Ratings & Reactions: Liverpool v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/12/21 at 23:59

21 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Wouldn't say defended well.

Liverpool had 20 shots. Martinez being motm don't support the claim of it being a good defensive performance. 

Liverpool got into some really good scoring positions and had plenty of chances. We were lucky to only concede 1.

Martinez is part and parcel of the defence.🙄

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Martinez is part and parcel of the defence.🙄

It's OK to concede 20 shots then?

Doesn't seem very sustainable. 

Purpose of a defence is to stop shots from occuring but Liverpool played their way through us on several occasions. 

As I said. We were lucky only to concede 1. Liverpool were dominant. 

I was disappointed  by our approach, I also think we showed them too much respect and should have had more of a go. I disagree with those who assume it's a foregone conclusion that we would have got a pasting if we'd done so.  Yes they've tonked a few teams but, Brighton came away from Anfield with a 2-2 and could have won it, and Brentford and West Ham also had a go at their places and succeeded.   When we did have a go they looked rattled at times and if theirs was a pen there's no way in the world the Ings one wasn't.

That said it was a good defensive performance, and they are just as deserving of reward as good attacking performances. We restricted them to very few clear chances until we were chasing the game late on.  I think we were frustrating them and they, fans and players,  quickly realised a pen was their best chance of a breakthrough and they played for one.  Cue dodgy falls in the box and so much screeching for a pen with every challenge in the box that it was almost inevitable the ref would succumb to the pressure at some stage.  To my mind, Salah steps across Mings and trips him, with no attempt to play the ball, then chucks himself over when there is contact, which he had initiated. 

I  was n favour of VAR as I hoped it would eradicate some of the perceived bias towards the usual suspects - unfortunately they seem to be using this "clear and obvious" nonsense to justify and reinforce their ropey decisions instead.  If in doubt, they tend to give the pen to City/Utd/Liverpool/Chelsea knowing it can only be overturned if there's a clear and obvious error.  Conversely they tend to wave away appeals from the likes of Villa, Wolves, Norwich etc. and again it can only be overturned if there is a clear and obvious error.  Thus all the subjective calls can be heavily weighted in favour of the big boys.  It stinks.      

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It's OK to concede 20 shots then?

Doesn't seem very sustainable. 

Purpose of a defence is to stop shots from occuring but Liverpool played their way through us on several occasions. 

As I said. We were lucky only to concede 1. Liverpool were dominant. 

I don't disagree that Liverpool were dominant....They were the much better side....You only have to watch the outfield play, to see their superiority....which makes the result, so much more palatable.

Its the job of the midfield to protect the defence too, to a degree......but we are talking here of a top class, football team, in ther own back yard, full house and chomping at the bit, due to the noise surrounding our new manager.....It was always going to be a tall order, no matter what permutation of team we put out.

How many of our players, would realistically, get in their first 11?......sure, freak results happen, but that is a long shot at best.

Some could say they had 20 shots and never scored from open play.....depends how you look at it.

I think on the balance of it all, that result was par for the course and creditable from us.

I was not happy in losing,( never will be) but in terms of our attitude and effort, and willingness to compete for the ball.....well pleased.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I understand all of that but we're not discussing what he may do down the line we are merely talking about the previous game.  It has to be OK to be disappointed and criticize a performance when not registering a single shot on target and not looking like scoring for 90 minutes. 

It kills me to say....but I think Liverpool deserve a bit of credit for that....I thought VVD and Matip was like fort Knox...the 2 full backs are back to their best and Henderson was warrior like in the middle....They were undoubtedly for me, the better all round team...was I surprised at that?....no, not at all.

I thought in terms of the league positions the Top team, played to form and the midtable team, did a great job of making it hard for them...They made them work for everything and only the refs decision, came to their rescue.

Its hard to see, how the midtable team could have done any better, in terms of effort.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't disagree that Liverpool were dominant....They were the much better side....You only have to watch the outfield play, to see their superiority....which makes the result, so much more palatable.

Its the job of the midfield to protect the defence too, to a degree......but we are talking here of a top class, football team, in ther own back yard, full house and chomping at the bit, due to the noise surrounding our new manager.....It was always going to be a tall order, no matter what permutation of team we put out.

How many of our players, would realistically, get in their first 11?......sure, freak results happen, but that is a long shot at best.

Some could say they had 20 shots and never scored from open play.....depends how you look at it.

I think on the balance of it all, that result was par for the course and creditable from us.

I was not happy in losing,( never will be) but in terms of our attitude and effort, and willingness to compete for the ball.....well pleased.

Brentford scored 3 goals against them. West ham did too. 

They were brave and played on the front foot. 

We were very cowardly I thought. 

Edited by villalad21

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Brentford were brave against Liverpool. Scored 3 goals, created loads of chances and gave them problems. 

