Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Leicester

limpid

Match Polls  

301 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/12/21 at 23:59

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

@TRO are there any spare spaces in first class cabin of the Gerrard train left? I think I need belated ticket mate.

Always room on board for you Nick.😀....I knew you would get a ticket.

just fabulous 9 points out of 12....I'm so happy.....its been 4 tough games too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, nick76 said:

Thought a few deserved MOTM but gave it Martinez just for that save from the Barney’s looping header.

Special mention to Nakamba though!

There was a few 7's and 8's flying around in that second half.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

It’s a rule written by an idiot, it’s why we are debating it. The fact they’ve even put both in the same law is ridiculous. You don’t even need the second part for this rule. 

Otherwise if you do, it applies to the whole thing, based on the English language and how that rule is currently formatted. 

if you read that rule and watch that footage it should be a goal. 

but as we know the rules are stupid 

Its not so much the rules are stupid, they just try to find an interpretation, that rules out perfectly good goals for us.

He made a save before he put his hand on it, so it was a rebound.....its was a goal, in reality, but they just try to find an angle against us.

It seems like our incidents are rewriting the rule book....as what happened at the Etihad.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, robby b said:

I'm not so sure... although Schmeichel got his hand to the ball only just before Ramsey got his foot to it, he does seem to trap the ball well (completely) between his hand and the pitch. The reason I'm a little annoyed with Schmeichel is him complaining that Ramsey whacked his hand (come on, they went for it at the same time)... it's unfortunate that was painful but actually that wasn't the reason the goal was disallowed by VAR. The reason was that Schmeichel had the ball controlled between his hand and the pitch just as Ramsey struck the ball. Personally I think it was correctly disallowed according to the rules. It was an unusual situation and it has brought the rule book out.

but i think it says, except in the case of a rebound, or save.....so it was a goal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great evening out, apart from some big guy sat behind me telling me to sit down,  fair enough I did block his view for a few seconds as were attacking. But as I turned around to say sorry mate, he just looked at me and said WHAT. have to admit I found it a bit disturbing and  intimidating. Luckily it was about 10 mins form the end and I had to glance to see if he was stood up before I did again,. thankfully he left before the end. 

Great result but why Oh why do we tip tap it about at the back, its OK trying to play the ball out from the back but not when its man on. Never saw God do that. We seemed hesitant at times and not sure what to do with the ball, not enough wanting it or calling for it. We need to help each other out more and create space for safe possession. 

Schmeichel went down in my estimation always thought he was a good keeper like his dad, but turns out he is a cheat. Not for the goal disallowed but for his theatrics playing dead until VAR was called for. Ref was worse I have seen, thought he had forgotten his cards.

Sounds like just moaning sorry. , but again second half after  a rib tickling from SG we were a different team. Nakamba was amazing, Ollie could have had a couple and I am sure he will next time. 

Happy days 

• Like 3

Lets not let incompetent refereeing distract us from what a great game that was.

Leicester are a first rate team and they played well. Yet our players who recently lost 5 in a row beat them with an impressive performance. 

Rewatching the game , damn we played some good stuff. That McGinn/Watkins move that Schmeichel saved was jaw droppingly beautiful. 

Our man Nakamba tho. This is Marvellous 2.0. Its like he is thinking half a second ahead of everyone else. Some of his blocks and interceptions were unreal.

Konsa was obviously excellent again and it was nice of him to give a nod to MacPhee in his post match.

The most pleasing thing for me is I didnt think we had any bad performers. Everyone seems to be raising their standards. Its a great turn around from these players and credit all around the club and to the new (and old) staff. Great stuff.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I love that Konsa’s second went in off Schmeichel’s knee. I hope he has a little bruise on it tomorrow morning. 

He's probably convinved it's broken and needs an x-ray 😆

• Haha 1

Nakamba is a new player, he has transformed into literarily one of our best players. I read somewhere that Luiz wants away, and he might well get that wish now as Nakamba has a midfield place nailed down. 

Would like to see Sanson start over Luiz vs Liverpool.

My only concern is our first half performances are not great, if we play like we do in the second half all match we can compete with anyone in this division at the moment, and hopefully we are improving as we take on the coaching.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Lets not let incompetent refereeing distract us from what a great game that was.

The refereeing is getting tiresome though,  we play a minimum of 11 vs 12 most games,  11 vs 13 if you throw in VAR.

If we were Liverpool yesterday,  the goals stand and Leicester finish with 10 or 9 players.  5 or 6 fouls on Villa players from a single Leicester player means nothing.  3 fouls max against Salah for example and you are getting booked so the defender has to stand of him a bit more all game.

• Like 3

A really good win yesterday, and the best parts were for me the fact that we came back from being 1 down to win the game and that we could've won by a bigger margin. I'm not thinking about the disallowed goals as I think it was the correct call according to the rules to disallow Ramsey's goal, and the second one, well, Schmeichel would probably have acted different if the whistle had not already been blown. Could still have been a goal, but it's lika a penalty not given. You don't know if the penalty will get you a goal. I'm thinking about the chances we missed, unfortunately Ramsey's being the biggest miss after a lovely move. That pass from McGinn is a pass we don't often see from our players. Watkins had a really good chance too.

