Meta

Lichfield Dean

Facebook the corporation has so many fingers in so many pies, and the name is so toxic, they've rebranded.

They also want to position themselves as pioneers of the technological metaverse - a growing idea in the tech world of where the internet can go, effectively a unified environment for all forms of connected devices/services/ways of engaging with the internet.

And that's it.

• Like 1

This is Facebook growing to a size where Facebook being the name of the company and the social media site no longer make sense. 

Facebook is Facebook, but it's also Instagram, WhatsApp, Oculus and more. It makes more sense for those to be products of a parent company and that parent company is now called Meta. 

I am sure over the coming months we will see branding change. Oculus from Facebook, will probably change to Oculus from Meta. They'll also probably remove the mandatory Facebook account from Oculus, because while Facebook and Oculus share the same parent company, they're separate products in the stack now. 

This is a change that Facebook needed to make. They are growing at quite the rate and as they get further into VR, AR and other smart devices it makes sense to rebrand. 

Don't do Facebook or Instagram and only use WhatsApp because it's slick and even then only because everyone around me does.

Hate what it all stands for, money money money at the cost of everything. Ban the lot of it for me, I wouldnt be surprised if it causes more harm then good.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Don't do Facebook or Instagram and only use WhatsApp because it's slick and even then only because everyone around me does.

Hate what it all stands for, money money money at the cost of everything. Ban the lot of it for me, I wouldnt be surprised if it causes more harm then good.

It's fine though. Even though you don't use Facebook, you have a profile made up from all the data shared by people you know that do use it.

3 minutes ago, limpid said:

It's fine though. Even though you don't use Facebook, you have a profile made up from all the data shared by people you know that do use it.

What's fine about it?

It's true though and they are more advanced day by day, I've discussed buying a new TV on here and have spoken to a friend in detail about it but face to face, I highly suspect the mic in my phone has been listening or it has more likely been picked from from YouTube review views, as the exact brand, model and even the **** screen size has appeared in advertising in various places, like sky apps and Twitter (I never post on twitter and follow just Villa related stuff for read only info) etc.

• Shocked 1

5 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

What's fine about it?

It's true though and they are more advanced day by day, I've discussed buying a new TV on here and have spoken to a friend in detail about it but face to face, I highly suspect the mic in my phone has been listening or it has more likely been picked from from YouTube review views, as the exact brand, model and even the **** screen size has appeared in advertising in various places, like sky apps and Twitter (I never post on twitter and follow just Villa related stuff for read only info) etc.

Blocking third party cookies stops that for me.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Risso said:

So you can buy "land" in the "Metaverse". It's all a bit too Matrix and Terminator-y for me.

Yeah it looks incredibly similar to the concept of "The Oasis" in Ready Player One. And the world in that book was famously wonderful...

Â