Jump to content

Pre-match thread


Tomaszk
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, useless said:

When our fans get too optimistic before a game I always think it's a worrying sign, this is kind of the opposite, after all the moaning and melodrama, it wouldn't surprise me at all if we then went and beat West Ham.

I get this feeling about the optimism too. Has happened with Spurs & Arsenal just in recent memory.

West Ham just feel like one of our bogey clubs though. They could be battling relegation and they'd still pull something out against us, let alone the European side they currently are. I can see us getting a point but think three points will be very difficult.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Terrible record against the London sides so far this season. Lost them all bar the draw with Brentford, and we didn’t play well in that game either. 

I expect us to lose this, West Ham are where we want to be right now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get the feeling DS will revert to the 4-3-3 he’s used in the past. But I think there may be a surprise or two. I expect 3 CBs to start with one at either left or right back. The most likely is Tuanzebe starts at CB beside Mings and Konsa moves to RB but Hause is a beast in the air so he might be tried at LB. 
I expect JJ to start in a three with Luiz and McGinn leaving a front 3 of Bailey, Ings and Watkins (he’ll be playing on the left). 
Not confident but we can hope! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's rare to see Villa fans quite so much in agreement about anything as we are in the wanting to go 4-3-3 for this one.

 

And three CBs would help on us on set-pieces for this for sure!

Smith is always happy to go back to 433. He loves it nearly as much as his son, Ollie Watkins.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

And three CBs would help on us on set-pieces for this for sure!

Smith is always happy to go back to 433. He loves it nearly as much as his son, Ollie Watkins.

I'm confused by this - are you saying you'd like us to go 4-3-3 or that you'd prefer 5-3-2?

I think if Smith starts with three centrebacks there will be an immediate feeling of deflation around the ground, whereas because of the groundswell of public opinion from fans that want us to be 4-3-3, a selection that's four at the back could provide a lift - given that a fair bit of our current form troubles are around confidence, I think just the emotional effect of picking the shape the fans want could have an effect on the result.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We simply need to go back to four at the back with Cash and Targett where they should be. The centre has to be Mings/Konsa as you need a decent partnership that play well together and they did until it was disrupted by an extra CH. Neither Cash nor Targett are happy playing as true wingbacks and their form has deteriorated as a result. Simple change - go back to the 4 we used to have !

The other key change is to play Ollie out wide with Ings the out and out centre striker.

Those two changes alone will transform the team and our fortunes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


31 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm confused by this - are you saying you'd like us to go 4-3-3 or that you'd prefer 5-3-2?

He's stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'm pretty sure he wants to go back to 433 (because he always does) and probably will. But for this particular fixture, an extra CB would really help us defend set-pieces where the giants of West Ham excel.

31 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think if Smith starts with three centrebacks there will be an immediate feeling of deflation around the ground, whereas because of the groundswell of public opinion from fans that want us to be 4-3-3, a selection that's four at the back could provide a lift

I agree.

31 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

- given that a fair bit of our current form troubles are around confidence, I think just the emotional effect of picking the shape the fans want could have an effect on the result.

I hope so!

If he goes three at the back and we lose, oh boy it'll get grumpy in the ground. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd go with

 

 

                               Martinez

           Cash    Konsa   Mings   Targett

                    McGinn  Luiz  Ramsey

                   Bailey     Ings      Watkins

 

 

Subs: Steer, Hause, Tuanzebe, Young, Nakamba, Traore, Buendia.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, wedge said:

I'd go with

 

 

                               Martinez

           Cash    Konsa   Mings   Targett

                    McGinn  Luiz  Ramsey

                   Bailey     Ings      Watkins

 

 

Subs: Steer, Hause, Tuanzebe, Young, Nakamba, Traore, Buendia.

Be very surprised if this isn't the team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Not many players are really benefiting from playing this system. Konsa has looked horribly exposed, Targett is not a wing back, Mings and Tuanzebe have been terrible; our attacking patterns are none existent, Watkins looks a shadow of the player we had last season; its time to get back to basics and what we know served us well last season. Id like to see us employ the press that worked so well against Chelsea & Utd. We forced them into lots of errors in midfield and turned the ball over quickly turning defence into attack. Where has that been in the last 3 games. We have options on the bench now to carry on playing at a high intensity once McGinn/Ramsey/Buendia etc have run themselves into the ground. We need a big performance where we leave everything out there in front of a full VP.

Edited by BleedClaretAndBlue
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...
Â