Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

Need to start much better than we did at Leicester - I don't think we really got going until the "goal" that wasn't. If we start as sloppy as we did then the game will be over after 15 mins (maybe earlier!)

Bit early for a team selection but I think guaranteed starters (any fitness concerns aside) are these 7 - Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Mings, McGinn, Nakamba and Watkins.

I personally would add Buendia onto that list because I think he had a good second half on Sunday and I think he can give us that bit of magic. So that's 8 of the 11.

That leaves 3 places up for grabs.

Ashley Young (after a ropey first 15) played pretty well against the Foxes - probably deserves to start, whether that be at LB or further forward but will 3 games in 10 days be too much even for a fit guy like Young (awaits KW gif) ? That's the concern with this one. Will Matt Targett be fit, if so, I would expect (& hope) he comes straight back in at LB. I think he edges AY in that position but whoever plays there is going to be severely tested so need to be bang at it. - I will assume MT is fit and he is selection 9 and that's the defence sorted.

I am assuming Bailey / Traore / Ings / Trez are all either out or not up to speed so I don't think they are in the reckoning which leaves 2 places to be occupied by either Young, Luiz, Ramsey, Sanson, Chuk, El Ghazi, Davis and JPG or if there's a formation change Axel or Hause.

I don't expect a formation change so I think it will probably be Luiz and Ramsey that get the nod. I personally would like to see Sanson start but anyway, whoever starts, tough tough game and a bit like the Man City fixture I would accept a decent performance and a close game - I think we have the tools to hurt their backline but if on song they could destroy ours. Nil nil then 😛 

Most worried about the defence holding out and not giving away a pen or switching off for a second. Need to a) not let them score early and b) keep the concentration right ot the final whistle. They've scored a ridiculous number of late goals and we always seem to have one mistake in us. IF we can start on the front foot, rather than being overwhelmed like against City, we can definitely trouble them on the counter.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

We could be blown away in the first 30 minutes if we are not careful. Salah is in the form of his life. Think this is the toughest test of the season.  

Paul, I think we have had the toughest test, Man City at home.

why at home?, because at home, you are expected to take the game to the opposition and I still think we are still a counter attacking team.

We haven't got the control of possession to be anything else.

should be a good game.

We have 3 key players one yellow card away from suspension- Cash, McGinn and Mings. Do you think we will see any attempts to pick up a booking in different games so they stagger their absences or do you think they will cross their fingers and hope they make it through to New Year with no further bookings but also risk 2-3 being out for the same game.

22 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

We have 3 key players one yellow card away from suspension- Cash, McGinn and Mings. Do you think we will see any attempts to pick up a booking in different games so they stagger their absences or do you think they will cross their fingers and hope they make it through to New Year with no further bookings but also risk 2-3 being out for the same game.

I think we're finally at a point where the squad is strong enough to not have to worry about missing any one player for one game. I think they'll just serve them whenever they happen to come up and Gerrard will rotate.

• Like 2

Remember this like it was yesterday. Brett Holman and Barry Bannan playing blinders lol. Funny if you watch Bannan in the lead up to that exquisite Weimann goal, putting the new gaffer on his ass. Slippy G was born on this day really. Benteke unplayable. Then the following week we suffered our heaviest ever PL defeat. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hong0311 said:

These are the sort of games we have to pull something out of, if we want to make up the lost grounds.

This one really isn't!

Not many will get anything away at Annfield, its a pure bonus game!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Remember this like it was yesterday. Brett Holman and Barry Bannan playing blinders lol. Funny if you watch Bannan in the lead up to that exquisite Weimann goal, putting the new gaffer on his ass. Slippy G was born on this day really. Benteke unplayable. Then the following week we suffered our heaviest ever PL defeat. 

A very different Christian Benteke. He really was a player back then. Was thinking when we played Palace the other week, that moment when Benteke went through and Mings just powered him off the ball. The Benteke with us used to break defenders arms when going into challenges like that or at least leave them in a heap on the ground. Amazing what a few injuries can do. Either he's lost most of the strength he had or Mings is a bigger man than he even looks. 

Also if you look at all the players around him very few have gone on to have careers in the top division. No surprise we were in such a mess after he left basically only him and Delph that had any ability and we sold them both in one summer. 

Edited by villaglint

14 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

That has been the Villa story for decades. I want to see an end to it, please, SG. 

14 hours ago, 7392craig said:

My Mrs and my boss are both Liverpool fans. As you can imagine this fixture has a lot riding on it for me.

If we win you won't be riding the Mrs 😂

• Haha 3