Alan Thompson

Tom13

I remember being really excited at the prospect of signing Alan Thompson for some reason. 

He’s misremembered a couple of things there, we didn’t finish fourth under Gregory at any point, although we were in the mix for it. We also didn’t win our first 12 games of the season, we went unbeaten for the first 12 games. 

I get where he’s coming from in the feeling of tempting fate by having a photo taken to commemorate a club record start to the season, but I don’t think you take a photo when it’s ended.

“Hey guys, that unbeaten run of yours has now gone out the window, but come on, the photographer is here, gather round…cheeeeese!!!”

• Like 2

Was very excited when we signed him . Rated him very highly but he didn’t quite take off at villa. I was more excited when we signed one of my favourite players at the time Sasa Curcic who was superb at Bolton . Again wasn’t the same player at villa 

Buendia sort of reminds me of this guy.

Was pretty good the year Bolton went down and seemed a solid signing but one of those a bit like Steve Watson, who also came with solid pedigree, who started off o.k but gradually drifted away from first team but then did well elsewhere (Watson played well for years at Everton and didn't Thompson get an England cap at Celtic).

He also missed a few penalties early on for us which didn't help his confidence.

Â