Data breaches

Chindie

I'm sure we had a data beach thread but I can't find it on a search... Anywho to get a btw topic underway, Twitch, 'the' streaming platform that Amazon bought a few years back, has had an enormous leak that seems to just be the entire company's dirty laundry being aired

Twitch appears to have been hacked, leaking source code for the company’s streaming service, an unreleased Steam competitor from Amazon Game Studios, and details of creator payouts. An anonymous poster on the 4chan messaging board has released a 125GB torrent, which they claim includes the entirety of Twitch and its commit history.

Ooft

A lot of people seem to be losing their shit at the amount of money these people are earning, like they don't deserve the money. It's a bit baffling to me tbh. People pay subs to join their channel and most of them get 50% of that (some higher). If they've managed to get that many people subscribing to watch them  then... really what is the issue? Would these people prefer that they didn't get as high a percentage andf that Twitch took more?

It seems like people are mostly jealous of others earning potential and the ones that seem most upset are the ones that seem to be paying it. Jealousy I guess wrapped up with, you earn a shitload, charge me less. There is a simple solution here...

I do get the point @HanoiVillanwas making about the gambling advertising income they generate and that is a different matter. That really does need to be regulated but that is an entirely different issue

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

A lot of people seem to be losing their shit at the amount of money these people are earning, like they don't deserve the money. It's a bit baffling to me tbh. People pay subs to join their channel and most of them get 50% of that (some higher). If they've managed to get that many people subscribing to watch them  then... really what is the issue? Would these people prefer that they didn't get as high a percentage andf that Twitch took more?

It seems like people are mostly jealous of others earning potential and the ones that seem most upset are the ones that seem to be paying it. Jealousy I guess wrapped up with, you earn a shitload, charge me less. There is a simple solution here...

I do get the point @HanoiVillanwas making about the gambling advertising income they generate and that is a different matter. That really does need to be regulated but that is an entirely different issue

The only aspect I don’t like is that the majority of the views they get are from children, there’s something that feels slightly exploitative about how much they make from kids.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, a m ole said:

The only aspect I don’t like is that the majority of the views they get are from children, there’s something that feels slightly exploitative about how much they make from kids.

I feel that way about The Teletubbies. Pure scum, especially Tinky-Winky, he's on the list for sure. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

Nah, there are whole industries whose whole basis is to make money out of children. If it's that then why are people not losing their shit at Sony, Nintendo, lego, J.k. Rowling, Mattel, Kellogs...

If people weren't allowed to make money out of children, then kids would literally have no fun

56 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nah, there are whole industries whose whole basis is to make money out of children. If it's that then why are people not losing their shit at Sony, Nintendo, lego, J.k. Rowling, Mattel, Kellogs...

If people weren't allowed to make money out of children, then kids would literally have no fun

I know, I think it’s the directness of access they have? I can’t explain why but it feels different to me.

56 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

That's why we need to send children out to work.

My chimney hasn't been swept for decades.  The bloody adult sweep charges a fortune. 

• Haha 1

Â