Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Brighton

limpid

Match Polls  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/11/21 at 23:59

Wonderful. Really happy to be back to winning ways and fair play to Gerrard - has the passion and seems to have motivated the players. As soon as Watkins scored and the players’ tails were back up we looked different class. Hopefully that injection of confidence means we’ve turned a corner.

Big critic of Mings but he was class today and what a finish  long may it continue.

Buendia unfortunately looks like a shit N’Zogbia. Absolute turd of a player and awful personality.

Reminds me of the Everton game. We looked pretty pedestrian until all of a sudden we didn't. 

All of Gerrard's changes contributed to the win, but I thought Potter taking off Lamptey also helped immensely. 

• Like 3

Not really any negatives today just a solid performance against a decent team. Perhaps most importantly McGinn had his best game for ages and the same for Targett which is encouraging.

Buendia is just wasting a spot at the moment though, I would rather el Ghazi played there at the moment.

Edited by AVFCDAN

Much-needed win. Still sloppy at times, Buendia still struggling, and from an attacking point of view before the goal we were really quite poor.

But defensively and out of possession we were better. Still needed Martinez to make some big saves but weren't nearly as open as in recent weeks.

Unfortunately Smith never got the team comfortable in possession and pressing effectively so Brighton had a lot of the ball, but hopefully we will improve on this in time. 

They still had too much time on the ball at times but in non-dangerous positions and we were smart with how we set up. 

Still very early days but some good signs from Gerrard's management given he's only had a week with the team. 

• Like 1

Can't really ask for much more. A manager is never going to be able to imprint his philosophy on a new team in a week, so digging deep and stopping the slide was crucial. 2 goals and a clean sheet is a big bonus.

Both halves pretty much went the same way, I think. We started both sharply, but faded away as Brighton controlled the possession (which, to be fair, is pretty much what they do to teams - control the possession and frustrate you). 

A win gives us a great platform and relieves a huge amount of pressure. It's nice to not be pissed off on a Saturday evening for once!

• Like 2

If McGinn can play like this, great, but the midfield is generally not where it should be. Here in lies our improvement together with a more confident, familiar front three. 

Would like to see Bailey - Watkins - Traore tried upfront. I think we need a new face to anchor the midfield. I think Sanson could nail down the other place.

But we would then have a strong bench and options should form dip/rotation.

Hopefully once we steady the ship and hopefully get some results, Chuck, Bidace and Archer get some game time.

10 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Not really any negatives today just a solid performance against a decent team. Perhaps most importantly McGinn had his best game for ages and the same for Targett which is encouraging.

Buendia is just wasting a spot at the moment though, I would rather el Ghazi played there at the moment.

I thought Buendia was OK on balance, definitely improving.

17 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

He shouldn’t be competing with bailey , Ings should be competing for ollies place up top 

Let's have both! As long as we find the best 3 . The point is that ollie can play in both position 

3 minutes ago, skell said:

Let's have both! As long as we find the best 3 . The point is that ollie can play in both position 

Ollie definitely can yeah but Ings and Ollie shouldn’t be on the pitch at the same time, it hasn’t worked once this season. We didn’t need Ings to start with 

A very important win today. (it stops the rot and has extra significance when you see the other results at the bottom of the table)

• It's too early to see any noticeable changes but we got the job done.
  • I was pleased to see Mings win some early ball in the air and hopefully he has now taken on responsibility to attack crosses at both ends.
  • The back four were effective and looked more assured than of late but BHA don't have a real cutting edge to threaten given all that possession
  • We still have the Ings /Watkins conundrum to solve. it's just not working and Ollie looked a disconsolate figure until Ings went off. There was no way he was passing even though AEG was wide open😀.
  • Martinez did not have loads to do but did everything asked of him.
  • Makamba was solid & held things together. I was pleased to see him on the teamsheet, given some pre-match rumours.
  • Jury still out on Buendia but given that he has such an important role in this formation we need to see more influence on the game.
  • Ashley Young looked good in the time he was on and played a super ball to Ollie.

A great start for Stevie G and the team, let's hope they can build on this when he gets a full squad and more time with the players at Bodymoor Heath. Today should have given him a fair representation of our limitations and the challenges ahead for him

UTV

p.s, Anthony Taylor was poor today, especially when it was not a difficult game to ref.

• Like 1

Â