Gary Speed - 10 years on

bannedfromHandV

Horrible day. Can remember vividly listening to 5 live and the presenter being in complete shock when he had to read it out as breaking news. Game v Swansea should've been postponed. Credit to likes of Given and James Collins for playing given how close they were to him.

Someone who was pretty much respected by everyone.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

A really sad day, I can't believe it was 10 years ago now. I remember a lot of the players on both teams having links to the wales team or had been former teammates of Gary Speed, James Collins, Shay Given etc. Time has flown by but Gary Speed was a solid midfielder and yes a lot of the success the welsh team achieved in later years was down to Gary Speed. Swansea did have a really good team that year and I also remember it was the beginning of our decade long fall from grace really. A horrible time all round for many reasons. RIP Gary Speed

• Like 1

Although Gary Speed's family made a firm point of saying there was no evidence that he was abused by paedophile youth football coach Barry Bennell, he was interviewed by police  about Bennell twice before his death.

Gary Speed was one of 4 players coached by Bennell to have killed themselves.

One of Bennell's victims has stated he is 99.9% sure that Speed was also one of Bennell's victims.

If you google "Gary Speed" and "Barry Bennell", you will see quite a few articles about it.

I first googled it after watching the 3-part BBC documentary "Football's Darkest Secret" in which Gary Speed's name was mentioned.

It is worth watching and is on Iplayer but I spent a lot of time crying while watching it and it really knocked me about.

Edited by Deano & Dalian's Umbrella

22 hours ago, SuperTed said:

Remember an interview Sky did with Bryn Law which ended with him saying he’d text Speed asking him to give him a call, which he sadly never received and Law just completely breaks down on air 😢

Such a shame man.

I remember that interview… It’s heartbreaking to watch

Â