Gary McAllister - Assistant Head Coach

MaVilla

He was Gerard Houllier's third pick as assistant if I can remember. Phil Thompson and a French bloke turn down the gig, if I remember correctly. He took over as manager after GH had his health issues and got some good victories against top sides. He has spoken well about Villa, said he enjoyed his time here. He wanted to achieve more here. Faulkner fired him by text apparently - which upset him.

Edited by Villa_Vids

Fell out with a number of senior players like Houllier did. Seemed a bit of a yes man. Hopefully he has matured since then

He did OK as caretaker but pretty much abandoned all Houllier tactics and played Young on the wing again

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Fell out with a number of senior players like Houllier did. Seemed a bit of a yes man. Hopefully he has matured since then

He did OK as caretaker but pretty much abandoned all Houllier tactics and played Young on the wing again

to be fair, i thought about this, is it likely that the players he fell out with were dossers who didnt want to work as required for the club?

really wouldnt surprise me.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

Just now, MaVilla said:

to be fair, i thought about this, is it likely that the players he fell out with were dossers who didnt want to work as required for the club?

really wouldnt surprise me.

Yes but they should have waited until the end of the season but instead did it mid season and put us in a relegation battle 

He’s always talked of the club in a very complimentary manner. Always shown us the upmost respect. His last spell at the club was unfortunate due to lots of factors but he was a really good footballer and I think he will slot in nicely. 

12 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Didn’t he mastermind the win over Liverpool when Houllier went off sick?

Bit of a flippant way to refer to life threatening heart problems. It's not like he had the shits after a dodgy biryani.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Didn’t he mastermind the win over Liverpool when Houllier went off sick?

Beat Arsenal under him in the last away day. Was actually a real progression in our style of play under them both in the last couple of months of that season. 

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

Bit of a flippant way to refer to life threatening heart problems. It's not like he had the shits after a dodgy biryani.

I wasn’t criticising him or think he was bunking off or anything… but heart problem, shits or COVID, he WAS off sick

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

We finished 6th the season before

But we played better football And were in a transition period we were giving bannan , hogg and albrighton game time  if Houlier wouldn’t have fell ill we would have been much better the next season 

• Like 3

On 13/11/2021 at 22:28, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Agbonlahor, James Collins and Richard Dunne were 3 who fell out with him anyway. Hopefully there is a much higher level of professionalism in the current squad.

I'll never forgive those three for how they acted after O'Neill left, especially after finding out why Dunne was so upset at Houllier.

Apparently Houllier, a Frenchman, had the gall to celebrate France beating Ireland in the 2010 World Cup playoff as he left the stadium and that's why Dunne never gave him a chance at Villa. He says it was because he was a "UEFA official" and should've been neutral about it, which; 1) he's still French, let him celebrate France getting to the World Cup, and 2) he was a **** advisor to the FFF at the time! Collins just went along with it because Dunne hated him and I wouldn't be surprised if Gabby was the same. Or maybe he just disliked putting effort in to training.

All three of them are words removed.

• Like 4

Â