VT Albums Of The Year 2021

Seat68

Joni Mitchell: Archives Vol 1 

Joni Mitchell: Archives Vol 2 

Bob Dylan: The Bootleg Series Vol 16: Springtime in New York (1980-1985) 

No 'new' releases spring to mind. 

I think the one I've enjoyed the most would be Every Time I Die - Radical. Whole album is relentless from start to finish and somehow they just keep getting better. Others to add to the list:

Between the Buried and Me - Colors II

Mastodon - Hushed and Grim

Prince - Welcome 2 America

Silk Sonic - An Evening with Silk Sonic

Gojira - Fortitude

Steven Wilson - The Future Bites

There's still a few releases from months ago that I've not gotten round to yet.

• Like 4

Always one of my favourite threads of the year, this one. I'm so out of touch with new music these days that I get to blitz through all the recommendations in here and pick up a whole years' worth of listening.

I'm not up-to-date with current music but thanks to this thread, I'm generally only 12 months behind :)

Edited by choffer
typoze
  • Like 3

Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend for me

The coral coral Island was good, so was silk sonic 

Seems to be another year with more disappointments, Kings of Leon, Ashcroft, slowthai, DMAs (EP) 

DMAs live at Brixton was probably the album I listened to the most 

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Time to glance retrospectively over the musical year in long form. For me I had a couple of albums by some of my favourite artists and a few surprises. Have a glance, ignore them, someone will post something that is decidedly less country soon enough. 

5. Toby Keith returns with his first album in years with Peso in my Pocket. Light on any jokey songs, which to be frank is a **** blessing. 

4. Fearless Taylor's Version by Taylor Swift. Loved it in its original form, rerecorded and with additional tracks made it even better. If it was a wholly new album it probably would be my favourite of the year. Just out of the 5 is Red Taylor's Version. 

3. The Ballad of Dood and Juanita by Sturgill Simpson. Aconcept album in a similar vein as Willie Nelsons Red Headed Stranger. A very good listen. 

2. Alan Jackson returns after a long break with the fantastic Where Have You Gone. Really should be number one but have played a different album almost constantly since I bought it. 

1. Carly Pearce with 29: Written In Stone. Exceptional from start to finish. Absolutely love it. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

Quick list of the ‘new’ stuff for 2021. “New’ had to be a release in 2021 or so late in 2020 it didn’t make last year’s list, it also had to have at least something ‘new’ on there, hence Beach Boys make the list but SFA didn’t.  

One thing it does show is the stagger between ‘release’ and ‘vinyl release’ which is getting more noticeable. Stuff out in the last couple of months with vinyl promised for February or March of next year.

Also, ‘20’ is still being quoted as the magic number. Play a record 20 times and the vinyl is less environmentally harmful than streaming. There are probably 3 or 4  on the list below where I’ve already passed the magic 20 in the first year.

El Goodo - Zombie (weird staggered 2020 / 2021 release date and only this year considered for music prizes, so it’s in)

Neil Young - The Times (vinyl release 2021)

Khruangbin - Mordechai Remixes

Carwyn Ellis & Rio 18 & BBC Wales Philharmonic - Yn Rio

Primal Scream - Demodelica

Amyl & The Sniffers - Comfort To Me

Gillespie & Beth - Utopian Ashes

Trees Speak - Post Human

Gruf Rhys - Seeking New Gods

Sarah Neufeld - Detritus

Richard Norris - Hypnotic Response

Richard Norris - Elements (late 2020 staggered release)

Israel Nash - Topaz

Amorphous Androgynous - We Persuade Ourselves We Are Immortal

Lee Scratch Perry - Black Art From The Black Ark

Beach Boys - Feel Flows

Something for everyone in there. 

• Like 2

I think I've only bought 13 Albums released this year, this year. So picking out 10 is easy (in no order)

Sarah Neufeld - Detritus

Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - Carnage

The Besnard Lakes - The Besnard Lakes Are The Last of the Great Thunderstorm Warnings

Lightning Bug - A Color of the Sky

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END!

Lucy Dacus - Home Video

Dry Cleaning - New Long Leg

Anna B Savage - A Common Turn

Low - Hey What

Courtney Barnett - Things Take Time Take Time

The other 3 were St Etienne - I've been trying to tell you, Opium Moon - Night + Day and Flock of Dimes - Head of Roses.

An OK year, but not great.

• Like 3

Possibly one of my favourite threads every year. 

Not been able to post much recently (work getting in the way) but reading a lot. I will do a proper response over the next few days but I have to say up until recently not much had really stuck in mind this year, until a few recent releases have been very good :) 

• Like 4

Hardly bought any new stuff this year. Only three I can think of can therefore be my top three 😁

1.The Beach Boys - Feel Flows: The Sunflower & Surfs Up boxset. Yes, coloured vinyl and CD version. 

2. Lindsey Buckingham self titled. 

3. Biffy Clyro - The Myth of the Happily Ever After 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Hardly bought any new stuff this year. Only three I can think of can therefore be my top three 😁

1.The Beach Boys - Feel Flows: The Sunflower & Surfs Up boxset. Yes, coloured vinyl and CD version. 

2. Lindsey Buckingham self titled. 

3. Biffy Clyro - The Myth of the Happily Ever After 

And even then you don't go past B in the alphabet

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Wouldn’t it have been cheaper to fly him over and do a quick set in your living room?

I got the black vinyl box set without CD and that was way out there as the dearest thing I bought all year, by a factor of three, I reckon.

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Wouldn’t it have been cheaper to fly him over and do a quick set in your living room?

I got the black vinyl box set without CD and that was way out there as the dearest thing I bought all year, by a factor of three, I reckon.

Collectas gonna collect ;)

Just picked up a test pressing of the 2008 Dennis Wilson reissue, been watching it for the best part of a year, going unsold because of the daft price.

managed to get a bit knocked off so all good :)

11 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Honestly struggling to think of good albums from this year other than Nick Cave's Carnage and IDLES' Crawler. Been a pretty rubbish year.

I really don’t think it has - there’s been some great stuff! 

I’ll be posting mine a little later and knowing your music tastes from previous posts, reckon there’ll be stuff on there you’d like too! 

• Like 2