Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Leicester

limpid

Match Polls  

301 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/12/21 at 23:59

That was a really good performance, at least in the 70 minutes I saw--I missed the first 20, when Leicester apparently had the upper hand. Did anyone have a bad game today? Not that I saw. You could nitpick a few things--Mings with an awful pass that nearly cost us a goal, Watkins really really should have passed the ball to Cash instead of shooting around 55'--but that is nitpicking.

MOM for me? I would have said Ramsey until Konsa's second goal, but I have to vote for Konsa after that.

I wasn't ready to fire Deano, but I have to say that Gerrard is getting more out of these players than Deano did. It's still early, but it's looking like the right move. If I can nitpick one thing about Gerrard today...the tactics were good, the first two subs were good, but why did he bring on Tuanzebe? Nothing against Tuanzebe's performance...but in the time between the second goal and the third sub, we were in "attack is the best defence" mode. You didn't think Leicester had a chance of getting back in the match because we hogged the ball. We looked a little like Man City Lite. After that sub, we retreated into a shell, and they looked dangerous again. I think that sub backfired.

One person who did have an awful game? The ref. I can forgive him for disallowing Ramsey's goal. That was right on the borderline. I think that the ref may have gotten suckered by the slow motion replay; it made it look like Schmeichel had the ball for longer than he did. I think that it should have counted, but it could have gone either way. But...for the disallowed Watkins goal, he got suckered by a dive. Nakamba's yellow card was a joke; Nakamba was the one that was fouled. To be fair, Leicester probably should have had a penalty around 75' (though it's justice that they didn't get it after the wrong decisions the other way). But most annoying of all, and the easiest to get right, was the fact that he kept letting Leicester obstruct our free kicks. Every time we had one in their half, they ran right up to the ball until they set their defence. I reffed for 15 years, and I can tell you: If you caution someone once, that problem will go away immediately. He wouldn't do it. Just terrible.

When you have almost as much to say about the ref as the team, either your team was very good or very bad. Fortunately, in this case, it's the former.

• Like 3

Massive W baby!  2nd half was SO much better.  Could have been 4 or 5-1 if we finished some of our chances.  Really really like Carney as a part of that top 3...  his size and skill can create problems.  I know we are a ways off of him being there to start, but looking forward to seeing more of him.  Top half of the table.  Let's keep it moving.

4 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I can't wait til we put 2 halves together but once again excellent in game management from Gerrard and his staff. Next week is gonna be tough but Gerrard is so professional I think it'll be just another game to him

TBH, it will be just another game in his mind, but the media will be making it out to be his 2nd Testimonial, though.  

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i still think theres more to come, but we're seeing clear improvements already

was gutted to see deano go but how many points would he have got from these 4? 5 being generous?

We'd have struggled to get 4 from that.

I know there's the new manager bounce and all that but even at our best last season I would not have expected us to get 3 wins out of those 4 games.

• Thanks 1

Just now, est1874 said:

"We've still got loads of teething problems and we've still got more work to do on the training ground. A few of the lads still haven't got the system we're trying to play here."

Any sentimental thoughts upon returning to Liverpool next week?

"None. None at all."

Don't mind admitting it now: I **** love Steven Gerrard.

A true winner and perfectionist. Love it.

10 minutes ago, sne said:

It just feels so forced and fake. And it's not like he has anything profound to add.

hahaha fair play. I think he says some really sensible things at times. also it's clear as day he's a united fan, but he won't let that bias stand in the way of his analysis. I find that a bit refreshing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vreitti said:

We look very disorganized and sloppy at times, but absolutely vibrant and spectacular at other times. It's clear to see what Gerrard is all about. He demands 100 percent and so far he's getting it. Don't think I've ever seen our players be this committed. Long may that continue. He's inherited a decent squad to work with, and I see no reason as to why we couldn't challenge the very best

we did on wednesday

• Like 3

Â