You won the Euro Millions, what do you buy?

Genie

I do love the "it's how much?!, better play it tonight!" because £3mil ( or whatever it is most weeks) just isn't worth it :D 

I was thinking about this a couple of weeks ago, what I'd do. I'd be anonymous, not having any **** knowing. And honestly, I reckon it'd be a few months before I quit my boring job.  I'd need time to process it and how to deal with it all. I'd definitely be taking the financial advice on offer. 

Like I came to the conclusion that winning £1-5million would be a lot easier to deal with, sort yourself out and your family and friends, but £200mill is just insane. There'd be so much pressure to do lot's with it. 

I'd be both investing in schemes to help the environment and also jetting off on holiday so wouldn't be very consistent. Invest in local schools, there would be charitable contributions, but I'm not sure how best it would be, one off big donations, or try and support something that eventually can support itself. 

I wouldn't move house immediately. We only moved in 2 years ago and we're enjoying making it our own space and house moves are hell. I'd still stay put and drive my 10 year old honda jazz for a good while I suspect. EDIT: Would probably trade it in for an electric car eventually. Wouldn't want neighbours or anyone giving us grief if they suspected anything. Indeed I'd be glad of winning the lottery now more so than in my younger days when I would piss it all away and probably let it change me badly.

The big expenses would be holidays, and a wardrobe, a new kitchen, I'd do our little backyard up properly, give us some more privacy.  I'd load up on our parents, and siblings, and I'd order my folks to relax.  I'd tell a close friend or two, but that would be it and try to maintain a normal life as much as possible. 

I'd allow myself time to pursue something creative, maybe try and write a book ( with absolutely no excuse in the slightest for trying ) and I'd buy a vatload of the fanciest whiskies on the planet. 

Edited by Rodders

Firstly I wouldn't tell anyone except my immediate family. They'd get a million each but be sworn to secrecy as to how much I'd won.

I'd hand in my notice, buy a nice house, a nice car and make some considerable charity donations.

Then I'd put the rest in the bank and live off the interest

42 minutes ago, Genie said:

I like the idea of building a house from scratch but I just don’t have the imagination for it. Once it was finished i’d probably think of loads of things I should have done.

I look at some millionaire pads and think wow, I wouldn’t be we have thought of this. 

I’d probably just copy someone else’s house.

That's pretty much what I'd do, or at least I'd steal bits of people's ideas from Grand Designs anyway. I'm no architect, I just like looking at nice spaces and sometimes fantasise about living in them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Firstly I wouldn't tell anyone except my immediate family. They'd get a million each but be sworn to secrecy as to how much I'd won.

I'd hand in my notice, buy a nice house, a nice car and make some considerable charity donations.

Then I'd put the rest in the bank and live off the interest

it amazes me that nearly every **** that wins these big jackpots goes public. why on earth would anyone do that

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

it amazes me that nearly every **** that wins these big jackpots goes public. why on earth would anyone do that

I have no idea. I actually can't think of a good reason why you would want to go public.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I have no idea. I actually can't think of a good reason why you would want to go public.

I assume they advise it because the press would track you down and splash you over the papers anyway. 

Could be wrong though.

3 hours ago, Anthony said:

Pay off the mortgage. Various jobs around the flat.

Sort out friends and family.

Get a good lawyer and wrest control the my flat's freehold from the current arsehole.

Get me teef fixed.

Help out some charities. Local/national/international.

I would not buy a car. **** cars. If I absolutely need one I would hire one.

Don't worry about the cars. I'd get 50, so would have enough for the both of us. 

As others have said, £184m would be scary to win! I wouldn't tell anyone apart from my parents. I'd go on holiday for a couple of weeks just to have some thinking space. I'd give my folks whatever they needed. 

I'd probably give my closest mates £1m each, subject to signing an NDA!

I like @Mark Albrighton's idea of being a pub owner... but definitely not working there! I'd just prop the bar up or sit in the corner reading! Probably a nice country pub that serves good food... plus i'd also have a city centre pub that would rival the Wellington in terms of cask ales. I'd make sure I promoted all the local breweries. I'd re-open the Crown by New St Station. First place Black Sabbath played if i'm not mistaken? Owned by a Japanese developer I think so i'd purchase it back, make it a real ale heaven and find a way to honour its rich history with local music

QFb020C.jpeg

In terms of properties... i'd buy something quirky to live in. Like a windmill or old pumping station. Something with character. I'd also own a coastal property (North Norfolk) and maybe a London bolthole... Hampstead ideally. 

After all that i'd probably still have in excess of £150m! 

What next? Maybe a non-league football team?! What better way to spend money than be involved in football!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Genie said:

Tonight will see the biggest ever jackpot up for grabs, £184,000,000.

What would you spend it on?

I would use a bit of it bringing over the whole of the Ghanaian Village Villans to a couple of games.

A couple of quid on 100 random genuine homeless people (not junkie beggers) and sort them out accommodation of sorts.

A few quid to some children's hospitals and help to those that really need help for life saving equipment/operations that cannot get it/afford it.

Then go on holiday somewhere for a month and think what I will do with the rest.

But I would definately remain anonymous and would tell no ****.

• Like 3

The only thing that I would buy would be a house and a dog, that'd be it for starters.

I don't have much to my name but I don't need much either, I'm a very simple fella, obviously there would be some other luxury items but a house and a dog would be the first things I would want.

Â