The Front Three

Delphinho123

Ings and Watkins isnt working but theres nothing wrong with formation as it is with Buendia providing the creativity. we have beaten the teams we should beat and lost to the teams we should loose to under Gerrard. 

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Ings and Watkins isnt working but theres nothing wrong with formation as it is with Buendia providing the creativity. we have beaten the teams we should beat and lost to the teams we should loose to under Gerrard. 

Excellent. Close the thread, we can all go home.

On paper, Bailey, Ings, Watkins, Buendia and Traore (with others like AEG/Bidace, Chuka etc) competing for the front 3 (3, 1-2, 2-1 or whatever), is a very very good bunch of players.

Now, its partly clear what some issues are, injuries and fitness, other issues seem to be around individual form etc, but regardless of these things the "quality" is there mostly, i think one addition to that bunch of players would make it a rather nasty front 3 potentially.

I think some probs is also familiarity, Bailey is always injured currently so isnt used to playing with anyone, Watkins and Ings havent played all of the time or have been injured meaning no consistency there (i dont mean as a duo, i just mean in the first team with the new signings), Buendia is carrying an injury, has been injured and unfit quite a bit and hasnt been able to build a rapport, Traore has also been permanently injured, same problem there.

I agree we appear to have issues, i also think there are many valid reasons for those issues, but i also think one addition to the above mentioned would be beneficial.

For me, Jan will need to be for full backs and maybe a DM signing, if we try to buy anyone, the forward line can wait till the summer imo.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

On paper, Bailey, Ings, Watkins, Buendia and Traore (with others like AEG/Bidace, Chuka etc) competing for the front 3 (3, 1-2, 2-1 or whatever), is a very very good bunch of players.

Now, its partly clear what some issues are, injuries and fitness, other issues seem to be around individual form etc, but regardless of these things the "quality" is there mostly, i think one addition to that bunch of players would make it a rather nasty front 3 potentially.

I think some probs is also familiarity, Bailey is always injured currently so isnt used to playing with anyone, Watkins and Ings havent played all of the time or have been injured meaning no consistency there (i dont mean as a duo, i just mean in the first team with the new signings), Buendia is carrying an injury, has been injured and unfit quite a bit and hasnt been able to build a rapport, Traore has also been permanently injured, same problem there.

I agree we appear to have issues, i also think there are many valid reasons for those issues, but i also think one addition to the above mentioned would be beneficial.

For me, Jan will need to be for full backs and maybe a DM signing, if we try to buy anyone, the forward line can wait till the summer imo.

Completely agree apart from the last line.  It all depends who is available, if availability for quality I always believe you should try for it.  We obviously, like you say, have focuses but should look at anything that might come up.

Edited by nick76

We need goals in the front 3, therefore we need to pay El Ghazi. He doesn't work as hard as the others but he's not afraid to take a shot on. Our front 3 looks so blunt - we need someone to come i and shake it up. I think for the upcoming games we should be trying this:

--------Buendia(Traore)------------El Ghazi (JPB)------

-------------------------Watkins(Ings)

Then integrate Bailey when he's fit. Traore and Trez will be off soon for AFCON. We should never, ever, ever play McGinn in a front 3 as a 10. 

For me, our best front 3 would be: 

Buendia Watkins Bailey

We haven’t seen enough of Bailey to know what he’s really capable of but he has shown promise in his limited appearances. He looks great on YouTube (I know it doesn’t mean much), he’s quick and explosive. He just needs a run of games in his natural position and I think he will be a great asset. 

Buendia looked fabulous in pre-season, he was threading through balls for Watkins and Watkins was thriving off his service. I think he can go on to be a great player for this club

Watkins was brilliant for us last season, it was his debut season in the Premier League. He was always going to find it tougher going in his second season in the Premier League, it often happens

If we played this front 3, we’d have great options in reserve like Ings, Traore, El Ghazi to name but a few. It’s a squad game these days

• Like 1

On 27/12/2021 at 19:17, PaulC said:

We have beaten the teams we should beat and lost to the teams we should loose to under Gerrard. 

