Women's Football

YLN

• 2 weeks later...

I see Kenny Shiels, the manager of the Northern Ireland women's team, is in trouble after saying that women are more emotional than men and tend to concede goals, soon after they've have let one in.

Having followed the women's game for a decade or so, I can confirm that this is true but I am sure you are not allowed to say so, even if it might help the development of the women's game.

He offered some statistics as evidence but he's still had to apologise.

I can remember Phil Neville giving Beth Mead a bollocking when she was playing for England, and she burst into tears, which left him completely nonplussed.

Luckily, Kenny Shiels wasn't asked to define "woman", or his career would be over.

27 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I see Kenny Shiels, the manager of the Northern Ireland women's team, is in trouble after saying that women are more emotional than men and tend to concede goals, soon after they've have let one in.

Having followed the women's game for a decade or so, I can confirm that this is true but I am sure you are not allowed to say so, even if it might help the development of the women's game.

He offered some statistics as evidence but he's still had to apologise.

I can remember Phil Neville giving Beth Mead a bollocking when she was playing for England, and she burst into tears, which left him completely nonplussed.

Luckily, Kenny Shiels wasn't asked to define "woman", or his career would be over.

Thing is Kenny Shiels is one of the biggest rocket polishers in football management. He has never blamed himself for a loss and always has a few excuses lined up

I wouldnt mind he is not exactly a top class coach

4 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I see Kenny Shiels, the manager of the Northern Ireland women's team, is in trouble after saying that women are more emotional than men

I wouldn't mind but after he said this half of them burst into tears and the rest threw a hissy fit. 

tenor.gif

• Haha 2

Well the Barry Women’s team stayed in the Welsh Prem today by the skin of their teeth.

Went in to the day in the relegation spot and needing a combination of results to stay up.

The results happened, Port Talbot lost, Ponty lost, we won. Five goal difference between our win and their heavy defeat.

Stayed up on goal difference! Proper drama.

Better value entertainment than the men’s team this year.

• 2 months later...

With the football game at total shambles (WC in Qatar, top clubs wanting to create their own league, corruption cases in FIFA and allowing dirty money into the game), I am looking forward to watch some of the Euro Championship matches. Specially the Norwegian matches, where er have a couple of high profile players. It's ridiculous that Ada Hegerberg had a yearly wage at 425 000 US dollars, after winning the Ballon D'or (for women) once and Champions League final 3 og 4 times.

Edited by DeepDish

To be honest it's good to see a free flowing game of footy without the diving, cheating, shirt pulling, feigning injury and histrionics that plagues the mens game. 

Plus the referee is doing a reasonable job of referring a game of football rather than trying to grab the limelight for all the wrong reasons....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeepDish said:

With the football game at total shambles (WC in Qatar, top clubs wanting to create their own league, corruption cases in FIFA and allowing dirty money into the game), I am looking forward to watch some of the Euro Championship matches. Specially the Norwegian matches, where er have a couple of high profile players. It's ridiculous that Ada Hegerberg had a yearly wage at 425 000 US dollars, after winning the Ballon D'or (for women) once and Champions League final 3 og 4 times.

I don't think it's ridiculous. What should she be earning? It's reflective of the level of play and the interest in the Women's game in general. Certain sections of the media are intent on giving it the same coverage as the men's game but the reality is the interest is nowhere near as high. The average attendance of the Women's Premier League is less than 1,200. 

9 hours ago, chips'ngravy said:

I don't think it's ridiculous. What should she be earning? It's reflective of the level of play and the interest in the Women's game in general. Certain sections of the media are intent on giving it the same coverage as the men's game but the reality is the interest is nowhere near as high. The average attendance of the Women's Premier League is less than 1,200. 

This is a good point about the attendances, they still need to go up a lot more partly so that there can be more money for women's football and then higher player salaries (and perhaps some better coaches too). I guess part of achieving that might be inceasing the promotion of the games a bit more. I've been following England and Villa women's football since 2011 and intend to go to a few games in the next few years, I can never get a ticket for the men's these days anyway when I try to. I haven't been able to afford a season ticket. (I hope the stadium extension will help me to get to watch a few matches again!)

It might help soon as well if some of the free to watch games were made pay to view only, perhaps via club websites like ours. I would pay £5 a match for some matches or maybe a yearly subscription to try to help increase the funds in the women's game and as a result gradually raise the standard of the play, in the interests of equality. More very talented girls would properly try to make it as a pro footballer if there were decent salaries right across the WSL and then the women's championship too.

Â