Dry January

robby b

Not by design or choice, but i've yet to have a drink in January so far (well, apart from the early hours of New Years Day). 

I wasn't planning to be dry but i've got nothing planned this month, at the moment, and haven't particularly fancied drinking at home. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Xela said:

In Bosch, Harry drinks 'fat tire' beer, which I think is from Colorado?

Yup - Fort Collins about 2 hours north of Denver.

Honestly though, Fat Tire has been around a while and is nationally distributed (hence they could afford to get their product placed in a show like Bosch!)

Like the West Mids, the best brewers have a small little operation and it's wonderfully satisfying when you find them!

This is the first beer I picked out when I moved here just because I liked the can. Still one of my favorite IPA's - just splendid.

https://tommyknocker.com/

Seasonal-Placer-PA.jpg

• Like 2

This is a good point, we can do a detox whenever we want... (to give the liver a holiday, reset tolerance level, improve sleep (supposedly!), etc... ). Some people do it in January because it's tied in with new year resolutions. But it could be Fab Feb instead or 7th March to 18th April or whatever. 

5 minutes ago, robby b said:

This is a good point, we can do a detox whenever we want... (to give the liver a holiday, reset tolerance level, improve sleep (supposedly!), etc... ). Some people do it in January because it's tied in with new year resolutions. But it could be Fab Feb instead or 7th March to 18th April or whatever. 

Some of my friends did October last year

16 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

Some of my friends did October last year

Yes, or Sober October. 🙂 I've been doing that too since 2019.

In my post above I put "improve sleep (supposedly!)" because personally I always suffer from insomnia, even when I'm on the wagon for a month or two. 🙁 But it sounds like for a lot of people their sleep improves significantly when they have a rest from alcohol (or stop drinking permanently).

I hadn’t intentionally been doing Dry January but haven’t fancied a drink for a while.

However it was my mate’s 50th yesterday so was in the pub from 330pm drinking and got home around 230am…

probably won’t bother again for a few weeks

• 2 weeks later...

A few people were asking for tips on how to make it easier to cut down or stop for a given period of time and I seem to have stumbled across an unusual method this year... The last few years I've had between 6 and 10 units in a day (beyond moderation) about two or three times a month 😔 but I'm worse with sugar! 🙄 Chocolate, cookies, cake, jam... :s

So... this month on top of not drinking I've also been working hard at reducing my intake of free sugar (added sugar and fruit juice too) and actually measuring the grams in each item (working it out approximately from the nutrition tables on the labels) and adding them up at the end of the day. My aim is to finish this month with an average of 37g a day, because these days the WHO and the NHS recommend a limit of 30g per day, (which is certainly hard for the average Brit or American, including me, to achieve! The last ten years my typical daily amount has been about 45 or maybe 50).

Anyway... although it's hard to give up one thing we like and reduce an other at the same time, actually this dry month has flown by for me because I've been focusing hard on the sugar side of my nutrition and this has really distracted me from thinking about alcohol! Cunning. 🤓

I'm staying 'off the sauce' till April and then comes the harder part... 100% moderation till the end of the year! 😛😬 For the first time ever. Finally. 💪 But as a diversion tactic I'll now try to keep the sugar challenge going all year too (say, between 30 and 35g most days with a few occasional treat days of 40/45). 🤞For me my diversions this year are sugar reduction, cooking, chess vs a computer and running but it could be all kinds of other things, whatever suits the individual... maybe saving more money and keeping track of it or playing tennis more regularly, a long country walk every week, a new TV series or two, more films, etc... 

Other hobbies! (Other than the alcohol hobby!) This is the key. Keeping yourself busy with other things = less time to drink or to think about drink. And a new lifestyle and better physical and mental health can gradually develop. 

• Like 1