England v Albania/San Marino v England

andykeenan

England v Albania Friday 12 November
San Marino v England Monday 15 November

Both games 7.45pm kick offs ITV

The squad 

1. Goalkeepers: Sam Johnstone (West Bromwich Albion), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Conor Coady (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Reece James (Chelsea), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Kalvin Phillips (Leeds United), Declan Rice (West Ham United), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)

Forwards: Tammy Abraham (AS Roma), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City)

my only issue with it is that no offence to them but its albania at home and san marino away with us needing a draw vs albania or a win vs san marino to qualify, realistically we should win both comfortably 

im not sure who exactly is knocking on the door but they'd be ideal games to at least look at someone different, maybe smith rowe

hopefully bellingham plays and plays well

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Hate to say it, but Tyrone should count himself lucky that he's clinging onto his place there

I dont think Gareth Southgate picks players on club form 😉

Probably doesn't even know he got dropped 

TBH like all Southgate squad selections it's perfectly logical, and most of you would have slagged off literally whatever squad he picked anyway.

That said, I think there's enough there who aren't in great club form to predict quite a few new faces for the friendlies after this.

On 05/11/2021 at 16:00, villa4europe said:

Ian Wright has had a pop on twitter saying players are guaranteed spots regardless of form 

Named 5 players he thinks deserve call ups tomori, Cresswell, Bowen, white, Gallagher 

Not denying those players are playing well *right now* but equally it's not too hard to see why they might not be picked either.

Tomori is maybe the harder one, I haven't watched him play but assuming he's on form fair enough, but he was in the last squad so he's hardly a forgotten man. Cresswell is a stupid suggestion - he's 31 and uncapped, so what would be the point of integrating him into the international set up for a maximum of 2-3 years; also, the position he is now best at (LCB) is one England don't usually play, and his main unusual skill - dead ball deliveries into the box - are not prioritised by England and could in any case be covered by Ward-Prowse who is younger and fits into more formations. Bowen is playing well, and I would guess he may get a chance in the friendlies next year, but also he's quite direct for an international footballer. Gallagher is in great form, but that form has lasted for 11 games, it could easily come to an end. White's good form is even less than 11 games, and not even *that* good.

I've done this point a few times now, but by this point it should be clear that Southgate's belief is that you should get a core group of players, get them experienced and used to be playing international football, and then only go beyond that core group when injuries or really wretched form or lack of gametime necessitate it. And basically, he's right about this IMO. I know that everyone hates Southgate so I'm on a hiding to nothing with this, but could some of his critics stop for a moment, leave those feelings aside, and ask themselves if it would really make sense to break up the centre-back pairing that got us to a world cup semi and a euros final to bring in Aaron Cresswell? I mean, would it *really*?

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not denying those players are playing well *right now* but equally it's not too hard to see why they might not be picked either.

Tomori is maybe the harder one, I haven't watched him play but assuming he's on form fair enough, but he was in the last squad so he's hardly a forgotten man. Cresswell is a stupid suggestion - he's 31 and uncapped, so what would be the point of integrating him into the international set up for a maximum of 2-3 years; also, the position he is now best at (LCB) is one England don't usually play, and his main unusual skill - dead ball deliveries into the box - are not prioritised by England and could in any case be covered by Ward-Prowse who is younger and fits into more formations. Bowen is playing well, and I would guess he may get a chance in the friendlies next year, but also he's quite direct for an international footballer. Gallagher is in great form, but that form has lasted for 11 games, it could easily come to an end. White's good form is even less than 11 games, and not even *that* good.

I've done this point a few times now, but by this point it should be clear that Southgate's belief is that you should get a core group of players, get them experienced and used to be playing international football, and then only go beyond that core group when injuries or really wretched form or lack of gametime necessitate it. And basically, he's right about this IMO. I know that everyone hates Southgate so I'm on a hiding to nothing with this, but could some of his critics stop for a moment, leave those feelings aside, and ask themselves if it would really make sense to break up the centre-back pairing that got us to a world cup semi and a euros final to bring in Aaron Cresswell? I mean, would it *really*?

Cresswell has a few caps already I think under Southgate 

• VT Supporter

As petty as it is, part of me wants Tyrone to be dropped and no Villa player called up so I can completely ignore the whole shit show of a tournament.

If there’s one Villa player involved, even if they’re (in all likelihood) just on the bench, I’ll probably feel the need to check the scores at least.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â