Three of the four teams we've beaten are above us in the table.

I think "we've beaten the team we should beat" sells it short - the only team we've played that we absolutely should beat is Norwich. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think "we've beaten the team we should beat" sells it short - the only team we've played that we absolutely should beat is Norwich. 

tbh, for the 7 games Gerrard has been manager, if you had offered me 4 wins, 3 losses from the teams we were due to play, i would have absolutely bitten your hand off.

I honestly think 4 wins/3 losses from that run was much more than could have been reasonably expected (especially considering our form for the season up to that point).

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I’ve heard I wish we could be more like Brighton, Leicester have shown what’s possible and Palace look great under Viera. Yet we beat all three. 

Some fans are impossible to please. It’s as simple as that. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

With Watkins, Ings, Buendia, Traore, Bailey & Carney we've plenty of talent there for Gerrard to work with. Then you think about JPB and Archer too. Attacking play is always the last to be seen on the pitch. I wouldn't expect us to be attacking they way Gerrard wants us to until some time next season

Edited by CVByrne

22 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve heard I wish we could be more like Brighton, Leicester have shown what’s possible and Palace look great under Viera. Yet we beat all three. 

Some fans are impossible to please. It’s as simple as that. 

Thats a bit disengenuous......Personally, I was just picking out some things they do well, against top opposition.

Whats wrong with learning what others do well and adding it to our game?.....Thats what improvement is.

I don't want us to be like Brighton or Brentford, but it would be amiss, if I didn't notice some things they do well against the top opposition and mention them.

Just like we had a very good first half, apart from a possibly  avoidable error.

Its not about being impossible to please....its more about discussing and illustrating ways we could do better....aside from what we do well.

Edited by TRO

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Thats a bit disengenuous......Personally, I was just picking out some things they do well, against top opposition.

Whats wrong with learning what others do well and adding it to our game?.....Thats what improvement is.

I don't want us to be like Brighton or Brentford, but it would be amiss, if I didn't notice some things they do well against the top opposition and mention them.

Just like we had a very good first half, apart from a possibly  avoidable error.

Its not about being impossible to please....its more about discussing and illustrating ways we could do better....aside from what we do well.

It wasn’t directed at you mate. Nor was it about the Chelsea game. I saw posts earlier on in the season suggesting they wish we played like Brighton.  Where in reality the Brighton way of play whilst may be nice on the eye doesn’t return many good results.  It’s very defensive. I think the point I was making at the time  was we have recently beaten teams people compare us against.  

Whilst it’s nice to get a result against an out of form Chelsea. I’ll be a lot more disappointed if we don’t beat both Brentford and Brighton next year.

edit: the post you just responded to was before the Brighton Chelsea game. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

I'd go with Buendia Watkins and Ramsey for now until Bert is fully back then drop Ramsey to the bench or midfield. 

Ramsey for me, is a definate starter.

far more consistency and a more rounded player, than Bert......different positions, I know.....but Ramsey, is the future for me.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It wasn’t directed at you mate. Nor was it about the Chelsea game. I saw posts earlier on in the season suggesting they wish we played like Brighton.  Where in reality the Brighton way of play whilst may be nice on the eye doesn’t return many good results.  It’s very defensive. I think the point I was making at the time  was we have recently beaten teams people compare us against.  

Whilst it’s nice to get a result against an out of form Chelsea. I’ll be a lot more disappointed if we don’t beat both Brentford and Brighton next year.

edit: the post you just responded to was before the Brighton Chelsea game. 

sorry VLV, Barking up the wrong tree.

However, I do have a habit of accepting all what we do well, and seeing what other teams do better than us.

Its no slight on Villa, I just want to see us improve.

• Like 1

Â