Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

4 minutes ago, Strog said:

Play with one up top with Buendia and Phil as number tens, it gives either one of them to drop deeper to collect the ball. We just seemed a little stifled at times and slow to make things happen.

But your dropping players who are creating and or scoring for one that's struggling to have any impact on the game. We have a big squad and we should be using it, Countiho should be rested and brought on for Beundia later in the game.

Beundia goal yesterday was all him, it was a thing of real beauty, he has to start in a team that has two forwards in it not one forward and an out of form Countiho. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tinker said:

But your dropping players who are creating and or scoring for one that's struggling to have any impact on the game. We have a big squad and we should be using it, Countiho should be rested and brought on for Beundia later in the game.

Beundia goal yesterday was all him, it was a thing of real beauty, he has to start in a team that has two forwards in it not one forward and an out of form Countiho. 

Fair comment, we do have a deep squad. It just didn’t quite work at time yesterday for me until Buendia came on. I’m hoping SG can find the right team and formation to get the best out of the talented player we have. Phil doesn’t need to start every game, I just don’t think he works well in a two up top system.

On 13/08/2022 at 15:07, CarryOnVilla said:

We were sold a dud 

On 13/08/2022 at 15:09, AV82 said:

Never should have signed him permanently.

On 11/08/2022 at 20:47, rodders0223 said:

He's not performing. He hasn't performed well for 4 years.

The guy has gotten 5 goals and 3 assists in 17 prem starts for us. Not exactly a "dud". He was pretty good against City just 3 games ago. 

He's not the player he was at Liverpool but £17m for a player with that return so far is good value to me. 

Start Emi over him though, it's pretty obvious he needs to know his place isn't guaranteed. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

The guy has gotten 5 goals and 3 assists in 17 prem starts for us. Not exactly a "dud". He was pretty good against City just 3 games ago. 

He's not the player he was at Liverpool but £17m for a player with that return so far is good value to me. 

Start Emi over him though, it's pretty obvious he needs to know his place isn't guaranteed. 

Most of those numbers came in the first few games with us, then his form rapidly dropped off and we still bought him… we were sold a dud 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Strog said:

Fair comment, we do have a deep squad. It just didn’t quite work at time yesterday for me until Buendia came on. I’m hoping SG can find the right team and formation to get the best out of the talented player we have. Phil doesn’t need to start every game, I just don’t think he works well in a two up top system.

Judging by Bournemouth he is even worse in a one up top system

for some reason in the first few games,  he would get the ball and give it back, pass side ways etc. Not sure if it was lack of players making runs fwd but too often he did nothing in possession, which makes no sense given the ability he has.

He should be playing similarly to Buendia rather than continually dropping deep to get the ball.  Emi had plenty of possession starting 20 yards further forward than PC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

for some reason in the first few games,  he would get the ball and give it back, pass side ways etc. Not sure if it was lack of players making runs fwd but too often he did nothing in possession, which makes no sense given the ability he has.

Doesn't seem as brave as Buendia when on the ball. He just recycles it. We can get Luiz to do that. We need you to thread the ball through to our forwards Phil!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Strog said:

Play with one up top with Buendia and Phil as number tens, it gives either one of them to drop deeper to collect the ball. We just seemed a little stifled at times and slow to make things happen.

It hasn't worked though. Its one or other to me and right now I would start Buendia, but we are lucky to have two outstanding no 10s. 

Mind boggling that Coutinho keeps getting picked despite not doing anything. 

Meanwhile Buendia always makes things happen but obviously that is not enough? 

Just now, Pinebro said:

At least SG said he is pushing for a start now.

If Phil is cramping after an hour and his replacement gets a goal and plays well, surely it's time for PC to start off the bench.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PaulC said:

It hasn't worked though. Its one or other to me and right now I would start Buendia, but we are lucky to have two outstanding no 10s. 

It’s a good problem to have  for sure 

I don't like the insinuation that has been cropping up that if people don't see Coutinho doing magical things, they automatically think he's bad. I don't think anyone is expecting 16/17 Coutinho to be rocking up every day. It's also not like Buendia is playing like prime Maradona himself. He's just effective. Something Phil hasn't been for some time. It's that simple.

• Like 1

I think we can play Coutinho and Buendia IF we change the midfield. Ramsey would have to be benched and you’d play Luiz Kamara McGinn or even Luiz Iroegbunam Kamara. Those 3 need to play more disciplined, recycle the ball and pick the right passes in the space to the forward options of Digne Coutinho Watkings Buendia Cash.

The other options is Coutinho plays off the left and have Bailey on the right, with Buendia in the middle and our most defensive two midfielders as a double pivot (lol)

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

I know right. Crackers not playing him unless he of course got an injury and missed some training and hasn’t been 100% ready. 

The manager has already stated as much and reaffirmed Emi B will get plenty of starts.

Playing Coutinho is like playing with 10 men at the moment, really don't get whats going on with him

Even more baffling that Gerrard continually picks him ahead of Buendia who is in the prime of his career

11 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Whats he done since he signed though? looked woeful every preseason game and its continued into the season. 

Maybe he'll come good again, but what kind of message is it sending continually picking him ahead of our current best player and record signing who looks great every time hes given a chance

Â