Dry January

robby b

Are any of you VT people doing Dry January? (Maybe you do Dry January every year? Or some years?)

Well, Day 3 today so that's 2 down, 29 to go ! 

I find it easier to stick to by going running two or three times a week and eating more healthily, as this helps to keep me motivated and focused.

This year one of my new year resolutions is to go the first three months without an alcoholic drink, which I haven't done since 2018, so I felt it was about time for another bigger 'detox'. Then another resolution is to drink 100% moderately the rest of the year; this one is more difficult for me than the abstinence one but I'm really determined to succeed with it totally this time (during the whole year)... 

• Like 1

On a more serious note though, I'm definitely cutting down.

Not for any health reasons, but since I had Covid nothing tastes as nice as it used to.

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

I'm a social binge drinker so if I go out then I'll be drinking 

If for any reason we get told to stay at home then I guess I'll end up doing a dry January but its not something I'm ever going to consciously do 

• Like 2

I admire the many people who don't do Dry January or Sober October as there's no benefit in them doing so because they always drink moderately! 👏👏👏 They might have a few drinks every month of the year but just in moderation. 😮 (Admiration/a bit in awe face). 

Whereas I don't drink in January or October but then I spoil that by sometimes going beyond moderation in the other ten months of the year! 😑😛 When I was young it was fun having four or five drinks now and then instead of just two but I want to join the moderates from now on, the good role models.

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

Definitely not going totally dry but will cut down after Xmas/new year, just getting too old to hack it any more.

Me too, also getting too old to hack it any more. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

If I had to choose between bingeing and teetotalism, I'd choose the teetotal option without a doubt. Fortunately I don't. 

I'm in the same boat, have a few Nips every few days, never drunk, indulged over Xmas and felt the worse for it and honestly didn't enjoy having too much either. 

I drank way too much during lockdown and became conscious I was borderline developing a problem. Have cut back the alone drinking a lot to just 1-2 a night. Now I never really drink heavily. I live in a country where there ain’t really much of a nightlife so drinking heavily just isn’t worth it. Hangovers are now so brutal and depression inducing that I really try to avoid them. 

• Like 3