Dry January

robby b

I've been drinking less generally over the last year. Thursday night wine has been reduced from me and Mrs Sidcow sharing 1.5 - 2 bottles which basically entailed her having 1 large glass and me the rest to 1 bottle only opened. She may or may not partake but I won't open a second bottle if she does. 

Friday and Saturday was always 6 cans of beer. That's reduced to 4 or 5 now. 

Just those adjustments is a heck of a lot of alcohol reduction over a year but add into that I've only had 1 lads night out and 1 work doo with no corporate entertainment and no general lunchtime / after work drinks and most obviously zero Christmas drinks / parties I suspect my liver is currently in better shape than it's been for years. 

So I'm happy to carry on as I have been. 

That said as I've got work tomorrow I might have a quick Whisky before calling it a night. 

• Like 1

I'm still hungover from Sunday night so no booze sounds good as my liver hates me. Will finish off the small bits and pieces of booze in the house and then not buy anymore until we go away on February. 

• Like 1

I've done dry January for years. I can clearly see and feel the benefit on my fitness tracker (better sleep phases, more time in deep sleep, better heart rate), and so it's something the wife and I do every year. 

I've found that I can make some fairly nice "G&T's" with other ingredients which is essentially what gets us started on a Friday, so it helps a lot to find different things to substitute with. My last batch of home made IPA needs another month to clear anyhow, so it's a good time for a break.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Why make the worst month of the year even worse?

I guess one reason may be to concentrate all the misery into one month rather than make a nice month like June booze free.

I don't do it btw.

• Like 1

Best of luck to anyone doing it!

But I never 'got it'.

If you feel like giving up alcohol for 30 days is a big ask and a challenge to be celebrated, maybe you have a bit of a problem.

And what happens after those 30 days? Is it ok to drink then? Have you achieved something extraordinary and challenging in this time by not picking up a pint of lager? 

Just have a beer when you meet with mates, or a glass of wine with a good dinner. Don't have too much, keep everything balanced.

If you don't want to drink this week, don't. If you fancy a pint, have one. But finding a challenge in giving up alcohol for 30 days is not something that I can fully understand. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

But I never 'got it'.

If you feel like giving up alcohol for 30 days is a big ask and a challenge to be celebrated, maybe you have a bit of a problem.

And what happens after those 30 days? Is it ok to drink then? Have you achieved something extraordinary and challenging in this time by not picking up a pint of lager? 

Just have a beer when you meet with mates, or a glass of wine with a good dinner. Don't have too much, keep everything balanced.

If you don't want to drink this week, don't. If you fancy a pint, have one. But finding a challenge in giving up alcohol for 30 days is not something that I can fully understand. 

Without wanting to sound too smarmy...I'm the same, was talking to a guy about it Sunday - in a pub whilst getting pissed... That was a Christmas meet up thing, I now won't do anything in January that puts me in a position to want or need a drink, I'll go out for a meal with my wife, ill sit at home and watch the villa, I never understand the need for a beer, be it boredom or addiction or simply letting your hair down at the weekend or what - I drink at home alone maybe 2 times a year, maybe, as I sit here now I don't know when the next beer will come, probably end of Feb when my mom's fella visits for the first time since corona so I'll take him out to sample the local

That said I did do it once, 8 years ago but that was because I drank my January wages by about boxing day and I stop drinking completely until mid march, did two 30th birthdays in that time and they were horrible, wouldn't recommend that, if you have an event do the event and enjoy it, for me it was a money thing rather than an alcohol and health thing 

If you're doing dry January and you see it as a challenge or a big achievement when it finishes it should then lead on to general lifestyle changes afterwards, got an uncle who sits and watches eastenders and corrie 3 or 4 times a week with a 4 pack... He needs two lifestyle changes... Its no way to live your life 

Went to visit an elderly client once who always had a martini with her breakfast, she told me once that she'd almost driven her Jag into the River Severn on her way home from a party. Don't think she ever bothered with dry anything ever.

25 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

But I never 'got it'.

The spectrum of compulsive / addictive behaviours is pretty broad. You can find yourself giving in to temptation too frequently yet it still be far. far from being alcoholism. I have a sweeth tooth and indulge sugary snacks more than I should, I procrastinate more than I should, I arse about on my phone more than I should. I have these little bad habits that I'd like to improve. They don't ( or maybe the do, I dunno ) make me a chronic addict, as far as I'm aware, but if there was wider promotion for say "digital detox" I'd find it easier to use that as a starting point, than doing something on my own independently. 

You seem to be suggesting anyone who doesn't have a completely well-adjusted attitude to their health is basically an addict and shouldn't bother. 

Personally I go through spells, sometimes I go months only drinking at weekends, if i do drink, at other times there are frequent social events / evenings where I do end up drinking regularly. Having a month where you know a) other people are doing it, can be a great incentive aid to have a fallow month and re-set your health. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rodders said:

The spectrum of compulsive / addictive behaviours is pretty broad. You can find yourself giving in to temptation too frequently yet it still be far. far from being alcoholism. I have a sweeth tooth and indulge sugary snacks more than I should, I procrastinate more than I should, I arse about on my phone more than I should. I have these little bad habits that I'd like to improve. They don't ( or maybe the do, I dunno ) make me a chronic addict, as far as I'm aware, but if there was wider promotion for say "digital detox" I'd find it easier to use that as a starting point, than doing something on my own independently. 

You seem to be suggesting anyone who doesn't have a completely well-adjusted attitude to their health is basically an addict and shouldn't bother. 

Personally I go through spells, sometimes I go months only drinking at weekends, if i do drink, at other times there are frequent social events / evenings where I do end up drinking regularly. Having a month where you know a) other people are doing it, can be a great incentive aid to have a fallow month and re-set your health. 

I get the 'incentive' part and a reset to a healthier lifestyle. I'm all for that.

But I have heard various people treating it as a major challenge. I have my own small habits bordering on addictions, but I just feel like giving up alcohol for 30 days should not be difficult to anyone that does not have a certain level of addiction to it. 

I like to drink alcohol as much as the next person - but giving up booze should not be a challenging thing. And even if it is, there is really no harm in having a pint when you go to watch the Villa or it's your sister's birthday. 

Don't get me wrong - giving up alcohol is a good thing. But why for 30 days only.

Again, I support people that do it. I just don't get it.  

5 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I get the 'incentive' part and a reset to a healthier lifestyle. I'm all for that.

But I have heard various people treating it as a major challenge. I have my own small habits bordering on addictions, but I just feel like giving up alcohol for 30 days should not be difficult to anyone that does not have a certain level of addiction to it. 

I like to drink alcohol as much as the next person - but giving up booze should not be a challenging thing. And even if it is, there is really no harm in having a pint when you go to watch the Villa or it's your sister's birthday. 

Don't get me wrong - giving up alcohol is a good thing. But why for 30 days only.

Again, I support people that do it. I just don't get it.  

Its just become a thing. Society wants you to over consume for one month, and purge the next. 

Obey Conform Consume.

Just do everything in moderation. Now where is my lunchtime beer?

Edited by The Fun Factory

26 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Oi!   Back to work you!