• Watkins
    • Young
    • Luiz (Ramsey 67)
    • El Ghazi (Bailey 77)
    • Buendía (Young 85)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/11/21 at 23:59

Glad we won!  You could see glimpses of how Gerrard wants us to play  in the first half, and we looked much better defensively in transition and going forward, with our narrow wide forwards.  That said, the second half was basically Bruceball for 45 minutes and shows there is still much work to be done.  Very happy with how things have started for Gerrard, though.  Long may it continue!  UTV!!!

• Like 4

I don’t blame the ref as such for this one - it’s the rules a but it’s nuts how Milivojevic slashing Watkins down before he took a shot on goal is the same punishment (a yellow card) as a slightly mistimed but meaningless tackle in midfield 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Suggests to me it was the mental side of things under Smith, more likely the coaching changes, unhappy players with nothing clicking 

They've got their mojo back and are putting a shift in, shit isn't it that we should celebrate players giving it absolutely everything because its not a Given but that is the case, we have a new lease of life 

Agree with all that. Plus, Marv seems to have ingested the spiritual essence of Pirlo. Thought he was Magnificent Nakamba today and I’ve no idea where this player has come from.

• Like 3

There was a long period second half when the wheels had come off and we managed the ball very, very badly. First half great, had the ref not been the single worst referee I have seen for a long long time they'd have been down to 10 men before half time too. 

Gerrard, Beale et al look to be doing some very good work. Until the wheels came off our organisation on and off the ball was top class. Compact, narrow, without the ball and with a clear idea of how to keep it and move it once we won it back. 

Ramsey the standout for me, every time he plays he gets better. Looks a top top midfielder. Gave motm to McGinn though, solid game, some great runs, touches and a 'pick that out' finish after a great move.

Lots to like, even when we got the fear, the structure and shape was something for them to lean on. 

Away fans awesome as usual. 

Noice.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I don’t blame the ref as such for this one - it’s the rules a but it’s nuts how Milivojevic slashing Watkins down before he took a shot on goal is the same punishment (a yellow card) as a slightly mistimed but meaningless tackle in midfield 

I think he got the ball? Not 100% sure if I'm thinking about the same tackle, so ignore if I'm wrong. But looked like the contact with Ollie was via the ball. So you could say it wasn't even a foul. 

That first half was the best we have played for some time. Looked like we ran out of steam in the second half, something that will improve, but still limited their chances.

We are an improving side under Gerrard, and to win that game against a very good side, who are particularly strong at home, was excellent..

And they did not have a bad day, we just did not let them get into their stride for most of the match.

Nakamba MOM. What a change in him under a new coaching team.

Watkins and Bailey were both poor, and look as though they are trying too hard.

Referee was terrible. His big day, and he blew it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Villastine said:

I think he got the ball? Not 100% sure if I'm thinking about the same tackle, so ignore if I'm wrong. But looked like the contact with Ollie was via the ball. So you could say it wasn't even a foul. 

It was definitely a foul, but he had cover and you wouldn’t call it denying a clear goal scoring opportunity. It was, however, Milvojevic’s third or fourth bookable offence. 

Very pleased!

The first 45 minutes was lovely. Dominant in terms of possession, carved out a number of chances, played out of defence well. This is how Gerrard wants us to play.

Second half we were under the cosh a bit. But defended well, and made it hard for them.

Gerrard has done well so far and the omens are good.

• Like 2

Nakamba MOTM, excellent. Ramsey and McGinn very good. Dougie has a job to get back in the team! And Sanson!

Very annoyed about the late goal as I have Emi in my fantasy draft side but thought we defended well all game.

First half was fantastic. Palace to their credit turned up in the second but we rarely looked troubled.

How strong do we look when we can bring Buendia, Luiz and El Ghazi off the bench btw, with Ings and Traore still not involved! 

Our second goal might be my favourite of the season so far, stunning build up and finish (Bailey vs Everton is my other contender).

Really looking forward to Wednesday night under the lights now!

Up the Stevie G’s Slippy Villans (still v conflicted as I hated him his whole career but he hasn’t put a foot wrong so far!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Glad we won!  You could see glimpses of how Gerrard wants us to play  in the first half, and we looked much better defensively in transition and going forward, with our narrow wide forwards.  That said, the second half was basically Bruceball for 45 minutes and shows there is still much work to be done.  Very happy with how things have started for Gerrard, though.  Long may it continue!  UTV!!!

How was it bruce ball, why so negative. They didn’t have a shot until 80 minutes, we defended out 18 yard line perfectly. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

There was a long period second half when the wheels had come off and we managed the ball very, very badly. First half great, had the ref not been the single worst referee I have seen for a long long time they'd have been down to 10 men before half time too. 

Gerrard, Beale et al look to be doing some very good work. Until the wheels came off our organisation on and off the ball was top class. Compact, narrow, without the ball and with a clear idea of how to keep it and move it once we won it back. 

Ramsey the standout for me, every time he plays he gets better. Looks a top top midfielder. Gave motm to McGinn though, solid game, some great runs, touches and a 'pick that out' finish after a great move.

Lots to like, even when we got the fear, the structure and shape was something for them to lean on. 

Away fans awesome as usual. 

Noice.

The wheels didn’t come off, they went more attacking and we were tired due to playing more intensity that we are used to 

• Like 1

Â