Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

4 pages in and this thread sounds like funeral service commentary book so far.

You’re right, it reads exactly like he messages in my nans service book. It was a very strange funeral. 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Need to spend big in January if SG don't get us to climb up the table from here until then. Which is not a given.

He just needs to win the Brighton game and that can hopefully kickstart the season.

Dosen't and we then have four really tough fixtures to follow.

Hope I'm wrong and purely linking it just to the Liverpool connection but this feels like it will play out a bit like Houllier following O'Neill.

MON is probably the direct comparison from the past - not on management experience but on joining Villa when there was money to spend and genuine ambition. SG couldn't ask for more from a new job anywhere - there will be no excuses for anything less than solid top half finish this season and a europe qualifying spot the season after.

15 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Not massively enthused by this but has my support…

Indeed.

It's going to be brilliant, or it's going to be relegation.

In the meantime...

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Just now, Wurzel said:

Welcome Gerrard, I hope you do well. Big risk from the club, lets hope we have a manager on the up that will make his name at Aston Villa.

Two things, first this feels like a result of the lack of managerial options out there right now and two, anyone who thinks this isn't just a stepping stone for him to eventually move to Liverpool once Klopp finishes is deluding themselves. Would have much rather us got someone in for the longer term, maybe even stuck it out with Smith. 

Â