on the fact he played with him at Liverpool and highly rates him. He didnt do that badly at Bayern either. Big step up for us this type of player. 

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Based on the fact he played with him at Liverpool and highly rates him. He didnt do that badly at Bayern either. Big step up for us this type of player. 

so Gerrard has no record of untapping talent. Should our scouting policy be sign players Gerrard played with as he can get the best out of them? 

Albert Riera is probably still playing and we should sell Watkins for Fernando Torres

He wasnt even a regular starter at Bayern

Edited by Zatman

44 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Stanley Victor Collymore

Milan Baros

Emile Ivanhoe Heskey

Come on, us lot have been spolit for years.

I was actually so excited for the Collymore signing it was unreal. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

which can lead to financial divisions in the squad especially if he underperforms

Maybe, if he were a permanent signing.

Even then players know a name like his carries a lot more clout than theirs.

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

so Gerrard has no record of untapping talent. Should our scouting policy be sign players Gerrard played with as he can get the best out of them? 

Albert Riera is probably still playing and we should sell Watkins for Fernando Torres

Who knows maybe it wont work, maybe it will but I would be excited to see him come. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Your reaction against this is quite something! Do you dislike the player that much? 

45 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

If it happens and it works, just imagine. If it doesn't it will be painful. 6 months though, I trust the club.

Not even 6 months. Mid-Jan (by the time he signs) to mid-May. 4 months or 19 games.

11 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Not really, its 5 or 10 million in wages for 6 months.

That's quite a bit for a punt. Just for the fact it quells any lack of ambition talk I'm for it. 

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He played 25 minutes of a champions league final for them in 2020 so whilst I get you’re not a fan, the pedigree of signing is massive for us. You can’t deny that. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

The main concern with this is cost/wages imo… I hope the club know what they are doing and negotiate appropriately… 

Other than that, it would still be a major coup for us. He’d be the most talented player at the club (apart from, possibly,  an in form Bailey), it’s just about getting good form out of him and steering clear of injuries. SG may well be able to get the best out of him…

An on form Coutinho would be a vast improvement on our existing attackers and could help us to attract other players of  a high calibre… would certainly raise some eyebrows. Might help us get a few other deals over the line that may have seemed unlikely e.g. Zakaria.

I’m certainly enjoying the growing South American influence in our squad… 😃

As others have said, I would much rather see Coutinho in our side than the likes of Trez and El Ghazi (please get rid of both). The deal can’t really be any worse than the likes of Drinkwater and Barkley either (but we obviously expect a lot better than that! 😆).

Just best to take a wait and see approach really… but would be an exciting signing and bring some positivity to the club at least. Raise excitement levels and he could actually thrive here… the only reason we have a chance this time is because of SG though, otherwise PC wouldn’t ever have considered us as an option…

It would be a sign of ambition…

Â