Giants News

kkr

I thought instead of creating thread after thread for every little piece of Giants news i will create one where i can stick it all for all the Villatalk G-Men, all two or three of us!

So starting it off, great news as Mike Garafolo of the New Jersey Star-Ledger is reporting in his blog that Chris Snee, starting RG, has agreed to a new 6 year deal which is fantastic news as he is one of the best young guards in the league.

The Giants and right guard Chris Snee have agreed in principle to a six-year contract extension that will keep one of the NFL's best young linemen in blue through the 2014 season, according to someone familiar with the progress of negotiations. The person, who requested anonymity because the deal hasn't been signed and announced by the team, did not provide financial details but said Snee will now be among the top five highest-paid players at his position.

Snee, coach Tom Coughlin's son-in-law, was scheduled to be a free agent at the end of the coming season. The Giants second-round pick in 2004 (one round after the team selected QB Eli Manning), has started 59 of 64 regular-season games since winning a starting job in his rookie training camp.

More to come on this.

MG

link

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - The Giants today announced the signing of three more of their choices in the 2008 NFL Draft.

Linebackers Bryan Kehl (fourth round) and Jonathan Goff (fifth) and quarterback Andre' Woodson (sixth) joined the team’s other sixth-round selection, defensive end Robert Henderson, as draft choices who have signed with the team.

The Giants’ top three choices – safety Kenny Phillips of Miami, cornerback Terrell Thomas of USC and wide receiver Mario Manningham of Michigan – remain unsigned. All players are scheduled to report to training camp a month from today.

Kehl, a 6-2, 242-pound outside linebacker from BYU, was the 123rd overall selection. He played in 48 games with 26 starts and finished his career with 205 tackles (108 solo), seven sacks for minus-45 yards, 20.5 stops for losses totaling 83 yards and a pair of quarterback pressures. In 2007, Kehl was named to the All-Mountain West Conference first team and also earned Academic All-MWC honors.

Goff, a 6-2, 245-pound middle linebacker from Vanderbilt, was the 165th overall selection. He played in 46 games with 36 starts and became the 10th player in school history to lead the team in tackles in consecutive seasons (2006-07). His career totals include 307 tackles (202 solo), 15.5 tackles for losses of 67 yards, 6.5 sacks, three interceptions and three fumble recoveries. He was named to the All-SEC second team in 2007.

Woodson, a 6-4, 230-pounder from Kentucky, was the 198th overall selection. He played in 44 games with 38 starts and completed 791 of 1,278 passes (61.9 percent) for 9,360 yards, 79 touchdowns and 25 interceptions. Woodson’s 9,360 passing yards rank second in Kentucky history, topped only by Jared Lorenzen’s 10,354 yards from 2000-03. Lorenzen was waived by the Giants yesterday. Woodson’s yardage total was the ninth-highest in Southeastern Conference history. He was also an All-SEC second-team choice in 2007.

link

Good thread. So Strahan's on the new Madden? :D

Great re-signing of Snee! Anyone got an idea of what the Giants cap situation is like at the moment? I heard that we hardly had a penny left on NFL:TA.

I don't think we do really but with Strahan gone that's $4m spare. Jacobs needs a new contract as i think he is a free agent after this year, then Plax wants a new one as well as Osi so we will need to get these guys locked down next.

Legends? I haven't read up much on the new Madden, I usually get it regardless, but they're having a 'legends' roster this time around or just a few recently retired greats on the free agents list?

They had a few Hall of Famers in the game last year that you could unlock so Favre will be available some way or another this year and i would imagine they would group him in with the unlockable players. Strahan likewise.

I don't think we do really but with Strahan gone that's $4m spare. Jacobs needs a new contract as i think he is a free agent after this year, then Plax wants a new one as well as Osi so we will need to get these guys locked down next.

Did Strahan still have years on his contract?

If so (and IIRC), then he does have a cap hit, as his signing bonus amortization would accelerate, unless he pays back the unaccrued portion of the signing bonus.

Yeah he had 1 year at around $4m left. I was wandering what the situation is with regards to the cap hit for retiring players as im sure we took a sizeable hit when Tiki decided we weren't good enough for him, the offseason before the Super Bowl season!

Snee's contract is for 6 years and worth $41.25m with $17m guaranteed and $23m in first three years. It now means we have all our O-Line contracted through 2012 at least!

Snee's contract is for 6 years and worth $41.25m with $17m guaranteed and $23m in first three years. It now means we have all our O-Line contracted through 2012 at least!

I didn't know that, great news. One of the best lines in the league, and the more they play together, the better they'll get.

• 2 weeks later...
Former San Diego Chargers right tackle Shane Olivea, suspended last month for four games for violations of the NFL Substance Abuse Policy, has been reinstated and agreed to a one-year deal with the New York Giants.

Olivea's suspension was in part because of a missed drug test. Olivea appealed the suspension, saying he missed that test because he was receiving treatment for drug-related issues. The NFL decided to take back the suspension, continue testing him and give him the chance to continue with his career.

Prior to the suspension, Olivea was talking to the Giants about a job. Before signing, Olivea will need to work out for the team and pass a physical. Once he passes the physical, Olivea can sign his Giants contract.

Olivea, 26, started 57 of 60 games over four seasons with the Chargers. The 6-foot-4, 312-pound Olivea was a seventh-round choice of the Chargers in 2004.

link

Great addition as a backup!

• 2 weeks later...

Divisional rivals and the first opponent this year, the Redskins, have traded for Jason Taylor of Miami. This is a good move for them as they need a pass rushing DE and it will make their already solid D even better with his veteran leadership and presence, balls!

Story here.

Â