handing in notice at work

leemond2008

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

12 weeks does seem an unreasonable period to me, why keep someone whose heart isn't in it any more for that long, especially when they've been loyal for 10 years?  No way I would do more than 4 weeks, can they really do anything if you leave earlier?

Mine is 12 weeks which is pretty standard for my role; I haggled that down, they tried to get me to agree to 6 months.

It really depends what the job is, if it's something entry-level, or working on small discrete tasks, 2-4 weeks is plenty. I can absolutely see that if you're a baker. If you're in a strategic role in long-term project work, or are in any kind of key role with business specific info if your head, it's not so simple. Any competent baker should be able to come in, and be able to bake a sponge.You're not baking something over the course of 3 years with thousands of requirements and using customised baking sheets built in house that work in a completely different way :D  I've seen multi-million pound projects fail and get scrapped because of key staff on short notice periods that left, with no replacements in time, and not enough documentation to pick up the peices.

I'm certainly not saying being a baker is easy, just that I imagine there's not a huge amount of critical differences in the ways bakeries work, if there was, they might need to hold on to you for a lot longer to hand over tasks and knowledge.

As for what they can do, if they're mildly peeved they could just withhold a reference, or give you a shit one. If they're seriously miffed they could sue for breach of contract. It's rare, but it happens.

Ultimately even if you think you'd get away with it, it burns bridges, and if you work in a sector with a lot of connections, it could seriously harm your reputation. I wouldn't hire someone that had bailed on another company without fulfilling their notice, and if they're working for similar companies in my area, I'd find out about it.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

12 weeks for me in my role as well... if I was leaving for a rival, i'd be placed on garden leave immediately. 

Congrats on the new role @leemond2008

I expect you to volley someone in the jaw at your leaving do. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

12 weeks for me in my role as well... if I was leaving for a rival, i'd be placed on garden leave immediately. 

Congrats on the new role @leemond2008

I expect you to volley someone in the jaw at your leaving do. 

**** that, I won't even be sending a goodbye Email, I'll just disappear like a fart in the wind

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My notice period to the consultancy I work for is a month. The company I am at it's zero. If I were to leave to get someone to understand the basics it's about 2 months. It's mortgages so fairly complex. 

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

**** that, I won't even be sending a goodbye Email, I'll just disappear like a fart in the wind

I knew the phrase rang a bell

38 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I actually really enjoy handing my notice in. Very cathartic/ripping the plaster off type feeling, every time.

Indeed. My resignation letter and conduct in the role until I leave remains professional, but inside, I'm thinking "all this shit that's been weighing me down, that pushed me to this moment...Some other word removed has to deal with it" :D 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to be in this position next  year, bit of an awkward one for me though. Our house goes up for sale on boxing day and once sold, we are relocating. I've told a work friend my plans but not my boss, obviously! Feels a bit deceitful and will have a lot going on from boxing day this year which I'll have to keep under wraps! 

We are a small charity, only 4 paid staff and I'm the only full time worker so going to be a bit difficult. 

10 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

Thought I'd give a quick update on this.

I handed my notice in on Friday, spoke with my manager first, she asked if they could do anything to change my mind and then asked if I'd checked my contract and what my notice period was, I told her that it was 12 weeks but that I would be leaving after 8 weeks, she said that they would most likely require me to work the 12, I told them I'd do 8, she said I could do 10, I told her I'd do 8, she told me I could do 10 and take a few days holiday, I told her I would do 8, she said that she would have to check with HR to try and get them to shorten my notice period, she then came back to me and said she wouldn't be able to confirm my notice period until the end of this week.

Following that I spoke with the HR person (just by chance) I mentioned that I'd handed my notice in and that the boss was getting arsey about my notice period, she then told me that the contract is worded extremely poorly and that everyone who is on the old contract makes the same mistake and that my notice period is only 4 weeks.

I sent an Email withdrawing my previous resignation and immediately followed it up with another Email with a 4 week notice period, I would have happily done 8 weeks but she would have known full well about the contract being shit as she's dealt with people handing in their notice on many occasions.

Anyways, last day is on 14th Jan, start my new job on 17th Jan.

I thought I'd be able to keep on working flat out as normal but man, I can't motivate myself to do a **** thing at the minute, christ knows what my output would have been if I had to stay on for 2 months as I was originally planning.

As for the actual letter it was short an brief "take this as my notice of resignation, as per my contract my last working day will be on 14th Jan, after working here for 18 years its been a difficult decision but it is one I have to make in order to progress within my career" or some bullshit like that.

Good to hear mate.

I've done one resignation letter. I had a 12 week notice. Couldn't negotiate it down. Couldn't even take extra leave, so ended up getting quite a big pay off.

32 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

I'm going to be in this position next  year, bit of an awkward one for me though. Our house goes up for sale on boxing day and once sold, we are relocating. I've told a work friend my plans but not my boss, obviously! Feels a bit deceitful and will have a lot going on from boxing day this year which I'll have to keep under wraps! 

We are a small charity, only 4 paid staff and I'm the only full time worker so going to be a bit difficult. 

I wouldn’t have told the work friend. From my experience the boss now knows too. DTA.

• Like 1

Just now, Ingram85 said:

I wouldn’t have told the work friend. From my experience the boss now knows too. DTA.

this is pretty much what happened with me, I told just a few people as I wanted their advice on what to do, obviously one of them told one person they could trust, who then told one person who they could trust, who then told one person...you get the picture, before I knew it my boss knew that I'd had an interview, they didn't know that I'd got the job but they knew more than I would have liked 

• 4 weeks later...

In a similar situation myself now - got a new job on Tuesday, and had email confirmation from the recruitment team that I've got it with a provisional start date, but not had any official written confirmation from the new boss as of yet other than a text message. Looking at a 1st March start, so I've got a week of keeping it to myself at work before making it official...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
25 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Thought I'd dig this thread out and give a little update, after less than 2 years I am going to be handing my notice in again.

Contract signed, just waiting for the checks to go through and get confirmation but I've got a start date of 2nd October.

Its a shame as the company I work for at the minute is brilliant, no complaints about anything apart from the fact that their systems are about 15 years behind the times (seriously)

New place is offering me £6.5k a year more though and I just can't turn that down, told my current boss and he understands completely and said that it is too good of an offer for me not to go for it, he had a chat with the big boss and the most they can offer to keep me is an extra £1.5k

New place might be absolutely shite and I might despise working there but £6.5k a year will make such a massive difference to me outside of work.

Best wishes on this new chapter ...

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Thought I'd dig this thread out and give a little update, after less than 2 years I am going to be handing my notice in again.

Contract signed, just waiting for the checks to go through and get confirmation but I've got a start date of 2nd October.

Its a shame as the company I work for at the minute is brilliant, no complaints about anything apart from the fact that their systems are about 15 years behind the times (seriously)

New place is offering me £6.5k a year more though and I just can't turn that down, told my current boss and he understands completely and said that it is too good of an offer for me not to go for it, he had a chat with the big boss and the most they can offer to keep me is an extra £1.5k

New place might be absolutely shite and I might despise working there but £6.5k a year will make such a massive difference to me outside of work.

Congratulations on your new job!

£6.5k is a fair chunk of change, and no doubt much needed in these expensive times. 

Â