Women's Football

YLN

I think I am a sexist. I was having a chat with my girlfriend and she confirmed it. I get annoyed when I see Women's football on the sky sports website. This morning every third article on the main page, not even the football page, was about women's soccer. Now I know it's the international window and there's no other football happening, but I have absolutely no interest in reading about it, and for some reason, being exposed to it annoys me. And the reason for that is that I am a sexist.

I completely follow the logic that if they can't see it, they can't be it, and I am fully in favour of anything that gets girls and women into sport as it's a healthy past time. As long as I don't have to see it. I would rather read articles about how League 2 players are doing than read about women's football.

During the summer there was an article on the sky sports website that said, James moves to Man Utd from Chelsea. And it was the most read article on Sky Sports. Because people thought it was about Reece James moving to Man Utd from Chelsea, but it was about his sister/cousin. And it was so misleading. And annoying.

It's an unreasonable request I know, and I don't not like women or think that they shouldn't play professional football. I just have no interest in it. And it may as well be a different sport. Football for me is an entertainment pursuit, like watching a TV show I like, where I'm wishing some characters do well, and others I want ill to befall them. I'm the modern football fan, who doesn't have any real notions about ownership of the team or club, but just enjoy the spectacle and the drama. 

So when I go to read about the latest drama, and instead I'm presented with a load of information about some other drama that I have no interest in, I get annoyed. It would be like putting on an episode of Breaking Bad, but instead of Breaking Bad, every ten minutes they splice in five minutes of a similar far inferior show about characters you don't know and have no interest in getting to know, like Coronation Street.

But then again it's not for me. It's for women who go on the sky sports website and get presented with information that women's football is just as valuable as men's football, so that they might consider going to a women's match, or starting to play for their local side.

TLDR: If I want to read about football, I want to read about men's football. As far as my interest in it goes, women's football is basically cricket. But this recent push to increase visibility is annoying me to the point that I needed to post about it on VT and admit to being a massive sexist.

• Like 1

The WSL is being shown live on the BBC now. The popularity of the game has grown and the standards are increasing all the time. Womens sport is really taking off now. They played the womens 100 tournament in cricket alongside the mens  and it achieved crowds which hadnt been seen before at womens domestic cricket.

I don't know why, but the most irksome part of this post is the part where you implied Coronation Street is similar to Breaking Bad.

You said it may as well be a different sport, and this is probably the best way to look at it. People deride it because top WSL players are notably inferior to even average PL players due to the biological advantage men have, but that's like directly comparing Roger Federer to Serena Williams. People don't do it, because it's technically a different sport.

It's also worth noting that the technical level of the women's game is generally far lower than the men's game because of the massive disparity in funding. Over time, the women's game will become more of a spectacle as a direct result of this exposure they're enjoying.

I find it interesting. I'm enjoying watching Villa's steady improvement and I'm trying to get to know more about the sport in general. I'm at a point where I can recognise some of the bigger names, and I have a decent grasp of our best 11.

• Like 2

Even though I never really watch it myself,  but respect to the women who play it professionally. They are still very much athletes in their own right and I'm sure work hard to be the best they can be on a daily basis.

• Like 2

Pretty cool scenes in Sweden over the weekend where there was a local derby in Stockholm between Hammarby and AIK who both have massive support for their mens sides. And with the international break happening they instead went out to support the women sides with around 18.500 turning up. As well as the traditional march to the stadium

Fans of Hammarby IF have gone viral after creating an incredible atmosphere for the team’s Stockholm derby with AIK.

Hammarby beat their rivals 4-1, with Madelen Janogy, Alice Carlsson, Berglind Björg Þorvaldsdóttir and Emma Jansson all on the scoresheet. Honoka Hayashi scored the solitary goal for AIK.

The home side secured victory in front of a record 18,537 attendance, with jubilant fans packed into the Tele2 Arena.

https://www.givemesport.com/1766406-hammarby-if-fans-go-viral-after-creating-insane-atmosphere-for-womens-team

• Like 4

On 07/10/2021 at 17:46, villalad21 said:

I don't have a massive issue with it.

The problem is they are trying to push it down our throats.

Are they? It's nowhere near as prevalent as the men's game. It's certainly not shoved down anybody's throat.

• 1 month later...

Just checked some of the scores from the qualifiers today..

Armenia - Norway 0-10

Lithuania - Switzerland 0-7

Ireland - Georgia 11-0

England - Latvia 20-0

Luxembourg - Austria 0-8

Spain - Scotland 8-0

This isn't good, and is making a mockery of the sport and it's lack of competitiveness.

For all the progress  Women's football still have a long way to go.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, a m ole said:

San-Marino-0-10-ten-England-700x367.jpg

San Marino though. Aren't they the lowest ranked team in the Europe?

Rest of the results in that round looked normal and competitive.

Point is you see these ridiculous scores in women's football way more frequently than it seems you should.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Just checked some of the scores from the qualifiers today..

Armenia - Norway 0-10

Lithuania - Switzerland 0-7

Ireland - Georgia 11-0

England - Latvia 20-0

Luxembourg - Austria 0-8

Spain - Scotland 8-0

This isn't good, and is making a mockery of the sport and it's lack of competitiveness.

For all the progress  Women's football still have a long way to go.

To be fair to Georgia she had to take on the whole Ireland team by herself

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm a bit indifferent to it personally...

Fed up yesterday when they spoke about women's football at great length on the radio to the point that I changed the channel.

It's like music, we all have different tastes and likes but there is no accounting for quality.

Just now, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I'm a bit indifferent to it personally...

Fed up yesterday when they spoke about women's football at great length on the radio to the point that I changed the channel.

It's like music, we all have different tastes and likes but there is no accounting for quality.

I always enjoy watching the women's World Cup but the quality at domestic and CL is very disappointing.

Those who promote the women's game, are convinced that it is only lack of exposure which robs the women's game of public appreciation - there doesn't seem to be much evidence for that.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

San Marino though. Aren't they the lowest ranked team in the Europe?

Rest of the results in that round looked normal and competitive.

Point is you see these ridiculous scores in women's football way more frequently than it seems you should.

Professional versus amateur. It’s the same for the Women’s game results.

It's a really poor product and it will continue to be a really poor product until they reduce the goalposts and the pitch sizes.

It's slow. It's tedious. It's not an enjoyable watch. It's growing indeed but I'm not sure how far it can grow now.

It's been shoved down people's throats and still hardly anyone watches it.

Â