Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

How are people against a loan of Countinho? It's a seriously low risk, high potential move.

It's also a massive statement and shows our owners will back Gerrard with big money

I'd be over the moon if we pull it off.

I think the problem is that this is a higher priced MON or Steve Bruce style signing. Sign a player you know that was good once and throw big money at him and hope for the best

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Clearly a Gerrard signing, thus his reputation is on the line here. It's what makes me optimistic about the signing. 

Not necessarily. Purslow has a serious hard on for Liverpool, which is why we have Gerrard in the first place. 

• Like 1

Hmmmm feels like a classic Everton signing this. He will be on massive wages so he will be expected to play, which is dangerous as he hasn't played much football for last year - feels a bit like the Barkley loan again. Thinking long term, if he's going to be a blocker to Chukwuemeka or Bailey into the first team then I don't really see the point. 

• Like 2

He's been a disaster at Barca, was decent at Bayern and was a £140m player just 3 years ago. On a 6 month loan it could be a masterstroke. Either way it'll be fun. It's the kind of loan/bargain we'd have envied from other clubs in the past. 

• Like 4

Just now, Keyblade said:

We can laugh because it didn't work out for him at Barca and Bayern (poor guy), but I think he'd still comfortably be our best player if he joined

If he wanted to be... 

Which is the problem, he's not played a lot, he's been injured, he's flopped massively at barca and he's hugely well paid 

I'll be frank I think a 6 month loan to us is an embarrassing move for him, his career trajectory has fallen off a cliff

We're already having a chuckle about grealish being a Palace player in 5 years... This is the same, maybe worse 

God knows what his head will be like 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Hmmmm feels like a classic Everton signing this. He will be on massive wages so he will be expected to play, which is dangerous as he hasn't played much football for last year - feels a bit like the Barkley loan again. Thinking long term, if he's going to be a blocker to Chukwuemeka or Bailey into the first team then I don't really see the point. 

The first few months of James at Everton and Barkley at Villa were quite positive. If we can get that with Coutinho -- job done.

as it stands I am neutral on this one, more leaning negatively atm. it has the potential to be a coup, but could equally be a disaster. I don't want it to disrupt the squad if he asks big time or thinks we aere below him. However if he comes here motivated, humble and with the desire to contribute what he can to the team to help us get as high up the table as possible then I will be for it.

we need to temper our expectations however, this is not going to be the same coutinho from 9 seasons ago and he is going to need a period of build up training before he can make a serious impact imo. the signing won't be a panacea and will need to be supported with physicality and grit, which are more pressing areas for us atm.

lets see what happens and i hope he hits the ground running and puts in dazzling performances each game, would love to be proven wrong and for gerrard to be able to get the best out of his ex teammate who hasn't hit the heights everyone expected him to reach just a few years ago

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Hes a special talent, at 29 far from finished. Gerrard rates him highly and might well be able to unlock that talent again. 

He really isnt a special talent. If he was he would have been a regular at Barcelona, Bayern and Inter

He was a very good player but not special

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think the problem is that this is a higher priced MON or Steve Bruce style signing. Sign a player you know that was good once and throw big money at him and hope for the best

Not really, its 5 or 10 million in wages for 6 months.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

He really isnt a special talent. If he was he would have been a regular at Barcelona, Bayern and Inter

He was brilliant at Liverpool, they sold him for 140m.  He was special at least at that time, that’s hard to argue against.

This would be a massive coup if we sign him even on loan. 

I imagine Gerrard has a lot to do with this but also reckon this would be a good thing to help convince other players to sign too. 

yes, it’s an expensive risk but aren’t all transfers. 

• Like 2

Just now, Zatman said:

He was special enough for Barcelona to fork out £142 million for. Whether hes is that player now who knows but if anyone can uptap that talent Gerrard can

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

He was brilliant at Liverpool, they sold him for 140m.  He was special at least at that time, that’s hard to argue against.

He was never worth that much. Barcelona were a joke and felt they needed to show they were big dogs in the transfer market after Neymar left so spent 380 million on Griezmann, Coutinho and Dembele

Also that Liverpool team he looked good in is not the same as today, I don't think he would have been in the title winning squad.

Edited by Zatman

Â