Liverpool Terror Attack

bickster

Completely separate to VT in my other life I had a message from a friend that used to live in Liverpool asking why they were keeping the bombing quiet.

Asked my missus if she knew anything about it (not because she looks shifty), and she didn’t know what I was on about.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Scott, I've been monitoring this since about 11:30 yesterday morning, Terror wasn't mentioned at all until the three arrests were made. Counter-terrorism officers were only being used "as a precaution" up until that point

It was only declared a terrorist Incident about an hour ago. You appear to think I'm talking about journalists here, I'm not

It was originally reported as arrests for terrorism offences and today is listed as a terrorist incident - it's unusually muted language, but it's there, front and centre on the biggest news outlet we have. Boris's speech, which I'm guessing is the one where he said he could have handled the Owen Paterson row better isn't on the BBC's front page, it's not even on their England news page, you can find a piece on it if you go to their politics section. 

Now for me there's possibly a point to be made on how the BBC hides Boris's bad news, but I just found it strange that you thought the terror story was being suppressed in order to get maximum coverage for a speech by Boris, when the method that the BBC seem to have chosen is putting the terror story right out front and hiding the Boris story away somewhere - it's almost the opposite, with the terror story being used to hide the things going on in government.

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Why are you talking about the news? I'm not

You are, or were. You implied that the bombing had been deliberately undercovered in order to allow maximum coverage of a speech by Boris Johnson and then went on to say that the story hasn't been the BBC headline news story in the last couple of days. 

Also the Reading stabbings last year were also only declared a terrorism the day after the event.

Initial police statements from Thames Valley Police on the evening of the incident said that the incident was "not currently being treated as a terrorism incident" and that they were "keeping an open mind as to the motivation", although counter terrorism officers were deployed.[45] The next morning, Counter-Terrorism Policing South East stated that the attacks were "a terror incident".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Reading_stabbings

Not immediately jumping to 'terrorism' is the right move for both the police and media. The police shouldn't be dealing in the ultimate crime until they understand what's happened (and why) with the certainty to pursue it, and media shouldn't be sensationalistic in their reporting of 'this kind of thing' as they are actually involved in the act in a terrorism case - the act is done wanting the cameras and the reports to see it, and plastering terrorism over it in the immediate aftermath serves only to boost that, and make it more successful. It's better to keep your powder dry and downplay it.

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Yeah I don't want to take any credit away from the driver if he deserves some, but this just looks like the bomb went off a bit early and the cabbie thankfully survived and got out.

I wonder if the stories about him locking him in are just being made up?

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I don't want to take any credit away from the driver if he deserves some, but this just looks like the bomb went off a bit early and the cabbie thankfully survived and got out.

I thought that, but then I considered he could have seen a device, then locked the doors potentially sacrificing himself knowing if he gets out the car and runs the guy can enter the hospital 

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

I thought that, but then I considered he could have seen a device, then locked the doors potentially sacrificing himself knowing if he gets out the car and runs the guy can enter the hospital 

Maybe, but why would he still be driving up to the hospital if he knew the guy had a bomb?

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

They are and I can say that with 100% confidence

The car is still moving when it explodes, if the doors were locked him getting out would have opened them. I drive the exact same car

Surprised the latest terrorist atrocity in Liverpool hasn't received it's own thread (unless I've missed it). Any guesses who might be responsible; probably not the much-reviled 'far right' that we are constantly being warned about.

45 minutes ago, veloman said:

Surprised the latest terrorist atrocity in Liverpool hasn't received it's own thread (unless I've missed it). Any guesses who might be responsible; probably not the much-reviled 'far right' that we are constantly being warned about.

You alright Hun?

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It's not like the far right ever hurt anyone.

Birmingham-Blitz-1.jpg

de504e92-d215-4f78-9fae-09d0e0899ec8-194

_106638384_8c98c97f-2b07-4d34-ac8b-92488

23norway2-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=75&auto=w

Oh come on !  I don't think one can equate these atrocities (which  I believe were committed  mainly in a theatre of war) with the Terror threat posed in the UK. NVB - in no way do I support or seek to justify the Far Right but I wouldn't be surprised if atrocities committed in the UK by far right supporters are much fewer than those committed by (largely) discrete religious groups.

Â