Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Brighton

limpid

Match Polls  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/11/21 at 23:59

There was nothing swashbuckling, free-flowing, tikitaka resembling about this performance, but it’s a massive result and one that was won on the back of increased defensive solidity and some, in hindsight, very effective subs. 

• Like 2

Well done boys, well done Gerrard

Glad to see the back of those horrible long throws, we just didnt have the height for them and kept trying them every bloody chance we got

• Like 2

5 straight defeats weighs heavy on the psyche, we looked like we could do anything after we scored. Hopefully that’s the hoodoo behind us and we kick on. 

Ings might have lost his place next game, we looked more dynamic with Bailey and Watkins up top. Would love to see Traore back too

• Like 2

Pleased for Watkins that goal will do him a world of good

looked like a 0-0 and then suddenly a mad few minutes and we coasted it 

Mings was my MOTM today , thought he attacked every one of their set pieces , which is basically all they have and won them all

some work to do but an important 3 points 

Is it just me that finds Brighton a bit dull to watch ?

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 3

Between the first 20 and last 10 minutes I thought we were largely poor however hat is a big win and very much needed. 

The back 4 + Martinez probably the biggest improvement as they were solid. 

That's a good base for Gerrard to build on now. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Thankfully Brighton are shit at finishing. Too much of the game we struggled but one hell of a finish to it. Feels good to win again! 

Its gonna take a while to fix the confidence and get out of the bad habits. It's only been a few days and we won and keep a clean sheet.

Gotta be happy with that

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AVTuco said:

Hung in there 'till the end and then stroke like lightning.

Mings our best, even without the goal. Emi number two. McGinn was good, as was Cash. Very glad Ollie scored such a magnificent goal.

On the other hand, Buendia still lacking far behind. He was mad at himself, but so he should be.

We stayed in the game. Grafted. 

It's what top managers instill in teams. 

• Like 1

Tough game but the mentality was there to stay in it to the end. Watkins was persistent and finally took his chance, and hopefully pushes on from that. Mings was clearly up for it and handled everything except for his one awful pass.

Feels weird seeing Deano go straight out and get a win, how did we get here again? Good luck to him though!

• Like 1

We defended well against their style of play and hit them in the later stages when the likes of Lamptey were taken off.

They dominated against Liverpool, it’s just how they play, but with little danger today if we’re being honest. Good game management with the subs however I think Ings and Watkins should have been pressing more earlier on. I feel it for Buendia because he was putting 100% in but it just wouldn’t work for him - he clearly has the ability though, just one of those days.

Up the Stevie G!

Whole back four was excellent today, especially Target. Back to basics clearly worked. Ramsey and McGinn had some good moments but was always going to be tough against this Brighton side.

Watkins was pretty poor and I wanted him subbed but he suddenly switched on with the goal, and suddenly found confidence.

All three subs were spot on, not much different to DS but they had an impact tactically. El Ghazi only had a cameo but we always look more dangerous with him and I'd much rather him or Bailey than Buendia.

Â