Dry January

robby b

8 hours ago, MNVillan said:

Not sure where to put this, but I’ve been mostly sober for 3 and 1/2 months now and today of all days I’m really struggling with my sobriety. Wondering how other sober people avoid drinking when they get the itch

Not sure if this would be helpful or actually a hindrance for you but previously when I've don't things like dry January or giving it up for lent, I've always allowed myself to drink whenever I wanted to and this freedom helped me not stress that it's completely off limits. However, when ever I did have a drinking day (work night out, stag do, or six nations game etc), I would always add two extra days (one for the missed day and one as the cost) on to when I could finish. Knowing I could drink if I wanted to but that I'd have to make up for it always let me do much better then cold turkey. 

11 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Channelling energy into other things is good too - maybe spend sometime cooking yourself a good meal

I'm glad I don't feel the need to give up drinking, because if I did, that would be one of the worst things about it. An (evening) meal without a glass or two of nice wine* would be depressingly lacking for me. 

[* Or cold lager with spicy food]. 

33 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Drink a Pepsi max. Love a glass of red. Love a peroni. Love a bit of ale.

Nothing tastes as good as Pepsi max. Fact

If you're a child. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

Not necessary,I like a glass of Pepsi,especially on really hot days. 

Sure, so do I (we only get one or two of those a year). But with a nice sit down meal? Deserves a custodial sentence at the very least. 

Our nice gentle walk turned into a 4.5 hour hike up and down very muddy hills whilst carrying a 4 year old for most of it. 

Was in no mood to cook dinner (planned a roast) after that so stopped at the pub. Their only non-alcoholic beer was Heineken so I'll be honest I caved and ordered a Birra Moretti. 

I've got no excuse for the 2nd pint mind. 

We go again tomorrow. 

• Like 1

A week tomorrow dry and sober and cracked the weekend, I know it sounds crap but I can not remember the last time I have gone that long. Even had twenty mins on the heavy bag earlier when I got back from the lads football (normally the first thing I would do is crack a beer and pour a large measure of cognac before settling down in front of the tv with the rest of the bottle) Long way to go but it’s a start

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

A week tomorrow dry and sober and cracked the weekend, I know it sounds crap but I can not remember the last time I have gone that long. Even had twenty mins on the heavy bag earlier when I got back from the lads football (normally the first thing I would do is crack a beer and pour a large measure of cognac before settling down in front of the tv with the rest of the bottle) Long way to go but it’s a start

Fantastic! Weekends are always the hardest for me

• Like 1

Thanks to a combination of wanting to do at least a short dry spell, the wife planning to do the whole month, and her having Covid meaning us not being able to go anywhere as well her taste being a bit off, I've gone through the weekend, and by extension the whole month thus far (except the bit after midnight on NYE before going to sleep) without any alcohol. Perhaps shockingly for some and not so much for others, I honestly couldn't remember the last weekend that I haven't touched a drop of booze, if it has indeed ever happened before in my adult life.

We got through a selection of mostly crappy non-alcoholic beers, but aside from the taste of a decent drink I haven't missed it all. Will be meeting a friend next weekend to share a selection of the great craft haul he's brought back from Colorado, so that will be that for me. And it really is about enjoying the taste of nice beers rather than the alcohol, at least that's what I'm convinced of, but how can you actually separate the two? I'm glad that it will be next weekend and not midweek at least because that means I'll now quite easily get through almost half the month, though it's really only one weekend and I don't have any particular desire to drink much if at all during the week normally anyway.

17 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Thanks to a combination of wanting to do at least a short dry spell, the wife planning to do the whole month, and her having Covid meaning us not being able to go anywhere as well her taste being a bit off, I've gone through the weekend, and by extension the whole month thus far (except the bit after midnight on NYE before going to sleep) without any alcohol. Perhaps shockingly for some and not so much for others, I honestly couldn't remember the last weekend that I haven't touched a drop of booze, if it has indeed ever happened before in my adult life.

We got through a selection of mostly crappy non-alcoholic beers, but aside from the taste of a decent drink I haven't missed it all. Will be meeting a friend next weekend to share a selection of the great craft haul he's brought back from Colorado, so that will be that for me. And it really is about enjoying the taste of nice beers rather than the alcohol, at least that's what I'm convinced of, but how can you actually separate the two? I'm glad that it will be next weekend and not midweek at least because that means I'll now quite easily get through almost half the month, though it's really only one weekend and I don't have any particular desire to drink much if at all during the week normally anyway.

I don't know how I feel about this. I can take these other clowns giving up on the sweet nectar of the gods, but not you. May as well close the tipple thread now. 

• Thanks 1

On 09/01/2022 at 07:22, mjmooney said:

I'm glad I don't feel the need to give up drinking, because if I did, that would be one of the worst things about it. An (evening) meal without a glass or two of nice wine* would be depressingly lacking for me. 

[* Or cold lager with spicy food]. 

This is the perfect way to drink. It’s a healthy amount and it’s for enjoyment of the drink rather than getting pissed. 

• Thanks 1

Having my last dry day tonight before I go drink some awesome beers and meads tomorrow. I’ll have done 2 Fridays and 2 Saturdays in the month and almost exactly half way through the month so not bad, and I can’t imagine that this isn’t the longest I’ve ever been without alcohol since being 18 or probably younger.

Looking forward to tomorrow though now! See you in the tipple thread.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Having my last dry day tonight before I go drink some awesome beers and meads tomorrow. I’ll have done 2 Fridays and 2 Saturdays in the month and almost exactly half way through the month so not bad, and I can’t imagine that this isn’t the longest I’ve ever been without alcohol since being 18 or probably younger.

Looking forward to tomorrow though now! See you in the tipple thread.

Meads? What are they? I thought that was medieval wine made from honey. 🤔

14 minutes ago, robby b said:

Meads? What are they? I thought that was medieval wine made from honey. 🤔

It is made from honey yes, they’re pretty popular among beer drinkers too. I’m friends with a guy who is brewing them, and has quickly become one of the top rated “breweries” in the world by doing so!

https://untappd.com/FuriousMeads

I’m going to his place tomorrow to drink with another friend who’s brought beers back from Colorado.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

It is made from honey yes, they’re pretty popular among beer drinkers too. I’m friends with a guy who is brewing them, and has quickly become one of the top rated “breweries” in the world by doing so!

https://untappd.com/FuriousMeads

I’m going to his place tomorrow to drink with another friend who’s brought beers back from Colorado.

I am yet to have a bad beer since moving to Colorado. You can pick out any local beer and it'll range from solid to spectacular.

Coloardo also has the most micro - breweries per capita in North America :thumb:

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I am yet to have a bad beer since moving to Colorado. You can pick out any local beer and it'll range from solid to spectacular.

Coloardo also has the most micro - breweries per capita in North America :thumb:

In Bosch, Harry drinks 'fat tire' beer, which I think is from Colorado?