Pre-match thread

ender4

Looking forward to it, the good thing about Gerrard is that he will be on the touchline and willing the players on, he won't be resigned to a defeat from the off which is a great sign. We need the home fans to be on this one so that they are right behind the team and showing grealish what he is missing out on at the villa. The most likely outcome is a loss but I do think City can be beaten and maybe we are still a bit of an unknown quantity with the new manager. I'll be cheering villa on from sin city and watching in a sports bar over there, sad to miss it but glad to be back for Leicester at home UTV

• Like 1

Is there an argument to rotate heavily here? One of Dean Smith's weaknesses was to rarely change a winning team even if it ended up running players into the ground.

If rotation happens I'd like to see something like this.

Martinez

Cash              Konsa                    Mings         Targett

Sanson      Douglas Luiz       Ramsey

McGinn                                  El Ghazi

Ings         

Maybe might not be wise to drop Nakamba to be fair.

15 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Is there an argument to rotate heavily here? One of Dean Smith's weaknesses was to rarely change a winning team even if it ended up running players into the ground.

If rotation happens I'd like to see something like this.

Martinez

Cash              Konsa                    Mings         Targett

Sanson      Douglas Luiz       Ramsey

McGinn                                  El Ghazi

Ings         

Maybe might not be wise to drop Nakamba to be fair.

I don’t think he’ll start with 4 central midfielders no, We rotated today tbf 

Interesting what team he selects for this.

Can't see Ings or Buendia starting so think only question is who Luiz comes back in for, Bailey or Young?

I'd be tempted to keep Young in otherwise Targett and Cash will get overload on the flanks with way Man. City construct play.

I've gone from thinking heavy defeat to narrow defeat. Point would be brilliant and not impossible if we score first given they've lost to Palace and drawn with Southampton this season. Not an opponent we do much against these days though.

9 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Would be the same shape as today broadly enough only McGinn playing more his Scottish role, might suit against these where we could do with having an extra combative player in the team.

Nah why give up creativity and pace, he’s performing well in his role

We will need Man City to have a bad day at the office, and abit of luck if we are to win this lets be honest. We will also need to work our socks off and make no mistakes.
Make them go wide just like Brighton and Palace. Keep the midfield compact, Disciplined.
Bailey pace is a must for the counter attack. Nakamba and Young have earnt their starting places. 

• Like 1

The thing with city is to make sure they don't score easy goals via cutbacks. Under Lambert we always struggled with that and most of the goals were fifa style cutbacks and overlaps. I hope thats something we are aware of prior to the fixture, and we come to VP ready to get stuck in and attempt to win this thing. The players' confidence must be sky high right now so hopefully they are up to it. Leicester a week tommorow is the main fixture we should be targeting, but it dosen't hurt to set out to try and win every game possible.

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

We're back to mandatory masks in shops and public transport again today - what that will mean for sporting events I don't know.

I believe hospitality is excluded