Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

15 hours ago, TRO said:

Mine is a Villa season ticket holder, born in Holte rd......I pick 'em well, see.😀

Mrs. T just cant see what all the fuss is about after all its only a game of football. But does make sure all my tops are available for a week end and although she moans about me taking a top on holiday and "looking like thug". She has brought me adidas trainers in villa colours and smart Polo shirts that are Villa but not so stand out. Not a bad old stick really  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Mrs. T just cant see what all the fuss is about after all its only a game of football. But does make sure all my tops are available for a week end and although she moans about me taking a top on holiday and "looking like thug". She has brought me adidas trainers in villa colours and smart Polo shirts that are Villa but not so stand out. Not a bad old stick really  

Rob...My Mum used to describe it as a bag of leather filled with air, and a bunch of grown men chasing after it.....Fortunately my dad had a different opinion.

How to kill my passion in one foul swoop.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Anfield and Gerrard, obviously it was always going to be a game that the media took significant interest in. I like Gerrard’s attitude to the game though and it feels very different to say when Gerard Houllier went their with us in December 2010. There’s no denying that it’s going to be a tough afternoon but like against Man City recently, all I want is to see us compete and make it difficult for them.

It’s not always pretty on the eye for some but a tight 433 formation is probably our best way at playing at present. Obviously our possession stats will be low but when we do have the ball, we need to make it count and not be sloppy. Nothing worse than gifting the ball to the opposition.

The games now come thick and fast for a couple of weeks and I think we have several players (Cash, Mings and McGinn?) who are one booking away from suspension. We’ll need everyone for the games ahead, so no silly bookings please. My heart is saying we can collect a point from the game but my head is saying a narrow defeat. A win and I may crack open Mrs F’s Christmas booze stash!

Martinez

Cash             Konsa                   Mings         Targett

Nakamba

Luiz                       McGinn

Buendia               Watkins                *Young  

Subs:  Steer, Hause, Tuanzebe, Sanson, *Ramsey, Carney, El-Ghazi, Ings, Davis

*I’d be happy with Young or Ramsey on the left of the forward three. I’ve gone Young purely for his big game experience but no doubt that Ramsey would be fine to start if chosen. UTV

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, VillaLion63 said:

Just got a feeling Villa will be a side show and an afterthought this Saturday with the Liverpool / Gerrard lovefest.

I don't think SG will allow that....He will be well aware of the role he plays professionally.

Sure, He will be greeted and sure he will show his appreciation, but when that whistle blows, he wants to win...don't forget his backroom staff, have attachment too, but that will be put to one side, too.

Edited by TRO

Wonder if we’ll see a curveball thrown in there by Gerrard. Random start for El Ghazi or something.

Just thinking about the players walking out on that pitch tomorrow with an aura in the ground of an undeniable clear change of dynamic about the game and occasion with Liverpool going against Stevie Fookin Geeeee lad for the very first time. Got to be strange. Hope we can take advantage. Im really looking forward to the game now UTV

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Wonder if we’ll see a curveball thrown in there by Gerrard. Random start for El Ghazi or something.

Just thinking about the players walking out on that pitch tomorrow with an aura in the ground of an undeniable clear change of dynamic about the game and occasion with Liverpool going against Stevie Fookin Geeeee lad for the very first time. Got to be strange. Hope we can take advantage. Im really looking forward to the game now UTV

I am hoping he blanks all the Gerrard chants for the whole game and there is a difficult moment in the game and he goes toe to toe with klopp. The guy is made of steel it has to be said . I dont want the liverpool fans all lovie dovie . I want them hating him during his tenure at the Villa. 

• Like 1

Come on Villa, please help me out here, my  manager's a massive Liverpool fan (and a 'challenging' manager 😕 and if they damn well thrash us it will be really hard having to face her on Monday morning. 😬 Just don't lose by more than 3, that's all I ask. 

Edited by robby b

Very difficult game, Plop have been massively boosted at the back with Van Dijk's return and Salah is playing like a man possessed this season. Jota is doubtful so if he doesn't play at least one of their front three is missing (and Firmino isn't fit either I don't think).  

Key thing for us is to start much better than the last 2 games. We need to start the game how we started the 2nd half against City or Leicester or first half against Palace without being too open. The full backs need to be a bit more conservative in this one given the quality of their full backs and wide players. 

If we score first it would make the game interesting. We've generally performed well at Anfield over the last decade even when we were shite, hopefully put in another good performance today.

I think if we play to our best we can do well today, my worry is that we looked awful for patches in the Leicester match and got away with it, I think we’ll be punished quicker against Plop.

That said, there’s little expectation so as long as our lads don’t give them too much respect I think we’ll have a chance. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Just watched a bit of Sky Sports News. I know Gerrards return is the big story of the game but I’m bored of the level of coverage already. I can’t wait until this game is over. Not feeling overly optimistic about the 90 mins either.

Just have to think of it like this. We got those 3 wins at a great time when we needed it most. We’re back to a respectable position and No one expects anything today anyway but we have a much better chance of a Villa shock result than we did a month ago. We were letting Arsenal look like Liverpool without any fight not long ago. I cant wait to see how we rise to the challenge tbh

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I think if we play to our best we can do well today, my worry is that we looked awful for patches in the Leicester match and got away with it, I think we’ll be punished quicker against Plop.

That said, there’s little expectation so as long as our lads don’t give them too much respect I think we’ll have a chance. 

The lion roars sometimes,  that's why we support the Villa. 

We have a good squad with some game changers within it,  we have a good manager who will go toe to toe with anyone.  0-0 after 20 mins then who knows.  They got it all to lose remember.

• Like 1