Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Not going to lie, i have swung between not liking the idea of Gerrard, and thinking it might be a really good appointment, up and down like a hookers knickers.

However, now he is here, i hope he does the business, the key things for me:

1) Inject some steel in to the team.

2) Get us playing some more attractive football than we have seen for the last 6-12 months. (aka: not hoof ball)

3) Fix the midfield in Jan, as a minimum.

Best of luck to him, i hope he succeeds, for all of our sakes!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

One more thing, can we please please please not start callling him "Stevie G" thanks!

I’m almost certain the chant will be “Stevie G’s Claret & Blue Army” so it’ll soon catch on and spread like herpes.

• Like 1

Not to blow my own trumpet but I'd kind of called this for a couple of months so have almost had time to come round to the idea.

Colour me skeptical, there's no guarantees in football but there's even more of an unknown here given he hasn't got the biggest track record and the jump in standard from two-horse race in Scotland to the competitiveness from around 7th-16th in the PL can't be underestimated, however what he has done has been impressive regardless and gives me enough reason to think he can be a success.

As with any Villa manager though I want him to do well because I want the club to do well, so he gets a fair crack from me and my full backing. Each to their own but I never really get folk cutting their nose off to spite their face because they've decided from the get-go that they're either for or against a manager,  permanently, regardless of what they do or don't do during their tenure.

Anyway, welcome Stevie lad!

• Like 1

You don't manage an undefeated league season at any professional level without being able to instill a whole lot of a grit and mental toughness into your troops. You have to be organised and switched on every week. 

Having a footballer of his prominence as a manager doesn't hurt with exposure, sponsorships and potentially attracts players to us. This being 'the Stevie G show' might be frustrating for some but it's not necessarily a bad thing. For how many young stars was Gerrard a hero growing up?

I'm definitely in the positive camp. 

I really cannot understand the negative comments about our new Head Coach, so what if he played for liverpoo and is a scouser?

What happens if he turns us around and under him we win the FA cup next year?

Lets just give him and our team our 110% support, if his ambition is to manage liverpoo one day, so what?.....but to get there he needs to show success with the Villa, and I am confident he will

Think this appointment needs to be seen in context. The board have made a clear statement of ambition here. They are not prepared to bumble around in mid table, which was probably the best they could hope for with Smith, although the reality was worse, just over 1 point per match in 2021 calendar year.

They have appointed Gerrard believing he can fulfil that ambition. Can’t see why any Villa fan would want them or him to fail.

I’m looking forward to the next few months and years to see where this takes the club, so welcome Steve and coaching team, please live up to the ambition!

(And do try to ignore all those desperately tedious scouser gifs.)

• Like 1

Â