We showed them way too much respect.

Liverpool actually been defensively suspect this season so setting up the way we did we played into their strengths. 

you really need to stop looking at single games like brentford as the basis for comparison. anything can happen in odd games. liverpool were up for it saturday; dangerous in attack and organised at the back. had we been more 'brave' we'd have been done by a few. they've put 5 past united and porto, 4 past everton, southampton and arsenal, and 3 against several others including atletico and milan. they're **** clinical, we had to set up to frustrate. just because brentford fluked a draw doesn't mean that liverpool are 'defensively suspect'. you really need to understand football before criticising and voting gerrard's performance as 'very poor' - which fortunately only 4 of you did out of c.170 votes.

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

That's what we used to do under Lambert in the big games. 

Thought those days were past us. I guess not. 

we were a mid table team under lambert, and we're a mid table team now. why did you think those days were past us?

we're on a journey...we're moving in the right direction. one day we will be able to go toe to toe at the likes of anfield/etihad. we are not there yet - you need to accept that and enjoy the ride

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Brentford scored 3 goals against them. West ham did too. 

They were brave and played on the front foot. 

We were very cowardly I thought. 

Its hard to just pick out the odd games.....West Ham are better than us, at the moment.

would Brentford have beat them Saturday.....I doubt it.

We only drew with Brentford at Villa Park, so why should we feel, obliged to do better?

I don't think defending is cowardly, I think it is tactical, and an integral part of the balance of the game.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its hard to just pick out the odd games.....West Ham are better than us, at the moment.

would Brentford have beat them Saturday.....I doubt it.

We only drew with Brentford at Villa Park, so why should we feel, obliged to do better?

I don't think defending is cowardly, I think it is tactical, and an integral part of the balance of the game.

I don't criticize the effort levels but the approach. 

We were like a hare running from a pack of wolves. The death was inevitable. We couldn't run away forever.  Liverpool eventuelly caught up on us. 

That's what the game felt like to me anyways. People may disagree or agree. We all see the game differently. 

Edited by villalad21

I dont think losing narrowly at Anfield is the worry though I do think the manner of defeat is very poor. Liverpool are a superior team but we had no real attacking ambition on the counter attack and once Liverpool scored then it was always game over

31 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont think losing narrowly at Anfield is the worry though I do think the manner of defeat is very poor. Liverpool are a superior team but we had no real attacking ambition on the counter attack and once Liverpool scored then it was always game over

I think you are right here, we were never going to contain Liverpool with a fit and firing Mo Salah in their team. We did extremely well to keep it at 1-0

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think you are right here, we were never going to contain Liverpool with a fit and firing Mo Salah in their team. We did extremely well to keep it at 1-0

Couldn't agree more, and I can never accept the approach of "Trying to keep the scoreline down". 

No way. 

There are certain standards I set that I will never back down on. 

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Couldn't agree more, and I can never accept the approach of "Trying to keep the scoreline down". 

No way. 

Liverpool are a top team, I respect your opinion but it’s not up to us fans to set the standards. It is up to the players, manager and coaching staff to set the standards

8 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Liverpool are a top team, I respect your opinion but it’s not up to us fans to set the standards. It is up to the players, manager and coaching staff to set the standards

Well we didn't bow down to Man City's excellency and they are a top team too. 

I wonder if Gerrard set us up the way he did because it was against the team he loves. 

Where was that aggressiveness and will to attack like we saw 2nd half against city? We looked too passive and submissive. 

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Well we didn't bow down to Man City's excellency and they are a top team too. 

I wonder if Gerrard set us up the way he did because it was against the team he loves. 

Where was that aggressiveness and will to attack like we saw 2nd half against city? We looked too passive and submissive. 

I only saw highlights of this match, so I don’t have much to go on but we seemed to respect Liverpool. We seemed to defend extremely well for much of the match but we were unlucky to lose, we defended manfully

On 13/12/2021 at 16:06, villalad21 said:

I don't criticize the effort levels but the approach. 

We were like a hare running from a pack of wolves. The death was inevitable. We couldn't run away forever.  Liverpool eventuelly caught up on us. 

That's what the game felt like to me anyways. People may disagree or agree. We all see the game differently. 

what did the Wolf do, bite his ear?......held down by the huntsman.

On 13/12/2021 at 17:22, villalad21 said:

No way. 

when you are 5 games in to a job and see a huge amount of work ahead.....its called the sensible option.

5 hours ago, hippo said:

I'm not unhappy about. I'm just not seeing the attacking prowess that are some are reporting.

Quite rightly his first priority was to tighten the defence. 

Definitely didn't create any opportunities against Liverpool. Such as one where their keeper should have been sent off for grabbing our strikers leg. 

Â