Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

4 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

It’ll be interesting to hear Deano’s presser tomorrow about who’s fit and who’s back safely from international duty. The biggest issue is surely Martinez but quite simply he needs to start regardless of fatigue. He’s that important and breeds confidence to the rest of the team.

Wolves will be dangerous no question but I don’t believe they’re at the same level of that under Nuno. They lost a very good keeper in the summer, Boly, Dendonker and Traore aren’t regular starters so far this season, Jimenez is still feeling his way back and Trincao is out with Covid. So their only positive so far is the form of Hwang that I can see.

Personally, we have to play three in the middle of midfield and get on top of Neves and Moutinho.  If Luiz is missing, then it’s Nakamba with McGinn and Ramsey. Unfortunately, I don’t see Bailey, Traore, Sanson starting either due to fitness but let’s hope they make the bench. It’s then the issue of whether to start with three at the back and the Ings/Watkins combination? It’s not my preference but it’s exactly what I think Dean will start with. I’d rather we play a back four and two wide men next to one striker, especially when we’re at home but I don’t see it.

Martinez

Tuanzebe      Konsa        Mings

Cash                      Nakamba                  Targett

McGinn                 Ramsey

Ings               Watkins

Subs:  Steer, Hause, Young, Sanson, Buendia, Carney, El Ghazi, Traore, Bailey

My concern, still lies in midfield.....if we can crack that, we win the game.....we need some 7-8 performances there.

Ings and Watkins, obviously need to click, but they would put concern in to any team.

Will be interesting.

Wolves is a completely different outfit post Nuno.

They are actually a front foot team now so we won't have as hard of a time creating chances against them.

Adama against Targett always a concern though. Think I would consider Ash.

5 hours ago, Bizzzle said:

I didn't at neither Newcastle or Brentford but don't know if it has changed now.

I can't see how they can have time to look at 40 odd thousand negative test results anyway 

they don't. at grounds where they have an official policy like chelsea, there are so many people they simply do not have time to check. i was in the process of taking my phone out to show them and they just waved me through basically.

i think the lack of any official check is becuase AVFC know it's just a pointless exercise

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ender4 said:

That is for the most expensive tickets in one small section of the ground.  The rest of the tickets started from £38 I believe.

Zone 1 £55

Zone 2 £49.50

Zone 3 £46 

Zone 4 £37.50 

Zone 5 £35 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

No bailey

Quelle surpreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze.

He looks fantastic. Shame he seems made out of **** polystyrene.

• Like 1

With no Bailey I expect it could be 5-3-2 again.  Should overrun their barely mobile midfield and their defence looks poor on paper despite not conceding many.

I'm mostly concerned about us getting done and being exposed out wide particularly by a certain Mr Traore.

Edited by Wainy316

20 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Will be interesting.

Wolves is a completely different outfit post Nuno.

They are actually a front foot team now so we won't have as hard of a time creating chances against them.

Adama against Targett always a concern though. Think I would consider Ash.

I absolutely wouldn't. Young shouldn't be starting games for us. He's useful cover but I'm always against having right footed players as a left back. Young also isn't any quicker than Targett, or marginally so, at best. Adama is a threat no doubt but Targett gives us a lot on the ball and much better balance having him as LB. Plus, if we play three at the back then there's less reliance on Targett taking care of Traore as Mings or Tuanzebe will be asked to cover.

We should be looking for what our LB gives us going forwards and not just worrying about how we defend. The way we play we ask our full backs to push forward and contribute to the attacks. Targett is much more valuable to us going forwards and crossing etc from the left than Young. Young simply plays very simple, often sideways, passes most of the time. He has got a good brain but I think having Young over Target will completely nullify our offering going forwards.

Edited by roonst83

20 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Probably the best performance under Bruce. I think we then followed this up by losing to Bolton and QPR.

It was. Grealish absolutely bossed the game as an "8" from memory and completely showed Neves up.

Put us right back in contention and then we just fell away.  So Brucie!!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

It’ll be interesting to hear Deano’s presser tomorrow about who’s fit and who’s back safely from international duty. The biggest issue is surely Martinez but quite simply he needs to start regardless of fatigue. He’s that important and breeds confidence to the rest of the team.

Wolves will be dangerous no question but I don’t believe they’re at the same level of that under Nuno. They lost a very good keeper in the summer, Boly, Dendonker and Traore aren’t regular starters so far this season, Jimenez is still feeling his way back and Trincao is out with Covid. So their only positive so far is the form of Hwang that I can see.

Personally, we have to play three in the middle of midfield and get on top of Neves and Moutinho.  If Luiz is missing, then it’s Nakamba with McGinn and Ramsey. Unfortunately, I don’t see Bailey, Traore, Sanson starting either due to fitness but let’s hope they make the bench. It’s then the issue of whether to start with three at the back and the Ings/Watkins combination? It’s not my preference but it’s exactly what I think Dean will start with. I’d rather we play a back four and two wide men next to one striker, especially when we’re at home but I don’t see it.

Martinez

Tuanzebe      Konsa        Mings

Cash                      Nakamba                  Targett

McGinn                 Ramsey

Ings               Watkins

Subs:  Steer, Hause, Young, Sanson, Buendia, Carney, El Ghazi, Traore, Bailey

I agree, but if Bailey and Traore are not fit then I would go with the 3-5-2.

• Like 1

Midfield becomes interesting - Luiz won't get back home from Brazil until tonight, I'm not sure he'll be able to start - we have Sanson unlikely to start and Carney Chukwuemeka looking like he's a doubt.

McGinn, Nakamba and Ramsey are nailed on, but who we put on the bench becomes a question - I think there's a decent chance for Iroegbanum to make the matchday squad for the first time tomorrow.

• Like 4

I think Martinez will play, he's too key a player to leave out and he came back late before the Everton game and still played. Luiz I'm not sure, maybe only the bench, but we will see.

The Bailey injury saga continues, we signed an amazing player but how many games are we going to get out of him. I never realised he was this injury prone, no wonder no top club ever bought him. 

Assuming we stick with Ings and Watkins (not what I would do, but given injuries is probably a necessity), I'd maybe try 4-4-2 for this one.

-------------------------Martinez---------------------------

Cash---------Konsa---------Mings---------Targett

Buendia-----McGinn-----Nakamba-----Traore

--------------------Ings---------Watkins-----------------

If no Traore then either AEG comes in or maybe change to 3-4-1-2 with Buendia behind Ings and Watkins and Tuanzebe in for Traore. Hause has done well but he'd be back on the bench for me. I Luiz is available I'd be tempted to go 4-3-3 with McGinn, Luiz, Nakamba/Ramsey and Buendia, Ollie and Ings as a front three. 

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Midfield becomes interesting - Luiz won't get back home from Brazil until tonight, I'm not sure he'll be able to start - we have Sanson unlikely to start and Carney Chukwuemeka looking like he's a doubt.

McGinn, Nakamba and Ramsey are nailed on, but who we put on the bench becomes a question - I think there's a decent chance for Iroegbanum to make the matchday squad for the first time tomorrow.

i wonder if sanson might start you know

I have to say that I'm a watcher rather than a talker. We have great owners, a very good squad, and a manager who's risen to the challenges so far.

The international breaks are becoming so intrusive that in my opinion it's distorting our view of where Villa are currently at.

When our first team squad id is fully fit we'll be a handful for any Premier League team. Until then I'll watch and hopefully enjoy the matches.

2-1 to Villa.