The Balkans

maqroll

59 minutes ago, bickster said:

How on earth would they manage that, they don't have enough soldiers to fight in their own war

Maybe I over played it but this conflict definitely benefits Russia and their very able when it comes it comes to manipulation. 

I have been chatting on Twitter with a seemingly reasonable and intelligent Serb.  His take on the current situation opened my eyes to Serbia’s current world view. 
Serbia has been receiving cut price gas and oil from Russia.  Russia also encouraged it to join the EU.  Russia wanted to use Serbia’s position on the EU to help Russian companies break into  the EU.  At the same time, Germany is exploiting Serbian manufacturing’s low production costs to import goods cheaper then they could be produced in Germany. 
But now the EU is pressuring Serbia to stop taking Russian gas and oil.  This would inevitably lead to their production costs spiralling and hit their economy. 
The average Serb doesn’t care about the Russian/Ukraine conflict.  They just want to continue their perfect trading position and retain good relations with Russia and the EU.  But the EU is (in their viewpoint) forcing them to take sides rather than stay neutral.  
That all seems very plausible to me. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
Â