Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Leicester

limpid

Match Polls  

301 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/12/21 at 23:59

Looked so much better once Young was able to get further up the pitch.  At times we were crazy narrow when the fullbacks didn't push up. 

Having athletic fullbacks on boths sides of will be an absolute must going forward. 

Just now, osmark86 said:

Bojan at least has pretty reasonable takes. I usually think that the Swedish pundits are decent, but I think they're a little too much Leicester this, Leicester that today. Very odd takes.

Can't stand Bojan at all. Instant mute on the telly when he talks. His new way of speaking and articulation stuff he adopted a year or so ago is so embarrassing. Trying to make his words have more impact by adding pauses before getting to the point. You are not Niva.

That was, morally, 4-1, and everyone knows it.

It's still early on for Gerrard but one thing that pleased me there was that despite getting back level quickly, at 35 minutes we were clearly disorganised, we were getting overrun and sloppy in possession, and changes and a bit of a reset were going to be needed at half time - but they didn't wait til half time, they sorted themselves out, had a good spell of pressure and for all intents and purposes did enough to be ahead going into the break. Once the Ramsey goal was disallowed the atmosphere ramped up and they were never going to come out with less intensity in the second half.

I will keeping voting for Marvelous Nakamba for man of the match until he gives me reason not to.

Chukwemueka did exactly what he needed to do during his time on the pitch and functioned as a Grealish-like pressure release by carrying the ball out and drawing two fouls during that nervy last few minutes.

Matty Cash is just mad, I don't understand his decision making

Watkins was pretty good, you might say he should have scored but again he kind of already had and the decision to penalise him was pathetic. He also did a lot to get that move going. It was a good save from Schmeichel, but should he have been on the pitch to make it, or should he have died of embarrassment at half time?

The disallowed goal is just kind of an overzealous application of a law that's badly formulated at the moment but I don't know what Oliver's meant to do but disallow it once VAR gets in his ear. The free kick for Evans falling over was way more egregious IMO

Edited by Annoyman
  • Like 1

Leicester's game plan didn't work against us today - they wanted to overwhelm us in the first half but we held strong against some excellent attacks. They didn't have the energy in the second and what we'd conserved paid dividends as we bossed it from 45 to around 80 - when they pushed for an equaliser and we decided to shut up after not getting the third. Good performance from us today.

1 minute ago, Ponky said:

Do we think we've been punished enough for Hawkeye in the 41st minute three years ago yet? 

In some areas we will forever be "da lucky vile" 😂 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

Can't stand Bojan at all. Instant mute on the telly when he talks. His new way of speaking and articulation stuff he adopted a year or so ago is so embarrassing. Trying to make his words have more impact by adding pauses before getting to the point. You are not Niva.

can't fault a guy for having read up on popular rhetoric and/or trying to emulate our single greatest pundit though can you?

Just now, osmark86 said:

can't fault a guy for having read up on popular rhetoric and/or trying to emulate our single greatest pundit though can you?

It just feels so forced and fake. And it's not like he has anything profound to add.

Not a great performance really, but some good last-ditch defending kept us in it when we were swaying from side to side punch drunk in the first half, then a period of 20-25 minutes of pure intensity at the start of the second got us ahead and we really should have been up by a couple of goals. Don't want to be too critical of Ramsey but he has to do a bit better than bending that shot into the stands when he's unmarked on the edge of the area. Then a nervy finish, but fortunately Martinez made an outstanding save that was the true moment of quality in the game, and Mings and Konsa won everything in the air, back to their commanding best from last season in the second half. 

Whether it lasts or not remains to be seen, but this honeymoon with Gerrard is proving to be very enjoyable so far. 

Let's be honest the 1st half was hard to watch, but the 2nd half was a really good performance other than the last 10 minutes when we couldn't get out. We should have killed the game off with the Watkins and Ramsey chances. 

MOTM to Konsa as he scored two goals, but could easily have been Nakamba again or even Martinez for that great save. Carney looks a real prospect and helped us a lot when he came on.

Referee gets a very poor for the awful decision not to give Ramsey's goal, but I thought Luiz got away with one with the penalty.

We are so much more aggressive under Gerrard. He has really fired this team up. My main concern is the ball retention which is still poor for large parts of games and if players like Buendia keep giving the ball away cheaply then it will continue to be an issue.

• Like 2

We look very disorganized and sloppy at times, but absolutely vibrant and spectacular at other times. It's clear to see what Gerrard is all about. He demands 100 percent and so far he's getting it. Don't think I've ever seen our players be this committed. Long may that continue. He's inherited a decent squad to work with, and I see no reason as to why we couldn't challenge the very best. 

Edited by vreitti

i still think theres more to come, but we're seeing clear improvements already

was gutted to see deano go but how many points would he have got from these 4? 5 being generous?

Â