Crimes of History. A reckoning?

TheAuthority

I think talking about the economic ‘left’ vs ‘right’ labels is kind of pointless when looking at ‘culture war’ issues. It’s social conservatives arguing with social progressives but it doesn’t always correlate with an economic position. 

• Like 2

The far left have never been in government. The progressive changes that have happened in laws have been absolutely great and because we have functioning democracies in most of Europe we can keep the progression ticking along in the right direction without the fear of what has happened in the US where they're going the other way. They don't have a functional democracy so passing laws is impossible now. It's all supreme court rulings that impact law there now.

It's discourse that's become so polarised that is making open discussion in an attempt to find common ground less common now. Look at the last general election in UK. We had Corbyn and Boris extreme candidates at head of the two major parties. I'm optimistic because Starmer is more centrist. 

But let's just take transgendism as an example of the polarisation of discourse. Gender dysphoria is a thing people suffer with and for many of those people SRS is the ultimate aim for them. Often the end of a long road of struggling with the mental health issues that being born in the wrong body would have on a person. No decent human being can have any issue with that. 

But then there is SRS happening on kids. Kids being diagnosed at 7yo as having Dysphoria. If you want to ask questions and have a discussion about is this right, what laws should we have on this. Should we not wait until the person is an adult and then allow them decision on irreparable surgical procedures or hormone blockers on their persons. 

This kind of discourse is impossible. As immediately you're transphobic for questioning things other people believe strongly in. I only use that as an example of discourse now just totally polarised and both sides are polarised. It's worse on the right because they have access to power and thus have ways of harming the progression of society.

But we're at a point where things like thin privilege is now a thing! Now I know there are midical reasons for some obesity and that is not the fault of those people but at the same time there are two people one who wants to eat shit and be lazy and another who wants to eat healthy and exercise. So we need to at least have people accepting their own life choices and the consequences. 

You simply cannot have a debate anymore, where at the beginning of a discussion you haven't made your mind up on something but you have questions. Then by the end you're like, yeah I understand a lot more now. It's always which side are you on, pick one at the beginning and stand with them. 

I'm Irish, probably Britain's oldest colony. A country half the population it was in 1830 because of the starvation of a population during a famine by our colonial overlords. Do I think that any current person on earth is liable for what happened or owes us (who did not love at the time) anything? Of course not. I just wish people agreed on one history and people read history. If people knew more about history and what people have done on the past there would be a lot more humanity on the present. 

20 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I'm Irish, probably Britain's oldest colony. A country half the population it was in 1830 because of the starvation of a population during a famine by our colonial overlords. Do I think that any current person on earth is liable for what happened or owes us (who did not love at the time) anything? Of course not. I just wish people agreed on one history and people read history. If people knew more about history and what people have done on the past there would be a lot more humanity on the present

Spot-on. The problem, though, is agreeing on 'one history'. All history writing is biased in some way or other. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, CVByrne said:

If people knew more about history and what people have done on the past there would be a lot more humanity on the present. 

Yes and no.  A normal,  reasonable human learns lessons from history.  Other find justification for their extremist views by only looking at the bits that confirm their bias.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Yes and no.  A normal,  reasonable human learns lessons from history.  Other find justification for their extremist views by only looking at the bits that confirm their bias.  

Which thousand year old book of childrens stories are you referring to in particular? 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Which thousand year old book of childrens stories are you referring to in particular? 

That one obviously.  

But there are many others versions of history that are not entirely correct but served a purpose. 

Ukraine has always been part of Russia. The Jews caused Germany to lose WW1.  Britain stood alone in 1939.  Birmingham City is a football club.  Iraq has weapons of mass destruction.  The EU wanted to ban our sausages.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Ukraine has always been part of Russia. The Jews caused Germany to lose WW1.  Britain stood alone in 1939.  Birmingham City is a football club.  Iraq has weapons of mass destruction.  The EU wanted to ban our sausages.  

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47hnzlbpda4kkyn5y5tb

• Like 2

Â