Pre-match thread

Tomaszk

On 23/10/2021 at 04:04, Tomaszk said:

A performance is needed rather urgently and West Ham are resolute as they come.

For me...

Emi

Cash  Konsa  Mings  Young    

Sanson    Luiz

Buendia  Ramsey   Bailey

Ings

Buendia and Mings lucky to survive. Got to give Emi a go in his normal position. I'm tempted to put McGinn as the marauding 10 because he will score goals if given a run there, I'm certain. Sick of his sloppy play right now though. 

I think even the lunatic Dean Smith would take a point if you offered him one.

Yeah, if Smith played him up front I'd definitely be asking questions. Keep him between the sticks I say 😁😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I look at our line ups man for man and on paper I'd say we look better everywhere apart from the all important central midfield, but that's where games are won or lost.  Obviously there's a massive disparity in confidence too at the moment.

Need a good response, can't repeat the first half Arsenal performance or we'll get stuffed. Would take a safety first approach to this and be as compact as possible and look to keep the ball and not go back to front too quickly. 0 - 0 would be a fine result here.

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I look at our line ups man for man and on paper I'd say we look better everywhere apart from the all important central midfield, but that's where games are won or lost.  Obviously there's a massive disparity in confidence too at the moment.

Think we're pretty evenly matched on paper, but they are stronger in CM like you say, and a more robust team all round.  

-----------------------Martinez---------------------                                               

Cash--------Konsa-------Mings-----------Targett

--------------------------Luiz---------------------------

----------------McGinn-----Ramsey------------

Buendia-------------------------------------Bailey

-------------------------Watkins------------------

Or

-----------------------Fabianski--------------------- 

Johnson--------Zouma-------Ogbonna------Cresswell

----------------Soucek-----Rice--------------------

Bowen-------------------------------------Fornals

---------------------Benrahma-------------------------

-------------------------Antonio---------------------

If i was picking a starting eleven from the two teams today I'd go - Martinez, Cash, Cresswell, Konsa, Mings, Rice, Soucek, Bowen, Benrahma, Bailey, Antonio.

May have (villa) claret & blue tinted glasses on though with 4 of the back 5 ours, bearing in mind the goals we are conceding and they've had about 8 clean sheets in their last 11.

That's possibly due to the protection they get from the midfield two and both teams style of play.

If you include Coufal when available then all of West Ham's back four get into the Villa team, for me. Then obviously the two in midfield, Emi in goal and there's a debate to be had on how you'd arrange the attacking players.

• Like 1

On 23/10/2021 at 08:05, Robtaylor200 said:

Posted this else where but still on my mind After 55 years experience of following the mighty Villa I have certainly seen some ups and downs, I watch with Rose tinted glasses most of the time but !. IMO I cant understand why Dean sticks with a formation that doesn't suit the team. Five at the back isn't working but he wont conceded until too late, Ollie and Ings is not working this way and Mings isn't good enough to have a free role, so stay at the back unless its a corner, our greatest CBs were our greatest CBs because they played at CB . Dean buys some decent midfielders and then reduces the midfield, Ings is a Centre forward scores most of his goals from assists by wingers, yet we select not to play with traditional wingers. Ollie scores most from the balls from midfield that we have reduced. What is wrong with 3, 4, 3, playing Ollie in the role that Ashley Young used to do on the wing and cutting across and Ings in the middle. Go away Dean and watch some Videos of when the Villa were great and learn from them. 

Phew. Love you Dean but please stick to what works and what the players are capable of and not what's in your head or I fear you may be managing in a lower league before Christmas and we would all hate that. Protect your Ar** and go back to basics

To be fair Rob, I think having 3 wingers injured has played a huge part in the system change....you are right about young and Morely, played in a front 3.

I think we have to go back to 4 at the back, because the space is a breeding ground for opposition crosses.....it keeps pointing to 4-3-3 to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Just no way we win this.

West Ham are so powerful. We just can't cope with that physicality.

I will be s***ting myself every time they get a set piece.

Hause has to play, for me.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Indigo said:

If you include Coufal when available then all of West Ham's back four get into the Villa team, for me. Then obviously the two in midfield, Emi in goal and there's a debate to be had on how you'd arrange the attacking players.

despite Antonio, being the football equivalent of Mike Tyson....their back 4 plus the 2 defending midfielders are instrumental in West Ham's robust approach to games.....They are the epitome of " Hard to beat"

its no coincidence to me, why they have done so well, since we was both scrapping to stay in the league, 2019/20.

but we have the option of looking at a similar midfield 2 in future windows, something I have advocated for some time.

We'll see how they get on against us on Sunday.

Edited by TRO

23 minutes ago, Indigo said:

The spine of their team is stronger and I would definately have Cresswell over Targett. 

• Like 1

I still can't quite get my head round how quickly west ham have turned it around under Moyes. Wasn't that long ago they were all moaning and hating the London stadium.

Now they are expanding  it to 62,0000 and gold and sullivan must be licking their lips over which dubious oil backed billionaire they can flog the club too.

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Gotta say though, he hasn't looked so assured this season. 

I agree but he’s our best centre back for me, he was great last season for sure. He was always going to be hard pressed to repeat last season’s level of performance this season

On 27/10/2021 at 14:31, Herman22 said:

I get the feeling DS will revert to the 4-3-3 he’s used in the past. But I think there may be a surprise or two. I expect 3 CBs to start with one at either left or right back. The most likely is Tuanzebe starts at CB beside Mings and Konsa moves to RB but Hause is a beast in the air so he might be tried at LB. 
I expect JJ to start in a three with Luiz and McGinn leaving a front 3 of Bailey, Ings and Watkins (he’ll be playing on the left). 
Not confident but we can hope! 

Actually wouldn’t surprise me if he put Konsa at RB to accommodate Hause due to their danger at set pieces. 

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if we won this one convincingly. All bad runs come to an end. Fingers crossed that end is on Sunday. 

We go for 433 Sheepy we win