Kidderminster Harriers

Marka Ragnos

there was a proper buzz around it, also not seen too many disappointed with reading, the most reactions i've seen relate to andy carroll playing down aggborough

they're a tough club to describe really, they're in the wilderness at the moment, far bigger than where they are but at the same time they dont really deserve anything more due to how they've been run

the thing is with them that between all the fans of the 4 midlands clubs and then the number of utd and liverpool fans there they could and should be able to offer a viable alternative on away day weekends but the prices are scary, vs hereford on boxing day is £18, villa vs chelsea for an ok ticket is £35 but i think thats a non league problem in general, to me it felt like the best thing about harriers for a few years was the pies, the bar selling cloudy strongbow and PL U19 teams playing there

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I felt happy to see the Harriers in the third-round FA draw yesterday. I’m a fairly uninformed admirer from afar. I was watching them a little more closely a few years ago, when they seemed to have got right on the verge of League Two, but it seemed like a kind of high watermark, and I hadn’t heard much about them since.

All the little burgs around that area fascinate me, and I love how there’s a club in almost every little population center. I drove through there a few years ago to see my granddad’s grave in Rock, and I remember passing through Kidderminster.

The FA Cup competition may be for me the greatest national competition on earth. I feel jealous of you Brits. I wish we had more tournaments structured in this way in the States, where small clubs, at least in theory, could go all the way to the top.

The competiion unfortunately has been devalued in recent years but yes its great for the smaller clubs. I love Kidderminster too. 

• Like 2

POB scoring a hat trick for harriers a few years back is one of my favourite FA Cup moments. Still find the whole thing surreal even now.

But just a little bit too far away from me to go to and Im not sure I could justify paying £15-£20 to watch non league footy plus petrol, drinks & food etc… 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

Used to watch them quite often growing up. They'd come round the local schools for coaching weeks now and then, and you could be part of the half time entertainment on the pitch. Luckily managed to do that one point, but missed my big moment trying to score :(  Always wandered what happened to them after they went back down out of league two

• Like 1

I currently live up in Kidderminster.  Went to see them beat Grimsby in the 1st round and the last game they had over 4,000 in which is a big gate for them. Nice well maintained ground but unfortunately the cottage pies are no more. They are never going to be a big club given Wolves, Villa, and Albion are all just down the road but still are the only professional team in Worcestershire.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I currently live up in Kidderminster.  Went to see them beat Grimsby in the 1st round and the last game they had over 4,000 in which is a big gate for them. Nice well maintained ground but unfortunately the cottage pies are no more. They are never going to be a big club given Wolves, Villa, and Albion are all just down the road but still are the only professional team in Worcestershire.

The pie guy died I think 

Not sure if it's every game but a lad I used to play football with is seemingly doing so local food vendor stuff there through his company eat street repeat, a bit like a kiddy version of digbeth dining club 

• Like 2

What I heard is that he had a very good pitch up fee from the club as it was a bit of a marketing gimmick. When he died the club asked for a lot more to his son which they couldn't make money on as their food actually contained actual proper ingredients  unlike the bilge that is served up in most grounds.

• Sad 1

It's really cool to see all the affection for Kidderminster. Love the football pie stories. It's almost impossible to get a decent meat pie in all of America, in my experience. I live near a Scottish-themed pub that sells meat pies, and they're not bad, but nothing like what you've got there. 

Seemed to spend years knocking on the door of The Football League. Once they qualified then were denied entry due to the ground.  Finally they made it up and had a good few years of league football. 

They were probably the biggest non league team for a couple of decades or more. 

The conference (or what the young rapscallions are calling it these days) is probably their natural level but they do seem to have fallen on hard times lately. Same time as Tamworth too, I can't even find Tamworth on the BBC football pages these days, they were generally the league below the conference. 

Hopefully they both return to their rightful places sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Â