Pre-match thread

Tomaszk

Not a team I'm looking forward to us facing on the back of three successive defeats and I would probably take a point right now if offered.

They are likely to play a 4-2-3-1 with Rice and Soucek a very strong midfield partnership I think the best way to combat this would be to pack the midfield and go 4-5-1.

We definitely don't need to be playing 3 central defenders (against a lone striker in Antonio) and our recent performances confirm that anyway - It worked to an extent at Chelsea (still lost) but not every game.

We have conceded 3 goals in our last two matches and I think we need to get a more solid base to work from, therefore injuries / fitness issues aside, I would go something like this:

Martinez

Cash           Konsa               Mings          Young

Traore     Luiz      Nakamba    McGinn      Bailey                           

Watkins

Ings a little unfortunate not to start as he has been better than Ollie so far this season but I do think Watkins is more suited to play as a lone forward hence why I would give him the nod - I would be hoping that having Ings on the bench to come on at any time for him (ok, 60 mins on) will spur him on to reaching the levels of last season 🤞

I think Young's knowhow might be important against the likes of Benrahma and Bowen so I include him over Targett. 

Traore (if fit) and Bailey given license to get at the West Ham full backs and provide ammunition to Ollie.

Key will be the midfield battle - they did a right number on us at VP last season and if they win this tussle it will be a long afternoon for us. There are arguments for various combinations in the midfield area, the likes of Sanson, Ramsey, Buendia, Chuck and to be honest I am not sure which is our "strongest" 3 which is completely different to our opponents. They are all capable of good and bad moments. I think Nakamba makes us a bit more solid and we tend to win more than we lose when he plays (?), yes his passing isn't great but I don't think it's a time for being pretty - just a time for grafting and getting the points for the real team in claret and blue!

Please 4-3-3 with one of Watkins or Ings not both. 

Let’s see what Bailey offers over 90 minutes: would love to see Bailey left and Buendia right and a solid midfield 3. 

Hope Bertie is back too. We really shouldn’t struggle with a full squad, we have so much talent, but it really is how you set them up. Let’s get back to basics and build on what worked last season.

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

Please 4-3-3 with one of Watkins or Ings not both. 

Let’s see what Bailey offers over 90 minutes: would love to see Bailey left and Buendia right and a solid midfield 3. 

Hope Bertie is back too. We really shouldn’t struggle with a full squad, we have so much talent, but it really is how you set them up. Let’s get back to basics and build on what worked last season.

If needs be I honestly wouldn’t have a problem with Watkins out left. I don’t get with the big deal is with playing him there. He loves to take players on and cut in anyway.

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

532 = lose

4-3-3 = who knows 

I tell you what's funny about this game... it feels like the time we need to move away from 352 now.

Yet, that loses us a CB and I'm terrified of West Ham from set-pieces. If the team isn't, they haven't been watching them properly this season. Honestly if we're going to play a back 4 I'm tempted to say play Hause regardless and figure out the others after. We need big Korts in there powering everything away.

• Haha 1

Martinez 

Cash   Konsa   Mings  Young

Luiz.  Sanson

Buendia                  

Traore    Watkins  Bailey

Mmmkay, thanks Dean.

Hmm, dominant in the air, strong large team with 2 or 3 tricky players.

This game calls for hause to combat Antonio and have someone who can head the ball with any sort of accuracy.

Would be tempted for ings emi on right Bailey on left 

Luiz mcginn sansom in the middle 

Back 4

And be prepared to switch things if its not going to plan.

The back 5 works with hause, it doesn't without him.

I've got a golden glow in my soul about this one, I think we will at least get a win, it just feels inevitable. If not a draw just to end the run of defeats and to give us something to build on going into more winnable games against Crystal Palace, Southampton and Brighton, not a bad result.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

I've got a golden glow in my soul about this one, I think we will at least get a win, it just feels inevitable. If not a draw just to end the run of defeats and to give us something to build on going into more winnable games against Crystal Palace, Southampton and Brighton, not a bad result.

I honestly think we are going to be destroyed 3 or 4 nil

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When our fans get too optimistic before a game I always think it's a worrying sign, this is kind of the opposite, after all the moaning and melodrama, it wouldn't surprise me at all if we then went and beat West Ham.

• Like 2