The Balkans

maqroll

It’s an absolute bastard of a situation, the locals seem to have genuine worries of violent conflict resurfacing, and it’s very hard not to put the blame on Milorad Dodik and Serb nationalism. 

• Like 1

I visited Sarajevo a few years back , the Eastern part of Sarajevo is within the Serbian Republic .I was stunned to see posters and statutes commemorating people like Slobodan Milosevic  , my guide said one of the posters of a Serbian General basically said “Thank you for a job well done “ .. this is a person who stood trial for war crimes against the Bosnian people.

The hills around Sarajevo are full of graves , the streets still have some bullet holes as a memorial to people killed whilst buying bread , a trip to the hills and the former Winter Olympics site reveals where the Bosnians were shelled on a duly basis from up high… you’d think the world would prevent this happening all over again , but …

Hopefully Dodik has some form of accident and the immediate threat goes away , but it’s probably more than just him .

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 4

Doing a pub quiz once, we got a list of countries (Bosnia, Croatia, etc.) and asked what was the geographic name of the area. I overheard somebody in another team confidently whisper "I know this one - it's 'the baltic states'". 

I used to date a Bosnian Muslim and the Serb war crimes were horrific. Sadly Serb nationalism tied up with anti-muslim sentiment allowed the leadership to easily manipulate the Serb population. Tito held Yugoslavia together for decades allowing the Serbs hatred to fester.

As her mum said, if it was Muslims slaughtering Christians in Europe the bombs would be falling really fast.

• 8 months later...

I don't know about too much about Bosnia is what Russia has been doing in Donbas and what NATO did in Kosovo in 1999 that different?  Or any different?.  Certainly the propaganda and the reactions in the West could not be more different. 

Could it be that when the Serbs see how Ukraine is being supported by NATO to defend and retain Donbas, they might, perhaps  justifiably, feel hard done by over having a significant and culturally important chunk of their sovereign territory forcibly taken away from them under similar circumstances.   

I  am not trying to defend what Russia is doing, nor what Serbia did (or for that matter what the Azov Battalion, NATO and the KLA have done).  My point is to highlight that the stance of the West is utterly hypocritical when you consider what NATO did in Kosovo, and  this could be contributing to the rumblings of discontent resurfacing in the Balkans.  

28 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

I don't know about too much about Bosnia is what Russia has been doing in Donbas and what NATO did in Kosovo in 1999 that different?  Or any different?.  Certainly the propaganda and the reactions in the West could not be more different. 

Could it be that when the Serbs see how Ukraine is being supported by NATO to defend and retain Donbas, they might, perhaps  justifiably, feel hard done by over having a significant and culturally important chunk of their sovereign territory forcibly taken away from them under similar circumstances.   

I  am not trying to defend what Russia is doing, nor what Serbia did (or for that matter what the Azov Battalion, NATO and the KLA have done).  My point is to highlight that the stance of the West is utterly hypocritical when you consider what NATO did in Kosovo, and  this could be contributing to the rumblings of discontent resurfacing in the Balkans.  

Not really being aware of what happened 23 years ago, what did happen and how were NATO involved?

20 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Not really being aware of what happened 23 years ago, what did happen and how were NATO involved?

Peace-keeping force that halted a genocide

As soon as the war crimes had been sorted out, peace restored the countries were split along ethnic lines and the countries allowed to be independent countries. (Obviously with a Peacekeeping NATO force still in place) But NATO stay out of the internal politics

NATO didn't annex anything for themselves and didn't agitate to start the whole thing. NATO was also acting under a UN Mandate (and still is)

• Thanks 1

As ever with these things, hard to know who to trust when it’s all kicking off, but…

My uneducated guess is that Serbia simply doesn’t have the same cards at its disposal as Russia (ie no nukes, much smaller military, less fear of the conflict spreading uncontrollably)… so you’d think there’s more scope for foreign intervention and diplomacy to resolve this quickly. But who knows at the moment. No doubt Putin would love it to kick off

Edited by KentVillan

6 hours ago, El Segundo said:

I don't know about too much about Bosnia 

That much is obvious

is what Russia has been doing in Donbas and what NATO did in Kosovo in 1999 that different?  Or any different?.  Certainly the propaganda and the reactions in the West could not be more different. 

WTF are you on about?

• Like 1

Â