Pre-match Thread

alreadyexists

8 hours ago, Villarcana said:

Wouldnt be at all surprised if we start seeing much more of the likes of Chuky and JPB instead of Nakamba and El ghazi (both I expect to move in January, maybe loans). It was really frustrating seeing Smith play these players clearly not of the grade instead of giving our exciting prospects a fair crack of it. Id assume this was heavily talked about in Gerrards remit. In the Grealish interview about the replacements from the board the emphasis was also on the exciting youngsters coming through. Gerrard will be expected to get them blooded in i'd have thought.

So im expecting more substitute appearances from the youth on the bench. Hopfully this starts against Brighton, would be a great statement of intent from SG for the young players if a couple can get on. 

To be fair to Smith I thought he was good at bringing through the youth that were good enough. 

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Only really brought through Ramsey though.

Both Ramsey’s made the match squad (I think) as has Chuckwumeka and Philogene-Bidace.

I know you have an irrational hatred of Dean Smith though so believe what you want! 

Edited by alreadyexists

8 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Both Ramsey’s made the match squad (I think) as has Chuckwumeka and Philogene-Bidace.

I know you have an irrational hatred of Dean Smith though so believe what you want! 

Archer, too. 

If you can't give credit where it's due, it says it all. 

I don't get this thing with posting stuff just for a reaction. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

To be fair to Smith I thought he was good at bringing through the youth that were good enough. 

It was looking like that and Archer, Ramsey has been great, just recently though when things were getting a bit stale, I was starting to get frustrated with seeing the more 'experienced but not good enough' players come on rather than the youngsters when we clearly needed a bit of spark and energy. Probably thought experience was needed as we were in a bit of a slump. Maybe with a fresh start SG may be more inclined to go with developing the youth in terms of some good minutes this season over Nakamba , Young and El Ghazi.
 But then again Smith was working daily with them so if they arent quite making the grade yet then its not always wise to throw them in (confidence etc). Many ways to look at it. 

Anyway its going to be really strange not having Dean in the dugout and seeing Steven Gerrard, it just all happened so quick. 

41 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Only really Ramsey has been playing regularly.

Carney started against Brentford, never to be seen again.

Bidace not really been featuring in the league.

10 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Why the hell is everyone putting Watkins out wide when last season he was one of (if not) the best pressers in the league at centre forward and scored 15 goals?

Ings was a panic Purlsow buy. He doesn't fit our system and should be used from the bench when we need something different.

It's completely wrecked Ollie bringing him in to the team.

but we couldn't face an arduous season, with one, recognised striker....that was the central issue.

12 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Why the hell is everyone putting Watkins out wide when last season he was one of (if not) the best pressers in the league at centre forward and scored 15 goals?

Ings was a panic Purlsow buy. He doesn't fit our system and should be used from the bench when we need something different.

Yep. Do you a)- build a forward line around a 25 year old who rarely gets injured or b) a injury prone 29 year old?

• Like 2

On 09/11/2021 at 17:26, It's Your Round said:

Hopefully we have a new manager in place. I’d quite like to hear some songs for Deano though, just to let him know that we still love him. 

Hmmm.  I'm not sure that would give our new manager a big vote of confidence.

Ok with welcoming him when he's back with Norwich though.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Hmmm.  I'm not sure that would give our new manager a big vote of confidence.

Ok with welcoming him when he's back with Norwich though.

Yeah I agree with that, I’ve moved on somewhat from Dean’s exit now. I wish him well but now he’s reemployed I feel less sorry for him. 

On 11/11/2021 at 15:19, BOF said:

No idea here. You'd think he won't tinker massively. But because we do know how to play 433 you'd think he'll go 433 as that's his preferred formation by all accounts. I'm kind of hoping we go Bailey Watkins Buendia up top with McGinn Luiz in the centre. It wouldn't surprise me if he goes defensive with Marvelous and gives the more advanced midfield role to McGinn. The back 4 picks itself.

I hope you are right. I'd probably prefer Luiz-SJM-Ramsey unless Sanson has proven his fitness and replaces Ramsey.

On 14/11/2021 at 03:58, TheAuthority said:

Agreed. Fine player that Inge is, he just doesn't fit in easily. The pace of Bailey and movement/energy of Watkins are the perfect foils for Buendia's drifting inside, creating space by stretching defences.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TRO said:

but we couldn't face an arduous season, with one, recognised striker....that was the central issue.

Again agreed, but buying someone like Edouard (half the price, much lower wages, much younger and happy to come south and play as first reserve) would have made much more sense to me. Use the headroom on McKennie or El Ghazi replacement.

• Like 1