The manager situation

OutByEaster?

Back or sack Dean Smith?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel should happen in terms of Dean Smiths tenure as manager?

• Back him for the foreseeable future
    • Sack him if we lose to Southampton
    • Sack him if we lose our next two games
    • Sack him now

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/21 at 19:30

I think if the board are giving him ultimatums (such as he is sacked if we lose to WHU/Shampton) then they should pull the trigger now and look for somebody fresh to build on Dean's good work and to fix the issues.

The board are obviously not fully confident in Dean. Why wait?

I voted for going if he loses another two games (for me it'd actually be if he doesn't get at least 2 points from them).

If we were safe from relegation then I'd give him until the end of the season, but if we lose to Southampton we'll be looking quite vulnerable I think.

Someone else mentioned it today but I really think our football has looked quite bad style-wise since Shakespeare joined. It's been effective at times, but we seem to have become a long ball team and I'm just not sure playing that way will ever get us where we want to go.

Is Dean capable of getting the best out of our current playing squad?

Does he have the tactical skills to counter and beat a variety of very good footballing teams?

Can he discipline and motivate under performing and apparently disgruntled players?

If he manages to stop this current horror show can he then be relied on to make sure the same thing doesn't happen again in a couple of months time?

I have to say that I believe the answer is no. 

• Like 3

Can he take us to top 6 in the next 3 years whilst playing 4 teams with in my opinion the 4 greatest current managers on the planet. Nope i do not think he can but i do not think anyone could. 

So my next question to myself is can he show the consistemcy needed to rise above those 4 managers plus other really good managers and compete for a top 6 spot . My answer is absolutely not  . 

So the answer from me is he has to go asap ( with huge thanks and respect ) . 

• Like 1

Really want him to turn around, win Friday and go on a run, realistically do I think he will?  Sadly not, his failure to address the centre of midfield I think ultimately will cost him.  

The lack of any real style or identity I also find frustrating. 

Come on Deano, time to pull a big result out of the bag.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Can he take us to top 6 in the next 3 years whilst playing 4 teams with in my opinion the 4 greatest current managers on the planet. Nope i do not think he can but i do not think anyone could. 

So my next question to myself is can he show the consistemcy needed to rise above those 4 managers plus other really good managers and compete for a top 6 spot . My answer is absolutely not  . 

I believe that is setting the bar to high.

We had almost nothing when promoted. We've spent £300m but then had to sell a once in a generation player.

Around mid table would be ok with me. Sadly even that is looking a tad optimistic.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I agree with you, but I especially agree with your final phrase (with huge thanks and respect) I should have added that to my post.

Deserves a chance. I can't deny its a dodgy spell but he has got through these before ( mid table in the championship  before the 10 in  a row, 4-0 to Leicester pre lockdown) and I think he will do so again.I am also a realist and if we are in the bottom 5  come Christmas he could well be removed. But I hope not. Dean Smith's claret and blue army. UTV.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Not if but when....I think the writing is on the wall now unfortunately. 

I'm not of the opinion anymore that long term he can get us back to Europe the way things are. 

I feel bad because I really like the guy, he's been perfect for where we were but I think things need shaking up and I think it starts with him and his coaches. FWIW I actually think the nonsense with JT and RK has had a massive affect on his control and influence over the players.  

For me you have to ask how the coaching set up that delivered our best finish for close on 10 years. How was that allowed to unravel so quickly.  Esp as the idea of sporting director and head coach is to prevent such upheavals.

Should Smith go - virtually the whole coaching team will have changed since last season. The promised continuaty hasn't happened.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, avfc456 said:

Really want him to turn around, win Friday and go on a run, realistically do I think he will?  Sadly not, his failure to address the centre of midfield I think ultimately will cost him.  

The lack of any real style or identity I also find frustrating. 

Come on Deano, time to pull a big result out of the bag.

That is the heart of the question. Was smith turned down to bring in a midfielder after Smith-Rowe and Ward-Prowse did not happen, or did he say he was happy with his lot? We don't know

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I've seen enough to know he can produce good football and results.

I haven't seen enough to see him as a failure.

Long and short of it. I'm not against replacing him, but  the incoming manager would have to be pretty damn good to overcome the uncertainty of hiring a new manager. Smith is a known quantity and has produced with this team already. If he can't turn this around, he'll fall on his sword but I'll afford him that time to try and do it. It's not like there's any urgency in finishing in a particular position, other than not be in danger of relegation. If that ever becomes a legitimate worry then he'll have to go too.

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 1

I can't see him turning it around this time given how poor and disjointed our performances have become. I don't want to ever see the fans turn on him either given what he has done for the club either so that would be the silver lining of the club being ruthless with him and not letting us get sucked into a proper relegation dog fight.

• Like 1