Pre match thread

roonst83

Just now, M_Afro said:

They will totally dominate the middle of the park with those selections. It’s looking likely to be a long evening. Lots of last ditch defending, isolated strikers and long balls straight to the Arsenal defence coming up! I suspect a regulation 2-0 home victory incoming!

It would be the same midfield 3 if it was 4-3-3...

• Like 1

Guess Bailey (and Traore) are not fit enough to be worth risking to start them so it's 5 at the back again. Makes sense I guess. 

Hope we revert to 4-3-3 once Bailey is 100%

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m not loving it. Ings and Watkins partnership looks clumsy, certainly hasn’t clicked though in fairness Danny is scoring goals. Not the same dog in Watkins as there was last season. No genuine threatning width. Cash and Targett don’t look enamoured by the role. Hope we see Sanson at some stage. Good player.

Just now, blunther said:

Don't like it. Hope I'm proved wrong. 

Exactly the same for me

Not really impressed we are sacrificing attacking talent to accomodate a CB who isnt even our player

If Smith is insistent on Ings and Watkins, that can still happen with a back 4

• Like 2

Lol just me who likes this formation then? 😂

For me I like that it allows cash, targett and McGinn more creative freedom.

Obviously when Bailey is fully fit I’d like a change up as he needs to be starting as much as possible.

Just now, Tommo_b said:

Obviously when Bailey is fully fit I’d like a change up as he needs to be starting as much as possible.

cash and mcginn maybe, targett has been rubbish so far in this formation

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

That is true but 9 of those times are this and the previous 8 games. That is starting to look like a trend

Maybe, but to say “he’s obsessed with the formation and will never change” is demonstrably wrong. I’m not keen on the formation either but making stuff up to for a narrative is poor. 

Edited by av1

1 minute ago, Tommo_b said:

No I like the formation as well , but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best use of the personell available?

We'll see.

Problem is it heavily relies on the Fullbacks not being shit, and our defenders being switched on.

3 minutes ago, andym said:

Exactly the same for me

Not really impressed we are sacrificing attacking talent to accomodate a CB who isnt even our player

If Smith is insistent on Ings and Watkins, that can still happen with a back 4

He obviously doesn't see ings or Watkins playing wide

The 5 at the back is a width thing imo

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

What I don't understand is why is Tuanzebe playing every week. Is there some kind of thing in his loan deal that says he must play, I'm not sure why there woiuld be, it's not like he's an established player at this level.

Our young players go out on loan to sh*tty teams like Ipswich in League 1 and don't get played, why are we playing this 5th choice Man Yoo CB every week. He was rubbish against Wolves. 

Could easily play Nakamba instead of Tuanzebe or even El Ghazi and go more attacking. We'll once again have no width in midfield today. 

Really think the manager has turned from being an attacking manager into a cautious defensive one. 

Indeed, if we're playing this formation I'd rather play Hause, our own player who's not let us down when he's come in. Harsh to leave him out. 

• Like 3