WhatsApp question

Guest av1

Hi all. I was after some advice because I’m crap with phones. I’ve got an IPhone but my question kind of relates to google photos/WhatsApp so I wasn’t sure whether this should go in the Apple or android thread. I’ve put it here because it’s probably something I’ve clicked on the phone, mods please delete if this is the wrong thread. 

Im in a few WhatsApp groups so get lots of stupid photos/memes come through, and they all seem to be being backed up in my Google photos which is just taking up space. Is there a way of backing up my photos from my camera, but not from WhatsApp? Or do I just get a “all or nothing” choice? 

31 minutes ago, limpid said:

The posting guidelines are really clear. If what you want to post doesn't fit in an existing thread, start a new one.

Check the backup options in your Google Photos app.

Sorry mate. I was unsure but thought it might be something to do with the settings of my phone which is iPhone, hence posting in the Apple thread. 

Apologies. 

2 hours ago, av1 said:

Sorry mate. I was unsure but thought it might be something to do with the settings of my phone which is iPhone, hence posting in the Apple thread. 

Apologies. 

No problem. Did it fix it?

9 minutes ago, limpid said:

No problem. Did it fix it?

I can’t see anything in the Google photo settings. Looking at the WhatsApp chat settings there was a a setting that said ‘save to camera role’ 

I have unchecked that, maybe that was the problem? I’ll see the next time I get a stupid meme on WhatsApp. 

10 hours ago, av1 said:

I can’t see anything in the Google photo settings. Looking at the WhatsApp chat settings there was a a setting that said ‘save to camera role’ 

If that doesn't do it, the option you want in Photos should be something like: Open Photos, Go to Settings, "Backup and Sync", "Back up device folders" then you can toggle on/off which folders get backed up to the cloud (but they'd still appear in photos on your phone, so stopping them via Whatsapp is probably best)

• Like 1

I think your Google account backs up everything in your photo roll. 
For each conversation in whatsapp you can decide if the photos/videos are saved to your camera roll or just remain in WhatsApp.

Open the conversation, then tap the name at the top of the screen, you’ll get a load of options including “save to camera roll”. Turn it off for conversations which post a lot of junk you don’t want backing up. 

It's not in your google photos settings. It's in your whatsapp settings.

Open whatsapp, go to Settings -> Chats

there should be an option that says "save to camera roll"

Unselect that.

You'll still get photos and videos etc as normal but now they won't automatically save to your camera roll. You can still choose to save then to your camera roll by selecting the photos in the chats and saving them, but it won't just save absolutely everything automatically.

Edit: yeah basically what @Genie said

Edited by Stevo985

Â