The Front Three

Delphinho123

I once started a thread on VillaTalk called ‘The Midfield Three’ so I thought I’d do one for ‘The Front Three’.

Last season it was very much Grealish, Watkins and one other. 

Now it feels like a real problem area for us. Ings and Watkins have zero chemistry when on the field together, Buendia has been very poor since arriving and Bailey is constantly injured. We then have El Ghazi, Trezeguet, Traore and the youngsters.

Who are our best front three? Right now, I genuinely couldn’t tell you. 

• Like 2

• VT Supporter
3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I once started a thread on VillaTalk called ‘The Midfield Three’ so I thought I’d do one for ‘The Front Three’.

Last season it was very much Grealish, Watkins and one other. 

Now it feels like a real problem area for us. Ings and Watkins have zero chemistry when on the field together, Buendia has been very poor since arriving and Bailey is constantly injured. We then have El Ghazi, Trezeguet, Traore and the youngsters.

Who are our best front three? Right now, I genuinely couldn’t tell you. 

We've suffered from losing Bailey and Bertie to injury and Emi2 not setting the world a light, we can naturally improve without spending a penny, I'd say Ollie or Ings though Nd not together 

mentioned this in the Watkins thread. We should either have ollie or Ings at the #9 role & the other as a sub. Putting both of them on the field just gives more problems. 

For me, Ollie shouldn't be starting on the left over any of our options there like El Ghazi, Trez, Traore, Carney or JPB etc. 

• Like 2

I think Bailey, Ings, Buendia is our best best front 3.

I think although ings isn't firing yet, his quality is there.

Watkins for all his hard work, has the vision of a blind man, the touch of a brick and apparently the strength of a wet paper bag, not sure what is going on with him this season.

The only maybe for me is buendia vs traore, but traore isn't fully fit yet ofc.

15 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Watkins for all his hard work, has the vision of a blind man, the touch of a brick and apparently the strength of a wet paper bag, not sure what is going on with him this season.

Were **** if buendia is our best - guys been woeful since he joined

• Like 1

First choice front 3 

Buendia Watkins Traore

Second choice

Chukwuemeka Ings Bailey 

Traore needs a run of games. Still only just 26 years old and has the ability to play as a  10 . I think he is coming into his prime where i think alot of us automatically assumed squad player when Buendia and Bailey were bought. 

Chukwuemeka is not a starting midfielder currently. He has far too much to learn about the game still. BUT happy with him as a 10. He has lovely touch and skill and can spot a pass 

Ings and Watkins are rubbish together. Tried so many times to make it work and it doesnt . Relationships are complicated in all walksnof life . On paper great. Reality not so much . 

Maybe in games where we have alot of the ball and the opposition sit then Ings ahead of Watkins . And then for when we have to play on the counter Watkins. 

We play with two tens and a centre forward and it's difficult at the moment as we don't really have a natural number ten to play next to Buendia.

I'm not really keen on Watkins in there and would much prefer him as the forward - for me at the moment, if we have a full squad to pick from I'd put either Ramsey or Chukwuemeka up there.

The interesting thing is that Dean Smith stacked us with wingers that we don't really have use for any more - it'll be interesting to see how many of Bailey, Traore, El Ghazi, Trezeguet and Philogene-Bidace can adjust to the narrower role and which of them are moved on.

So for me, it's Watkins, Buendia plus one - and at the moment, the one would be Ramsey or Chukwuemeka - depending on whether Ramsey is required to play in the midfield three.

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

We play with two tens and a centre forward and it's difficult at the moment as we don't really have a natural number ten to play next to Buendia.

I'm not really keen on Watkins in there and would much prefer him as the forward - for me at the moment, if we have a full squad to pick from I'd put either Ramsey or Chukwuemeka up there.

The interesting thing is that Dean Smith stacked us with wingers that we don't really have use for any more - it'll be interesting to see how many of Bailey, Traore, El Ghazi, Trezeguet and Philogene-Bidace can adjust to the narrower role and which of them are moved on.

So for me, it's Watkins, Buendia plus one - and at the moment, the one would be Ramsey or Chukwuemeka - depending on whether Ramsey is required to play in the midfield three.

Would you possibly play McGinn there if Ramsey was in the three? 

23 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’d honestly be tempted to play McGinn as a 10 with Sanson, Ramsey and Luiz in midfield. He does a good job there for Scotland and he can score goals. 

It can’t be much worse than Watkins and Buendia at 10. 

Agree with this, especially after seeing that three in midfield look so good first half. 

Just bench Ings, play Watkins through the middle, and it sorts itself out. Ramsey and Chuk can play LW if need be.

Neither Smith nor Gerrard have worked out how to play Watkins and Ings together. The problem is the players. Whatever you do, you end up with a very square peg in a very round hole.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Completely agree re Bailey, Ings, Buendia being our best front three....maybe Traore in for Buendia if he gets fit and firing like you say!

23 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Surely Bailey has to be quality when he's eventually fit and stays fit and will be that additional number 10.  I've seen so many vid's of him and the addition of his pace, we surely have to have somebody on our hands that can be that player.....surely!

22 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Surely Bailey has to be quality when he's eventually fit and stays fit and will be that additional number 10.  I've seen so many vid's of him and the addition of his pace, we surely have to have somebody on our hands that can be that player.....surely!

He's clearly got quality, he's electric, but I think he's better playing wider - it'll be interesting to see if he makes the adjustment. 

• Like 2

Watkins has been very confusing this year. His first touch and passing are often awful...then he'll pop up with a goal. He was poor at hold up play until recently too. At least that looks to be a bit better now.

Ings is less confusing - he is just not involved in the game, sadly.

Between them today, the decision making was woeful. They both had opportunities to strike but both seemed to delay, only to still take the shot at the defender now stood right in front of them. Odd.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â