Midweek Football 6/9 December

andykeenan

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I thought they were meant to be giving the attacker the advantage this season 🤔.

Margins like this really do takeaway from the game.

It’s not there to micro ref the game, clear and Obvious only, like Ollie not fouling Jonny Evans and scoring yesterday,  honestly can’t get my head around it

• Like 1

Its not VAR that is the problem, the VAR is following the rules. Its the rules that are ridiculous. Being a toenail off side against a player yards away from u is daft. They should add a margin of error to favour the attacking team and allow goals like that. It is not a conspiracy to protect the top 6, they get goals ruled off isde too

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

What is even the point of playing games? VAR will just decide what they want regardless.

But seriously the linesman will go home tonight, and he just got the two key decisions wrong, because he isnt a robot. Just use cameras and an alert system for offside, put them out their misery. A bit like they have the ball crossing the goal line.

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Its not VAR that is the problem, the VAR is following the rules. Its the rules that are ridiculous. Being a toenail off side against a player yards away from u is daft. They should add a margin of error to favour the attacking team and allow goals like that. It is not a conspiracy to protect the top 6, they get goals ruled off isde too

It should be the trailing foot on the floor that you measure against. Rather than the front toenail  . Make the game flow far better. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

It’s not there to micro ref the game, clear and Obvious only, like Ollie not fouling Jonny Evans and scoring yesterday,  honestly can’t get my head around it

Offside has never been about "clear and obvious". That seems to be something that someone made up and everyone repeats it. Offside is offside regardless if it's clear and obvious or not.

The "clear and obvious" thing is for other scenarios.

• Like 1

It seemed obvious he was offside to me before they even drew the VAR lines, his foot was marginally over the pen box line and the defender was not, it was perfectly clear to the naked eye.  Not sure why anyone thinks it's ridiculous.

However if I've said it once I've said it 100 times, with this tech they need to go back to the clear air rule they had a few years ago. If you can fit a line BETWEEN the players, he's off.  Otherwise give the striker the minor benefit, we'll see more goals and none of this foot offside by a mm which doesn't ever give the striker an unfair advantage. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

It seemed obvious he was offside to me before they even drew the VAR lines, his foot was marginally over the pen box line and the defender was not, it was perfectly clear to the naked eye.  Not sure why anyone thinks it's ridiculous.

However if I've said it once I've said it 100 times, with this tech they need to go back to the clear air rule they had a few years ago. If you can fit a line BETWEEN the players, he's off.  Otherwise give the striker the minor benefit, we'll see more goals and none of this foot offside by a mm which doesn't ever give the striker an unfair advantage. 

that is exactly why we think it's ridiculous, because it was by this margin he was caught offside.

but I suppose the rules are what the rules are. they really have to change though imo.

Just now, osmark86 said:

that is exactly why we think it's ridiculous, because it was by this margin he was caught offside.

but I suppose the rules are what the rules are. they really have to change though imo.

People said ridiculous DECISION. The decision was perfectly correct. I agree the rule is ridiculous but the decision was perfectly sound. 

• Like 1

Just now, sidcow said:

I agree it is offside but I think it is ridiculous from a big picture perspective. A player doesn't plan to be a pubic hair width offside. There is no intent and no material advantage. In the interest of the game  of football the goal should be given. But we are now following the rules to a anal degree of accuracy and it is ruining the game. Both goals should have been allowed but the rules dictate otherwise. It is ridiculous that we need technology and measure things to a degree the naked eye cannot see. There should be a margin of error given to the attacking team to allow these goals in. More goals, more attacking play, more risk taking by strikers and more entertainment for the fans

• Like 1

I’d love to know what software and tools they actually use to so ‘accurately’ draw the lines across the pitch, bearing in mind it’s almost always at an angle of some form (in terms of the TV view).

I could be wrong and I am watching on the upstairs TV which is about 15 years old now but Richarlison’s foot did not look like it was in line with the offside line they drew.

Part of me thinks there’s a genuine chance they’re just using some variation of MS Paint to draw their lines.

Edited by bannedfromHandV

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

People said ridiculous DECISION. The decision was perfectly correct. I agree the rule is ridiculous but the decision was perfectly sound. 

But then wasn't the whole point of introducing a 'different line' is to reduce the silliness in mm offsides.  I completely get the first goal being ruled out, the second you can compared it with the white line on peno area. Just seems like they have gone back to what we all hated last year, which suppsoingly they the Var monkeys were going to stamp out.

Â