A bit nervy at the end, more nervous than I was against palace, but they threatened once and Martinez then showed them that it wouldn't matter what they threw at him, he'd stop them from scoring anyway.

Nakamba got my MotM as I think he was, again, crucial to our win. I just loved that sliding tackle in the opening of the second half when Mings did a Mings. Nakamba's turn since Gerrard's arrival is just marvellous. I don't think he was bad before, but he fell a bit short most of the games. Now he's going ahead of everybody else.

And then we have McGinn's run in the and after the whistle had gone. Nothing could stop him. :) 

Chukwuemeka making Maddison look like a novice was another wonderfull moment. I hope he signs a new contract soon. Him and Douglas Luiz, who I think had an average first half but again improved during the second half. 

And thanks to all the fans being there. The atmosphere sounded amazing on the TV. And the former leicester player Pontus Kåmark, who was the live pundit in swedish TV had only praise for the atmosphere and thought it was a really great PL game all through with the intense and open game and the fans. Can't say he's wrong about that.

Now, liverpool next, and hopefully Gerrard will be even more up for it, pumping that energy into the players.

UTV!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

It was a ridiculous decision,  couldn't believe it seeing it in the ground. McGinn did incredibly well there and totally deserved a goal.

yeah but their player was caught in a sniper's crossfire. the ref had to do something ;)

• Like 1

The law needs to be rewritten since referees cannot rely upon it for it requires too much subjectivity. 
A lot of the media and others are focused too much on the goalkeeper touching the ball for a tiny time as justification. That’s missing the point. 
It’s negated because he’s clearly only in that position because he’s making a save - thus negating the above. 
We saw a reply that focuses on his hand position. Not whether he was responding to a save. And since there’s no real accountability, we don’t know what Stockley Park was looking at - the keepers hand or whether he had made the save first. 

30 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

A lot of the media and others are focused too much on the goalkeeper touching the ball for a tiny time as justification. That’s missing the point. 

It’s negated because he’s clearly only in that position because he’s making a save - thus negating the above. 

I don't think it is missing the point. The goal was probably unlawful by the current interpretation (see my post on the previous page about that), but I think most fans feel that it's the kind of goal we want to see stand, regardless of what the rule is. There's often a gap between the word of the law, and what fans actually want - see the geometry set offsides last season that pissed people off even if they were correct.

So one of the things I've been wondering is what makes us intuitively think that goal should have stood - and I think there are a couple of aspects to it. If Schmeichel has made the save in exactly the same way, slammed his palm down on the ball, then two seconds later, Ramsey had come along and booted it into the net in exactly the same way, there's just no way that's a legal goal (though it still would be by the "interpretation 2" I detailed on the previous page - another example of why that interpretation makes no sense.

So, for me, there are two reasons to justify why yesterday's goal feels like it was ok, but it clearly wouldn't be ok for him to kick it out from under his hand a couple of seconds later. 

The first, IMO, is that the player has visibility of the ball being under control at the time of the shot, and this does come down to timing. Yesterday's event happened so quickly, it seemed very much a 50/50 ball he had a right to go for, and you needed slow motion to see a few frames on which he'd got his hand onto it - this goes back to the millimetere offsides as being technically correct, but quite frustrating.

The second factor that played into yesterday's was whether the keeper really did have the ball under control. He got his fingers on top of it, the ground was below it, but if Ramsey didn't kick it, had he really got full control of that ball when he's oustretched and has just pressed his fingers against it? Or does that ball slip out from under him if Ramsey doesn't get there at the exact same moment he "controls" it.

How you'd wrap that up in a discrete and easy to apply rule I have no idea :) 

Having pondered it a little more, those two factors are really the same thing, whether it's reasonable for the player to think they can make the challenge before the keeper has it under control, and I don't see a solution to it in a VAR world that isn't going to always lead to slow motion replays and people feeling robbed one way or another. In general, I'd like the benefit of the doubt to go to "play on" when it's a 50/50 rather than bringing out the ultra slow-mo and hanging a player out to dry for being 2 frames slower to the ball.

Edited by Davkaus

10 hours ago, hippo said:

Based on that then everytime a goalkeeper gets a hand to a ball he can't be challenged.

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

pg 100 when u click on the link to open the pdf of the rules. It is not just when the GK gets his hand to the ball, it needs to be against a hard surface too

A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball with the hand(s) when: • the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms, except if the ball rebounds from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save

Poor first half. Great second half.

The last 2 games shows that Gerrard is able to make a difference at half time; this is something that Deano didn't do too often (or this old fool can't remember!).
The subs also worked. There was plenty of noise about them on social media during the game, but they were proven right. 

I do feel a bit sorry for the ref....the rule is dumb, and very badly worded. This is the sort of thing where he got the decision technically correct, but looks like a bell end. But surely our highly paid refs should be looking at the rules and making sure that such dumb elements are sorted out, before they are shown to an TV audience of millions.

UTV

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

pg 100 when u click on the link to open the pdf of the rules. It is not just when the GK gets his hand to the ball, it needs to be against a hard surface too

So in that interpretation a hard surface could be a strikers head. An interpretation we’re almost certain to see used at Anfield next Saturday as Ollie turns to celebrate scoring a late winner…..briefly.  

Â