Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Brighton

limpid

Match Polls  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/11/21 at 23:59

2 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Mings was sensational for that second goal.  The work rate and the quality that late in the game. Love it.

He is playing for the captaincy now, Gerrard is keeping everyone on their toes. In his eyes the skipper is the man, 100% every match. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It was a very even match in the sense no side created many clear cut opportunities. If I’m honest, Brighton had more quality than us and probably edged it in terms of the football played. That said, the result is all that matters.

The two main positives for me today were…

1. Effort and desire. It was there in abundance and even had we lost the match, it wouldn’t have been through want of trying to win. Every player put in a shift. 

2. The substitutions. A personal highlight for me. The right players were taken off at the right time and we kept the right system. 

Individually, I thought Mings, Ramsey, Cash and McGinn were good and Martinez was excellent in goal.

The real negatives are Buendia, Ings and Bailey. I thought all were poor, especially Buendia who I’m really concerned about now. Looks way off the pace and I was champing at the bit for us to sign him! 

Great win, if not the most attractive win. Huge 3 points.

The fact that it was an even game against Brighton is already a huge improvement on Smith. 

Would have lost 2 or 3-0 here and had 15-20 shots against. 

• Like 3

Just now, Lochheads twin said:

p.s, Anthony Taylor was poor today, especially when it was not a difficult game to ref.

Every time he refs us, it's one of the worst refereeing performances I've ever seen. He set the tone with the lack of advantage early on, and it went downhill from there. No major decisions to make, so he didn't ruin the game luckily, but he just got so much wrong

• Like 2

I had read that Gerrard likes to force teams to bring the ball wide to bring it out of their half, and that's exactly what Villa did.   I had been looking forward to this because we've too often allowed teams to slice us apart with ease bringing the ball through the middle.  That means you have to do a lot close down the wing backs so they don't have unlimited time and space to put in crosses or get to the by line, though.  I thought Targett did fantastically to keep the speed and tricky Lamptey from creating much of anything, and Mings was on hand to clean up when needed.

I wish the team would be a little more patient in possession, though.  We lose the ball too easily because of trying to make incisive but low-percentage passes too often.  i think Buendia is trying too hard to prove his worth by something happen when it's no on.  He showed flashes of skill and creativity, but needs to pick his moments better, as do others.

Watkins' goal was great, but he thinks he's a much better dribbler than he is and is guilty of losing the ball and killing attacks too often.  People say he needed a goal for confidence, but sometimes I think he has too much confidence in his ability to create something for himself.

Hopefully we have the McGinn we love back in place of the one who frustrates us.

Mings was immense today.

Emi looks to have his mojo back.

WDFAFTI, long or short.  Understandably, long throws against Brighton with 3 big CB's isn't a high percentage move, but I'm not sure for Villa that short ones have a higher percentage chance of us keeping the ball.

Still a lot to work on, but there are signs that we have some hope.

• Like 2

Anthony Taylor is **** woeful.

Cash good 

Konsa quiet and good 

Mings good.

Targett very good

Nakamba okay

McGinn quiet but 20 great mins

Ramsay lot more confident driving forward 

Watkins not a LW. Only man to dribble with the ball behind him.

Buendia arsey occasionally classy

Ings reserve judgement.  Isolated 

Quiet an awful game masked by a moment of inspiration. The relief and release on the stands and pitch was palpable.

Work to be done.

Anthony Taylor is **** shit.

10 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Have to say Brighton did **** all with all the possession they had. 

They play like man city. Use possession as their main way to prevent the opposition scoring. However they dont create many chances and when they do they dont have a striker to finish them. They are man city lite. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Ollie definitely can yeah but Ings and Ollie shouldn’t be on the pitch at the same time, it hasn’t worked once this season. We didn’t need Ings to start with 

It never worked because they were played in a 2 up top. This doesn't work.

Ings was essential for our team. We didnt have a second striker!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Have to say Brighton did **** all with all the possession they had. Credit to Gerrard though for making the right changes.

I can't agree with this, Emi kept us in the game, and they could have been 2 up before we finally woke up and created a chance.

Without actually doing a lot, El Ghazi changed the game when he came on.

I thought we looked more solid both in open play and in defending set pieces, though we really struggled to get the ball back for periods of the game and until we scored we really hadn’t created much.

Great start though for the new Manager, long may it continue (please) 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

I can't agree with this, Emi kept us in the game, and they could have been 2 up before we finally woke up and created a chance.

Not saying they didn't have any chances at all, just that overall they were very un-threatening in relation to how much possession they had.

• Like 2

Really surprised at the lack of appreciation for Ramsey today. Only mentioned a couple.of times in the first 7 pages of this thread. 

He was really good. Carried excellently through their midfield, broke up and pressed well and was also one of our most confident players when popping the balls round first time in small spaces. 

My bold prediction is that he will be seen as one of our best players by the end of the season.

The midfield had a good blend of ball-carrier, tackler, and long baller today and looked pretty good for it.

• Like 2

Something really weird happened at Villa Park today.  We put the ball in the back of their net twice, but they couldn't get the ball into our net. 

Anyone know what this means? 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Something really weird happened at Villa Park today.  We put the ball in the back of their net twice, but they couldn't get the ball into our net. 

Anyone know what this means? 

That we won?

I thought Gerrard's post - match interview was everything a Villa fan wants to hear.

So glad for him that we started this new chapter with 3 points. The players can now take a lot of confidence into the Palace game, which won't be easy, it's vital that we become more consistent and maintain the momentum when it's blowing our way.

Get in there, me babbys 

Â