Pre match thread

roonst83

Assume we’ll be keeping the 5-3-2 given that it’s unlikely we’ll have Bailey or Traore available. We need to find a way of getting the best out of Watkins and Ings. Playing them both together seems to nullify both of their attacking qualities and neither seem to be able to get though or behind a defence. 

As always, our midfield is crucial to this game. McGinn seemed better when given more licence to get further up the field. I expect Buendia to start after impressing against Wolves and his perfect through ball to Ings’s chance is precisely what we need from him as and when he gets a sniff. 

If we can score early then their fans may get on their backs. Although if they smash Palace on Monday then they may be more buoyant. My main concern is how fragile and sloppy we became as soon as we conceded the first goal against Wolves. 

Boy, do we need a response. Doubt that Bailey will start if he makes an appearance at all.

Wouldn't surprise me to see 3-5-2 again.

Even if we lose, we have to show mental toughness. No brain dead mistakes or capitulations.

Edited by maqroll

It’s not looking good for this one. They have hit form recently and despite a couple of good performances overall, our season has been disappointing thus far. It’s hard to see anything other than another defeat here. We just have to get the performance right. We are still way too easy to get at and pretty toothless up front. I would take a draw now to be honest but suspect a regulation 2-0.

I can’t dwell on the weekend result any longer and need to look ahead to Arsenal away on Friday evening. We need a bounce back performance here for sure.

Now, last season we had some fantastic performances against some real top teams and this without the need to play 3 or 5 at the back. I really think Deano needs to mix it up a little and revert to his tried and trusted formation. Call it 433 or 4231, have some guts and drop the two up top for now. 

My guess is he won’t though and we’ll see 352 again but with one or two changes in personnel possibly. However, my preference would be to see two wide players up with a lone striker and stretch that Arsenal defence like last season. We completely blew them away last year with the speed of our counter attacks and would love to see that kind of performance again. Be brave Dean:

Martinez

Cash         Konsa             Mings       Targett                    

Luiz                 

McGinn                 Sanson

Buendia               Ings                     El Ghazi

Subs:  Steer, Tuanzebe, Hause, Young, Ramsey, Carney, Traore, Bailey, Watkins

It’s a risk and perhaps controversial to leave out Watkins and I wouldn’t be against him having a spot on the left of a front three but I’m not sure if he’d be disciplined enough to stick with it. If we had a fully fit squad then Bailey would start obviously but he’s likely to only make the bench.  

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 3

We generally match up well v Arsenal. Since Arteta came in we've beaten them by aggregate of 5-0 and even the 3-2 loss there we completely messed up despite playing really well (some very questionable second half decisions from DS IIRC cost us).

So regardless of yesterday Arsenal away is no longer a game that we should just write off pre kick off.

Interesting how we play this. Given how Arsenal came out v Spurs and our collapse yesterday think the logical tactic would be just to sit deep and wait for chances on the break so if it's 0-0 by the hour mark that's good from us.

Got the feeling though it will be end to end. I'll go for an entertaining 2-2.

11 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Don’t know how I’m gonna muster the motivation to watch this

Why? We played brilliantly there last season. We'll create chances. We'll concede chances so if it's interesting game for the neutral so I don't see why a fan of one of the clubs wouldn't want to watch.

You're not another of these "top 6 at all costs otherwise it's the end of the world" types?

I'm surprised at the negativity as I've found this season interesting in how we're rebuilding the team. I enjoyed watching us v Brentford (probably more due to being back at VP for first time in 18 months), Chelsea in how we played, Man. United for obvious reasons and Everton (second half) so this idea the season has been a disaster from start to finish is a little bit misguided compared to some of the months of dross we've served up in most seasons in the last decade.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Why? We played brilliantly there last season. We'll create chances. We'll concede chances so if it's interesting game for the neutral so I don't see why a fan of one of the clubs wouldn't want to watch.

You're not another of these "top 6 at all costs otherwise it's the end of the world" types?

Nah I was just having a whinge because of how spirit crushing Saturday was.

Anyway, back to it...5-3-2 in the bin

…………….Martinez...…………

Cash...Konsa...Mings….Targett

…………………..Luiz...…………….

………….Sanson….McGinn......

Buendia………………………...El Ghazi

…………………...Ings……………………...

• Like 3

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I'm surprised at the negativity as I've found this season interesting in how we're rebuilding the team. I enjoyed watching us v Brentford (probably more due to being back at VP for first time in 18 months), Chelsea in how we played, Man. United for obvious reasons and Everton (second half) so this idea the season has been a disaster from start to finish is a little bit misguided compared to some of the months of dross we've served up in most seasons in the last decade.

Yep that’s were I am too. It’s a frustrating season so far if anything because of what could have been but there’s plenty of positives to take. 

Bizarre so many people desperate to go back to 4-3-3 off the back of a performance we were utterly dominant in for 80mins. 

• Like 2

Given we have beaten them the last three times that we have played them, have recorded clean sheets on each of those occasions and beat them 3-0 on their own patch last season, I would not expect that too many Gooners would see this as a gimme. We will not arrive there on the back of a win, but we should have and although Coral make us 13/4 for this, Arsenal after a poor start to the season will begin the game only 3 points ahead of us, at best. I'm hoping to see a bit more of this:

image.jpeg.be6c6f67e545429c36eaca8f84670d34.jpeg image.jpeg.2466b388dab96e74c459b3c1c6e4b8f4.jpeg image.jpeg.94663eec20432959a6cadc0a5b62c2fa.jpeg image.jpeg.4c436b61522b2570cd79d4ead397c23e.jpeg

• Like 1

Ings or Watkins need to be dropped for this one, and we should go 4 at the Back this isn’t me hating on the 3-5-2 either it has it place and time but shouldn’t be our formation by default just because we have 2 good strikers 

Edited by gwi1890
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Quick turnaround for Arsenal with this game being Friday night. Lets hope the 2 extra days rest count for something. Need a big response.

In our experience, this usually has absolutely no positive effect for us and teams tend to bizarrely do better when they have less time between games than we do.