Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Obviously this is a major gamble given he has only managed in Scotland, but have to believe the club know what it's doing and that they've done their due diligence.

He will have to sign top quality players if he wants to move us forward and not players from Rangers or unwanted Liverpool players. I hope Purslow has made that clear.

Really, really hope it works out even if I am sceptical. Best of luck SG and start moving us up the table. 

2 minutes ago, penguin said:

Really don’t understand why we’ve sacked Smith to do this. Ridiculous gamble.

Obviously hope he proves me wrong.

Smith was judged on results and performances rightly so as will be Gerrard , I think we are in a much better place as a club than  we were a week ago 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, MachoFantastico said:

anyone who thinks this isn't just a stepping stone for him to eventually move to Liverpool once Klopp finishes is deluding themselves. 

I want him to get the Liverpool job in 2.5 years time.   That mean's Gerrard will have taken Villa into the top 6 in the league and Europe.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

Welcome Gerrard.

No pressure, but we are 7 points off 6th place in the league.  If you can claw back that gap over the next few months and get us into Europe, that would be great.

that would be an expectation that i didnt hold for smith so im not going to hold it now either

if he can blood through 2 or 3 youngsters by the end of the season, finish 10th, do ok in the FA cup, win the JPT i will be happy - that was my expectation in the summer, hasnt changed

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, penguin said:

Really don’t understand why we’ve sacked Smith to do this. Ridiculous gamble.

Obviously hope he proves me wrong.

We were on a downward spiral under Smith, changes needed to be made.

• Like 3

I was sat in The Trinity Road Stand, near the dugout when Timmy became manager and was gobsmacked by the number of photographers lined up waiting for him to make his entrance.  Stevie will be on a different level.

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I want him to get the Liverpool job in 2.5 years time.   That mean's Gerrard will have taken Villa into the top 6 in the league and Europe.

He Has time on his side - could stay here 6 years and still go to Liverpool in his 40s 

Just now, villa4europe said:

that would be an expectation that i didnt hold for smith so im not going to hold it now either

if he can blood through 2 or 3 youngsters by the end of the season, finish 10th, do ok in the FA cup, win the JPT i will be happy - that was my expectation in the summer, hasnt changed

Ah yeah, i wasn't being altogether serious.  But with a bit of luck, a new manager bounce, some different tactics and some spending in the January window, 8th isn't out of reach (for any manager). Of course 10-12th is more likely, but i like to dream as well.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, meregreen said:

Replacing a manager who’s just lost 5 in a row with one who’s won 40 in a row. Doesn’t make sense does it 🤔

I’ve just won 50 games on the trot but I didn’t get a look in.

A little context makes a huge difference

• Like 1

Â